Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna talk about fish!!!!!

Options
  • 18-01-2010 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all as i wrote before i have started my aquarium :D. I was advised by alot of petstores to buy a chlorine eliminator which i did and added aswell as biological aquarium supplement which i added too. They all said including the bottles that fish could be added ASAP, so as i was so excited i bought some fish!!!:):)
    In my tank i know have---- 3 guppies, 4 platties, 3 cardinal tetras, 2 black neons, 1 lemon neons, i rosy barb, 2, molly or platties cant tell and 1 fish that was supposed to be like the other rosy barb but it definately not!!!

Loving my tank very relaxing!!!

oh i near forgot and an apple snail!!!:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Sounds cool,,,any pics???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Well done, I remember how excited we were with the first tank we set up, now we have them all over the place, they are so addictive, one is never enough!!!:D

Bedroom Fishtank.JPG

Bedroom Fishtank2.JPG

Downstairs Tank.JPG

Downstairs Tank2.JPG

Saltwater Tank.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Will definately get some pic's up this week, but think i will need help in loading them up!!!:o

Fish tanks are addictive, but is a healthy one :D. love your fish tanks. is the saltwater hard to keep!!! have you any clown fish!!!

Fish tanks are addictive, but is a healthy one :D. love your fish tanks. is the saltwater hard to keep!!! have you any clown fish!!!

No we've found saltwater easier to keep, I don't know whether it was just that we had more experience by the time we got around to saltwater but we lost alot less saltwater fish than freshwater, which is probably just as well as they are generally more expensive. We've no clown fish at the moment we've been trying to stock it up with 'live rock' which is pretty expensive (a small piece is around €20, there's around €500 worth in our tank) but it is vital to a saltwater tank as it will cycle the tank and help break down waste. We've just about enough live rock so we've been adding the fish now and soon some corals plus I want to get a pair of seahorses.:)

lrushe wrote: »
    No we've found saltwater easier to keep, I don't know whether it was just that we had more experience by the time we got around to saltwater but we lost alot less saltwater fish than freshwater, which is probably just as well as they are generally more expensive. We've no clown fish at the moment we've been trying to stock it up with 'live rock' which is pretty expensive (a small piece is around €20, there's around €500 worth in our tank) but it is vital to a saltwater tank as it will cycle the tank and help break down waste. We've just about enough live rock so we've been adding the fish now and soon some corals plus I want to get a part of seahorses.:)

That sounds class!!! I think if i master this one i might later move onto the larger fish i.e discis and parrot fish etc. One step at a time. I dont know every time i go to town this past 3 days i have come home with bags of fish :). It's just hard to pass them. every one was saying that rosy barbs are vicious but the one i have seems fine and they are all enjoying the room to swim as they were quite compact in the pet shop. :( my boyfriend seen a betta he wanted to get it but i opted not too as it was very quiet and was lying on the substrate and didnt seem to be too active. I seen a black leaf like fish today cant remeber what it is called sorry but it was ovely so i might get it in a few weeks.
    i got the water tested today all seemed ok but the pH was7.6 which was a little high but they advised me not too put pH drops in the tank as it should even out in a few days!!!!

• Advertisement

Just a little tip I leant the hard way, don't add any more than 2 new fish a week, I know its so tempting when you seen nice ones but it can shoot up the contaminates in the water and you'll find you have a sudden mass extinction on your hands. Best of luck with your tank, you'll be on your second one before you know it!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Totally agree with Irushe, it's like being in a sweet shop and wanting to get 'just one more...' but you will feck the whole system up. I've learned the very hard way and had to bury lots of little bodies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll try get some photos of the next day or two, but atm I'm keeping a Malawi Cichlid tank.

Great fish to keep, very intelligent and always entertaining to watch their antics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi all as i wrote before i have started my aquarium :D. I was advised by alot of petstores to buy a chlorine eliminator which i did and added aswell as biological aquarium supplement which i added too. They all said including the bottles that fish could be added ASAP, so as i was so excited i bought some fish!!!:):)
    In my tank i know have---- 3 guppies, 4 platties, 3 cardinal tetras, 2 black neons, 1 lemon neons, i rosy barb, 2, molly or platties cant tell and 1 fish that was supposed to be like the other rosy barb but it definately not!!!

