Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed - Renault Laguna Coupe

• 18-01-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey all,

I've been looking at buying a new car for the past month now. I currently drive an Opel Astra Sport and am looking to get slightly bigger car that has a sport/business feel about it.

A few I've been looking at include the BMW Series 1 Coupe but the car that really caught my eye is the new Renault Laguna Coupe.

My main concern is on reliability - I've heard a lot of negative things on older versions of the laguna. I'm just wondering if anyone here can comment on the reliability of recent Laguna models?

Likewise, if you have any suggestions for similar types of car worth checking out would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

No worries about reliability, the current Laguna hatch is near the top of its class in the German ADAC (equivalent of our AA) reliability stats based on thousands of callouts. And the 3 year/100,000 mile warranty is better than most. AFAIK BMW and Audi have a 2 year warranty and other manufacturers that do have a 3 year warranty, often limit it to 60k miles.

But whatever you do, don't pay anywhere close to list price for a coupe, should probably get at least a 10k discount if buying straight. Also the car is said to have a very hard ride so take a good test drive before commiting. And the CO2 emissions and therefore motor tax are relatively high compared to Audi/BMW cars with similar or more power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Matt L Dublin

Thanks Brian for the reply and advice - it's reassuring to hear that re: reliability. It seems to be more with the older Laguna models that ppl had problems.

I've been offered a really good deal to be honest.

I'll check that out re: tax costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lordnoah

I would have thought Renault must have improved their reliability by now but seemingly not. Autocar magazine in the UK recently ran a long term test on one of these Laguna Coupes. The main problems were very hard ride (as mentioned here) and also a number of rattles from behind the dashboard. The car also had 2 recalls or 'adjustments' as Renault called them during its year with the magazine.

The road test was in the magazine sometime in Nov/Dec 09.

Having said that its a great looking car and it will be under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

hey. i think the coupe is the most beautiful car on the road at the moment. id agree i wouldnt pay anything close to list price especially as you will suffer from heavy depreciation .

I wouldnt worry that much about reliability as this seems to have improved greatly and it will have a 3 year warranty. Renault seems to be on the way up this year they have sold as many cars in the fist haalf of jan 2010 than they did in all jan of 2009. I know they have a very agressive price cutting policy but this they are doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't buy one unless you intend keeping it for life as you won't sell it in a hurry along with all the usual Renault problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

My family had Renaults over the years: 5, 19, Megane, etc so we're not exactly adverse to French cars, but our last Laguna II was such a fragile basket case that I would never look at another again.

Even though I accept that Renualt has come on in leaps and bounds with the new one, and it is one of the best looking cars on the road, I'd have to advise against it.

If you're looking for a diesel coupe with a bit of flair, I'd consider an Alfa GT or even better a 2008 onwards Brera 2.4 diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

As mentioned already, the ride has been criticised all round, don't expect cosseting French ride quality, make sure you can live with it, a shame really as the car does look great.

Advertisement