Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Service

Options
  • 18-01-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey have NCT booked for early next month. I need a service done on the motor anyways and will probably get an NCT check while i am at it.

ANy body know of good dealers or mechanics doing good offers for a service.

IF there is a deal with valet as well all the better.

I know Dave Masters place was doing deal for boardsies but seems to be gone from my search.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Can I suggest that you have the NCT done first, that way if there is a problem found you can have the garage fix it, I know a good few people who have got a service and pre nct check prior to the test and ended up having to go back anyway.

At least that way you might be able to get anything that is wrong covered in the service anyway and if not you'll have saved the pre check fee.

I'm doing it today @ 11:00 !!! will report after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wicklow eoin

I spoke to Dave Masters motors in november looking for a saturday slot, He was to ring me back........I'm still waiting for the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

hick wrote: »
    Can I suggest that you have the NCT done first, that way if there is a problem found you can have the garage fix it, I know a good few people who have got a service and pre nct check prior to the test and ended up having to go back anyway.

At least that way you might be able to get anything that is wrong covered in the service anyway and if not you'll have saved the pre check fee.

I'm doing it today @ 11:00 !!! will report after :D

I second this. I always do the NCT once to find out the bare minimum I have to do to get it past. If you book the retest within the retest period (28 days I think), they only examine the previous failures and do not find new ones (to my experience having done the NCT four times)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

Wished i did this too. Got the car serviced and it still failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I would just throw it through the NCT anyways but needs a service anyways tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Well there ye go €70 pre NCT check saved

Car passed no problems! As OP said if something does fail, they only retest that part no others, I'd recommend getting it tested and then having any potential work done as part of the service, as the garage will then be responsible for getting it right and making sure you get through!

Just on the above, no garage that I've ever heard of will stand over your car if it fails after you've paid for an pre NCT check. Where as if you come back to have something fixed and it fails again, they have to honour their original agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rx7mechanic

I work for the NCT and the majority of customers bring the car in first before getting it serviced. This is useful however there are a couple of problems:
    The car may pass its NCT but there are certain things that are not part of the test and these would be overlooked.
    The NCT will make sure the car is in a roadworthy condition but this does not mean that it is perfect.
    A good service and checkover by a competent mechanic or dealership will ensure that everything fitted to the car is operating properly and save you money in the longrun.
    However if you are looking for the cheapest possible option on getting the car NCTd then do as the people said above and just bring it in and get the failure report to your mechanic.

Advertisement