Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derogatory posts against gay people

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Another attempt by the New World Order and the International Gay Mafia to limit world population by promoting homosexuality *grumble grumble*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Reflector wrote: »
    Anyway over the last year I have come across numerous threads that address the issue of homosexuality. Now I know there is an LGB forum but sure enough threads find their way into other places as would be expected as many gay people would be posting in all forums but I have found that there is a huge amount of derogatory comments in these threads. Now I couldn't care less as I've been around and I've accepted who I am but I am sure that there are many young teenage people who may not have accepted who they are and when they read comments like "caught the ghey" and "bums to the wall" it is sure to make them feel even more alienated and ostracized. One thread recently has numerous comments like this I think it is "people who are gay who you didn't think would be gay"

Nothing deragatory there, trying to stop people posting comments like this however is a restriction of free speech which you say you're all for? :confused:

My mistake, I guess it's only free speech when it agrees with your principles, in other situations it's anti homosexual anti PC trash, am I right?
    I am all for free speech but hateful comments should not be tolerated and it is comments like this that really taint peoples views of Irish society and I know for sure that we lose many young Irish men every year simply because they cannot accept who they are. I would put these comments up with racism, sexism and they only serve to fuel an ignorant attitude that seems to be rife within the Irish population.

If a young men is too 'delicate' to take judgement then he wouldn't survive in Ireland even as a 'straight' guy IMHO.
    Now I know many people will think I am being dramatic, but believe me having grown up with these comments, everytime you hear the word f*ggot it cuts right to the bone and keeps chipping away at your self confidence until you feel worthless. I really believe that these comments should be moderated and that anything resembling homophobia like any other type of hateful speech should be removed from boards to make it a place that everyone can use.

Yea yea yea, and I'm sure women are sick of the c**t word but the fact of the matter is moaning about it on an internet forum really won't change much :)

So quit moaning, and get living life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

everytime you hear the word f*ggot it cuts right to the bone and keeps chipping away at your self confidence until you feel worthless.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. All I can say is if I was gay, I'd like to think that nobody could make me feel ashamed of who I was. You have nothing to be ashamed about and nothing to apologize for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

KamiKazi wrote: »
    So quit moaning, and get living life.

I agree. Far as I see it AH is chock-ablock full of gay advocacy threads about gay adoption and so on. So it's hardly a homophobic place. In all honesty the OP is being dramatic, and I don't mean that as a homophobic slur, I mean it literally. Over dramatic/needs to stop being so self obsessed & hyper sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Wibbs wrote: »
    You reckon? Try being an open Catholic in AH. Hell any type of Christian or Religious person. You'll get a fair amount of "vigourous" replies by the "I dont believe in fairy tales" brigade. Not just in AH either. Women? Eh again look at many threads on various bits of Boards and you'll find both subtle and overt misogyny. Black people? Not specifically, but you'll find posts about Nigerians/Foridners/Travellers/etc. In fact pick your poison and if your antennae are up you'll pick it up. It's like if you buy a new red car, you suddenly notice all the other red cars on the road.

I'm in two minds about this.
    For example, it's OK to make jokes about gay people and call them f****ts, but if someone made a joke about black people and called them the n-word I think it would be taken a lot more seriously.

Having said that, Wibbs makes a very good point above.
    For example, as an Irish female on Boards I have had to tolerate millions of threads about
    -Irish women are stuck up bitches
    -Irish women are fat and don't look after themselves
    -Irish women are nothing compared to Eastern European women
    And there's a lot more of these threads than there are about gay people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

theres a thread in C&H atm on this... i nearley got a week ban beacause i told someone to fuk you because he said i''smell bumhole'' :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Every group, demographic or community has subjects deemed acceptable or not. Boards and individual forums on it are no different. And there would be differences between what the "authorities" deem acceptable and what the "masses" do(without say modding in AH anti traveller threads would be a lot higher). In other cases the two broadly agree (eg anti religion posts) and in other cases again its a balancing act("women" threads). I'd put gay people threads at the same level as "irish women are xxxxx", though Id agree with Magenta there are a lot less of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't know if this point has been made, I haven't read all of the thread, but I understand the basic premise of the thread.

I really don't like it, especially in AH, when people say something like "Have you caught teh ghey or something?" or something along those lines. It's the phrase "teh ghey" that really irks me. It seems like people are trying to be less offensive, but what they're saying just becomes even more offensive because of the way they say it.

Just my 2 pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_%28South_Park%29

"I'm not a fag yet, but I am Bike-curious." -Butters

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

theres a thread in C&H atm on this... i nearley got a week ban beacause i told someone to fuk you because he said i''smell bumhole'' :rolleyes:
    General rule of boards: don't sink to his (probably!) level i.e. don't abuse him back. Instead, report the post, the mods will deal with it if it's genuinely problematic. :)

Also remember that sometimes something will be meant with tongue in cheek, but not everyone will get it (I'm not suggesting that particular post is an example of that btw!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement