Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I work for free?

Options
  • 18-01-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    I’m currently studying an MBS in Management information and managerial accounting systems. Part of the course requires me to find a work placement within any industry relevant to the course (IT, Accounting, financial services, consulting). There is no definitive time on this work experience so if it was 3 months or 3 years my course directors would be happy. I've been looking since October for something suitable but haven't had any luck so far. I’m thinking about offering to work free of charge for the summer with the intention of getting my foot in the door for the future, any opinions/employers out there??

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

Well, it is something a lot of people do, depending on the field, as often an internship is the only way to get your foot in the door.

With that said, personally, I can't imagine working in the IT field or even the other ones you mentioned without being paid. But sometimes, you have to do what you have to do, especially if you need it to graduate. Just my .05 cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

tpotter wrote: »
    Well, it is something a lot of people do, depending on the field, as often an internship is the only way to get your foot in the door.

With that said, personally, I can't imagine working in the IT field or even the other ones you mentioned without being paid. But sometimes, you have to do what you have to do, especially if you need it to graduate. Just my .05 cents...

Contact the student placement part of your university and ask them to help set you up with a job. I think offering your self for free might look unprofessional to be honest. Companies hire people they need and are willing to pay them. Otherwise they don't have work they need done.

I think its admirable to consider working for free, I just don't think it will work when trying to get an internship in a large multi national.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Been there, done that....never ever work for free. You are giving your precious time so someone else can make money.

Three months experience is nothing anyway so don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

cronos wrote: »
    Contact the student placement part of your university and ask them to help set you up with a job. I think offering your self for free might look unprofessional to be honest. Companies hire people they need and are willing to pay them. Otherwise they don't have work they need done.

I think its admirable to consider working for free, I just don't think it will work when trying to get an internship in a large multi national.

Why? Interns do it all the time. If the the work experience is part of a college course that's usually why interns intern in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

pow wow wrote: »
    Why? Interns do it all the time. If the the work experience is part of a college course that's usually why interns intern in the first place.

+1 - In reality you are not working for free, in the sense that a company is helping to give you experience and exposing you to new learning opportunities. In many cases, interns / work placement people also get given significant training opportunities during their time as well as 'on the job' training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In the real world, work experience [even 3 months] is more valuable than your degree to be honest. Your degree is a piece of paper that gets you an interview, your work experience and what you learn on that will get you the job over other graduates who have no work experience and a first from UCD [or whatever].

In some professions work for free [or very little] is a common practice at the start of your career, as is the fact if you do good work they will pay you at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Do it. It's a great way to get into a company. It's how I landed my first job and I've seen four people do it in my current company in the past 12 months and they all have paid jobs now. Choose your company carefully though. Very formal companies with clearly definied structures may not have the flexibility to take on somebody who wasn't initially budgeted for. Also, cowboy companies will use your free labour, won't train you and will drop you at the end of the internship. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Corkbhoy8 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I There is no definitive time on this work experience so if it was 3 months or 3 years my course directors would be happy.

Cheers!

This bit worries me: surely your course directors have some objectives for this work experience? Surely they have a brief for your host employer, so the nature of the deal is understood???

IMHO it's ok to work for free as part of a course, so long as learning objectives are set AND achieved.

Otherwise, it's ok for maybe 1/2 a day, to prove yourself. Apart from that, though, you're simply distorting the labour market and making it possible for employers to make bigger profits (or to continue trading when their business is unsustainable and should be put out of its misery).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

I think that if you are going to work for free in a company that is would be prudedent to get some written document outlining and agreeing on
    terms & conditions of work to protect yourself and your personal rights
    e.g. expected work hours, conduct (both employer & yourself), structure of reporting, scope of work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Im working for free at the moment, in a It department. (college)

They are not giving me enough work to do, They just hold on to me because im free, and they keep sending me between staff, who are looking after there own jobs.

Working for free is good as long as you have actual jobs to do, that can keep you occupied, it can lead to a job down the line, but make sure you have fixed hours, ie 3 day week , 9-1 2-4 etc

CH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 debbiermcd

Just left a company who took on interns to fill gaps with skills they didn't have the budget to pay for - with no intention of creating the permanent roles required. Up to 10% of staff of 50 could be interns at any one time.

Experience is valuable, but please anybody considering this option for the benefit of your CV check out the details in advance. Ask who you will work with, be clear on the hours/days and ask what you're likely to learn in the role.

Having seen ad campaigns being 100% reliant on the ability of a web/design intern, please don't take on more than you should as deadlines and pressure are the employers responsibility, not yours.

Advertisement