Loving my tank very relaxing!!!

oh i near forgot and an apple snail!!!:D:D

alot of those fish like the neons are meant tobe in groups of at least 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Have a marine tank setup myself , about 20kgs of live rock and upto 7 pieces of soft coral.

And yes, clown fish ! I'll get a pic up soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

picture.php?albumid=743&pictureid=4708

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

a few pics of my tanks i have had and what i have now,
    DSC00446.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

P1010310.jpg

fishpic1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

godtabh wrote: »
    alot of those fish like the neons are meant tobe in groups of at least 6

I will eventally build up the ikes of tetra numbers but just dont want to overload for the minute.

dbrock. Are they live plants in your tank??? i was advised not to get live plants as they will upset water and fish!! I annoyed now cause i think they would look alot better. But i also think that if i get experience with what i have now maybe in a few years i can move up to the live plants.. Love the photos beautiful fish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

Yes they are all live plants, they don't ruin your water , you can put in some simple plants into your set up like anubias, java fern, and amazon swords, try go to a shop that stock tropica plants, the quality of these plants are execellent,

start small and add a bit every week or two is the best way to do it,
    good luck
    and get some pics up

if your ever up in Dublin a trip into Fintastic aquatics in dun laoighaire is well worth the visit, the staff really know what there talking about and have an amazing selection of plants and fish

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I will eventally build up the ikes of tetra numbers but just dont want to overload for the minute.

Stock one type of fish at a time

dbrock wrote: »
    Yes they are all live plants, they don't ruin your water , you can put in some simple plants into your set up like anubias, java fern, and amazon swords, try go to a shop that stock tropica plants, the quality of these plants are execellent,

start small and add a bit every week or two is the best way to do it,
    good luck
    and get some pics up

if your ever up in Dublin a trip into Fintastic aquatics in dun laoighaire is well worth the visit, the staff really know what there talking about and have an amazing selection of plants and fish

The couple of pet shops said that the plants create alot of co2 at night and that i woud near an air stone!!! i confused:confused:. i will take a trip there in a couple of months but i dont think the fish would be alive by the time i got up north:(

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

You would need about a tonne of plants in the tank to release that amount of Co2. Change petshops!!

So much bad advice doing the rounds............Buying fish straight away and putting them in an uncycled tank, people being told that live plants are harmful, people being told that rosy barbs are vicious etc..........

For top fish advice, banter and info www.irishfishforum.com .

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Hi Guys, I have a freshwater 125L tank. My problem is snails. One or two must have snuck in when I got some live plants. At the beginning I thought what the harm they will clean around the ornaments in the tank but now they seem to be breeding like rabbits and there is loads. Don't know what to to to get rid of them. The pet shop mentioned something that can be put in the water that will sedate them then I pick them out but to be honest there is so many i'm not sure i would get them all and don't want the breeding process to start all over again!!!! Any advise :o

PS the pics of the tanks here look amazing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

dbrock wrote: »
    a few pics of my tanks i have had and what i have now,
    DSC00446.jpg

What's that in the picture? Also where did you get the polka dot! I need a cool catfish!

dbrock. Are they live plants in your tank??? i was advised not to get live plants as they will upset water and fish!! I annoyed now cause i think they would look alot better. But i also think that if i get experience with what i have now maybe in a few years i can move up to the live plants.. Love the photos beautiful fish:)

Don't worry too much about live plants, I am keeping fish this 12 years and I've never used them once. Just as well, since I have successfully murdered every plant I have ever kept in the ground or a pot :o
    Artificial plants grow algae on them over time which adds to how natural they look.

