Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Contents Insurance - Rented Accomodation

Options
  • 18-01-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi, I'm living in rented accomodation and don't seem to be able to source an insurance agency who will provide contents insurance to people that aren't home owners. Can anyone offer any advice as to where I might be able to find such cover?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you living in an apartment or renting a room? If it's a purpose built apartment, BOI will do contents only cover. However if you're sharing, you'll probably have to take out a joint policy with your housemates. If it's a house converted into flats, then I'm not sure where you'll get cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

A quick search on Google for "Tenant Insurance" found this
    http://www.getcover.ie/tenant-renters-insurance.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭thebiglad

So long as you are living in a self contained apartment or house you can insure the contents of said property which are owned by you subject to the insurers usual T&C for door and window locks etc.

Nothing owned by your landlord can be covered by you (they should have their own cover anyhow) and it is also difficult if you have a room in a shared house or bedsit.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

These are handy things to take note of when looking for insurance. These Ts&Cs are pretty standard with all insurance providers.
    The property must be let out to you as one unit, not as sub-divided units.
    In the event that your property forms part of a converted building, all entry and exit points must lead directly to the exterior of the building. IE your property cannot lead on to a shared corridor or hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

most insurers will provide contents only cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

Thanks for the replies.

My partner and I live in a house we rent from a well know letting agency, we don't share with anyone. I spoke to a couple of brokers and one major agency who I have my health insurance with and they all claimed it's 'not an area we currently deal in'. Getting to think insurance brokers view people in my circumstances as untouchables :rolleyes:

There wouldn't be a whole lot who do this insurance, however as Ogham suggested, getcover.ie do it. I also know Bank of Ireland definitely do it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Years ago, I had this trouble. A crowd called ecclesiasticles refused to cover me, then a broker in Dun Laoghaire, Cotter Insurances got me cover with.....ecclesasticles !

I dont know if they are still there but check the phone book.

Check different brokers. You should find someone.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

In the words of the dalai lama himself:

'Ah yis are very goooood'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

Hi, I know this is something we do at Chill.ie. If you want to get in touch, one of the team would be happy to help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Nearly every broker should get you a contents only quote for a self contained residence. Shop around and don't accept the 1st quote you get. It is a common policy to get as long as you are not in a high flood/claim area

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

I found FBD very good as a contents only quote

Advertisement