Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the deal with DAB then? Is my radio broken?

• 18-01-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I bought one of these...

marshall-dab-radio.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Evoke-Marshall-Special-1xt/dp/B000NJXZSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263837391&sr=8-1

...about two or so years back now and for the last year it hasn't been getting any signal. I live in Kildare but I never had any problem getting any of the Dublin DAB stations, such as Phantom, when they were on trial when I bought it. Now I don't seem to be able to get any DAB station at all.

On the face of it, the radio seems to be working ok but I can never get any signal anymore. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

dceire wrote: »
    I bought one of these...

marshall-dab-radio.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Evoke-Marshall-Special-1xt/dp/B000NJXZSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263837391&sr=8-1

...about two or so years back now and for the last year it hasn't been getting any signal. I live in Kildare but I never had any problem getting any of the Dublin DAB stations, such as Phantom, when they were on trial when I bought it. Now I don't seem to be able to get any DAB station at all.

On the face of it, the radio seems to be working ok but I can never get any signal anymore. Any suggestions?

Have you re-scanned recently? Press Menu and scroll until you find auto tune or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Some of the DAB broadcasts recently aren't working properly, since christmas . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Can't be of any help.

But that's one cool looking wireless brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Radio|Man wrote: »
    Have you re-scanned recently? Press Menu and scroll until you find auto tune or something similar.

Yea, I tried the whole 'ture it off and on again' trick and used the auto-scan but no stations could be found. I also found an option asking if I wanted to update but I don't have the required usb cable to try it out.

Ntlbell - Truthfully the only reason I bought it was because it looks so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

Some issues with Kippure at present due to fall out from heavy snow fall.

Kildare/Naas in a shadow at present I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

I was told that I had been bought a DAB for christmas and my heart sank as I can't, myself, see the point of listening to Radio by DAB signal as opposed to a conventional signal. Besides which, I also listen to UK Radio and that's not available on DAB, I think.

However, what it turns out to be is an internet radio ( its 4 things - a FM radio, DAB radio, Internet Radio and it also plays music from your pc).

roberts_stream_202_silver_dab_wi-fi_radio.jpg

It's amazing and I can listen to radio ( or podcasts) from any country around the world. I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I was told that I had been bought a DAB for christmas and my heart sank as I can't, myself, see the point of listening to Radio by DAB signal as opposed to a conventional signal. Besides which, I also listen to UK Radio and that's not available on DAB, I think.

However, what it turns out to be is an internet radio ( its 4 things - a FM radio, DAB radio, Internet Radio and it also plays music from your pc).

It's amazing and I can listen to radio ( or podcasts) from any country around the world. I can't recommend it highly enough.

A pal of mine in Greystones has one and says its the business:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

It's interesting alright. It also can listen to podcasts from all around the world, which has changed the way I listen to radio. I wonder will internet radio have a big effect on radio and satellite tv has had on television?

I suspect it might, and hopefully it will shake up ORETE and make them produce some good programmes rather than plodding on with such programmes as Ronan collins spinning discs on RTE 1 for a hour each morning ( what is that about??) and Derek Mooney trying to sound cheerful in the afternoons, in spite of a programme almost totally devoid of talent or anything of interest.

Internet radio heralds the dawn of real competition in radio, and I welcome that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Internet radio heralds the dawn of real competition in radio, and I welcome that.

What about the other Nationals and the Local stations!

Yea, I tried the whole 'ture it off and on again' trick and used the auto-scan but no stations could be found. I also found an option asking if I wanted to update but I don't have the required usb cable to try it out.

I thought only RTÉ stations were available on DAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

OP you will probably need to do a software reset (usually just a combination of button presses when you turn the radio on) and it should then scan for and find DAB stations. This happens to my DAB radio occasionally.

You should definitely be able to receive DAB in Kildare, although you may need to extend the aeriel fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dceire wrote: »

Just to confirm to the OP will not be able to receive Phantom on DAB as only RTÉ stations are available on DAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Yes got one a christmas and even handier you can add uk feed of five live and sports extra to avoid being blocked my sports rights issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the father-in-law got this one for xmas too and I was impressed with the whole internet radio part. I was listening to Air Traffic Control from JFK tower for a while...as the family took the p*ss out of me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Elmo wrote: »
    Just to confirm to the OP will not be able to receive Phantom on DAB as only RTÉ stations are available on DAB.

Yea I know, I only had Phantom when they were trialing DAB but still had RTE stations when they stopped. The problem no is that I have no stations at all. :(

Can anyone tell me where they bought this radio? I believe it is a Roberts WM 202?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got mine from Amazon UK last May or thereabouts. I think Argos have them albeit at a heftier price than Amazon, suppose that might change if they've a new catalogue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Where and how Much???!!!!

WANT ONE NOW!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Peats, 200 blips.

Although I saw some electrical chain in Munster (T.J Something???) had them for 150. Can't recommend it highly enough, saving for a second one for my kitchen :)

Added bonus, now cancelled: for the last couple of weeks I've been able to get 5Live sports on it, but they are region blocked now. Someone must have noticed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

tbh wrote: »
    Peats, 200 blips.

Although I saw some electrical chain in Munster (T.J Something???) had them for 150. Can't recommend it highly enough, saving for a second one for my kitchen :)

Added bonus, now cancelled: for the last couple of weeks I've been able to get 5Live sports on it, but they are region blocked now. Someone must have noticed :(
    Yeah damn nuisance five live and five live sports extra stream now being blocked again for sports.If you find any links that work for sports on those channels let me know.

will do - same to you :)

• Advertisement

I bought another one yesterday in DID electrical for €169.95 as a present for my sister who lives abroad and can't buy an internet wifi radio. I sent it yesterday via AN Post's new courier service in conjunctino with DHL and am traching it at the moment on their website...it left heathrow at 7.30 this morning and here's hoping it will arrive in Johannesburg later this afternoon.

you got a roberts for 169?

tbh wrote: »
    you got a roberts for 169?

yes, a Roberts WM 202 from DID electrical for €169.95. I've got the receipt here in front of me. Petes have them for €199.99, but peats have never been interested in being competitive!

sweet! thanks for the heads-up.

Advertisement