Cerocco wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I have a freshwater 125L tank. My problem is snails. One or two must have snuck in when I got some live plants. At the beginning I thought what the harm they will clean around the ornaments in the tank but now they seem to be breeding like rabbits and there is loads. Don't know what to to to get rid of them. The pet shop mentioned something that can be put in the water that will sedate them then I pick them out but to be honest there is so many i'm not sure i would get them all and don't want the breeding process to start all over again!!!! Any advise :o

PS the pics of the tanks here look amazing:)

There are a couple of options, you could go the chemical route, there are snail killing products out there but I general like to steer clear of the that kind of thing in my tanks where possible.
    You could add a small quantity of salt to the water, snails will hate this, but if your not too experienced with fish there is the danger of over doing the salt.
    So my advice is to get yourself a couple of fish like a clown or yoyo loach, clowns getter bigger so if your stuck for space go for the yoyo as you will need to get at least two for company.
    Failing all of this a complete tank clean would be a last resort because even as the adults might be eaten or killed off there are usually eggs left behind!
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Some nice looking tanks here folks. I got my first ever tank about 9 months ago. It is a nano (14 Gal) marine setup, which I have heavily modified based on researching equipment etc.

I have found keeping a marine tank to be extremely interesting, but have nothing to base it on really - as I have never kept fish. It has also proven to be quite expensive, even for a small tank like mine.
    What I found most interesting is all the life that just springs up from the live rock. Right now, I have the following in my tank

2 x Percula Clowns
    1 x Sun Tail Goby
    1 x Branching Hammer Coral
    1 x Torch Coral
    1 x Candy Cane Coral
    1 x Green Star Polps
    2 x Zoanthid Colonies
    2 x Ricordea
    2 x Tiny Toadstools that are growing from one rock
    2 x Sexy Shrimp
    1 x Cleaner Shrimp
    2 x Red Legged Hermit Crabs
    1 x Orange Claw Hermit Crab
    1 x Halloween crab
    12 x Baby Brittle Stars (they are popping up everywhere)
    1 x Blue Mussel (which turned up out of nowhere!)
    Lots of bristleworms, a few peanut worms

Here are some pics, although they are a little old. The corals are a bit bigger now. Must take some more shots:

IMG_6517.jpg
    IMG_6513.jpg
    IMG_6447.jpg

^^ How much did all that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

erm.....not sure I want to work it out but here goes: ;)

Tank: €80 (bought it from my brother)
    3 New Powerheads: €40
    New Skimmer: €20
    New lights: €50
    Live Rock: €100 (I think)
    Sand: €15 (I think)
    Clowns: €85 (for both)
    Goby: €35
    Hermits: €20
    Snails: €20
    Branching Hammer Coral: €50
    Torch Coral: €75
    Candy Cane Coral: €25
    Green Star Polps: €30
    Zoanthid Colonies: €30 (incl shipping from England)
    Ricordea: €30 (incl shipping from England)
    Sexy Shrimp: €30 (for 3...one since died)
    Cleaner Shrimp: €35
    Reverse-Osmosis Water Filter Unit: €250
    Test Kits: €100
    Various food (frozen shrimp, lobster eggs, cyclop-eeze, phytoplankton, flake): €80 (not much livestock so food costs aren't too bad)

So a total of: €1200

Not as bad as I thought to be honest! But I suppose that is only a 15 Gallon tank. I plan on getting a 400-500 Gallon next year.

Hi folks just an up date on my tank. Few fish have dead a few weeks ago since i was talking till you all...BUT.... The good news is i havent had any more RIP's in a good while. I also have done a water change and then around 2 weeks later i got the water retested. Everything seems to be going great ( i hope i dont jinks myself). On sunday i headed to the pet shop to get water retested before i added to my collection. A new girl has just started in the pet shop and she is fab. She has a great interest in fish and she is great at giving advice. New fish i have added 1 guppy so i now have 2, 1 spotted Pleko, 1male swordtail and 1 Female swordtail and a dwarf gourami who is beautiful.:D Please just keep your fingers crossed all will continue to do well. :)

Advertisement