Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puerto Rico and The US J1 Visa

• 18-01-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Well lads me and a few friends are thinking about doing the summer J1 visa over to the US but we were wondering is it possible to work or travel in Puerto Rico while having the visa.... I understand Puerto Rico is not part of the 50 states but it is US territory and US laws and currency apply to them, Im not to shure as I have had two Puerto Ricans telling me I can but they are applying their knowledge on the laws they know. So basically does are J1 visa apply to places like Puerto Rico?????

Any help would be great:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

does anyone have any idea???????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xuza

Your best to go and ask usit or check out their website, afaik they list their destinations! Best thing i ever did was the j1, u wont want to come home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Once you are in the United States on a temporary visa such as the J1 you are entitled to travel to any of its dependencies with just your passport. You don't require anything extra. And yes you can work and/or travel there no problem.

Even though it is a dependency of the US and English is one of the official languages on the island. Not many Puerto Ricans speak English. Everything is in Spanish and it is the language of everyones daily life. So that is one thing to consider if you don't speak Spanish. I find their Spanish really weird. It's my first language but i struggle at times to understand them because of the amount of slang that is only local to PR that they use and the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

thanks for the reply guys, I have a contact over their that can def get me work but I dont speak spanish so probally my best bet to just visit the island while doing a j1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

It's a cool island. Really laid back but bring ear plugs if you don't like reggaeton. It's blasted out everywhere from shops to cars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement