Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nct tomorrow-question

• 18-01-2010 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

is it ok if i put the hub cabs in the passenger footwell as i want to put them on straight away again as i hate the look of naked wheels. you see im staying at a friends tomorrow night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

is it ok if i put the hub cabs in the passenger footwell as i want to put them on straight away again as i hate the look of naked wheels. you see im staying at a friends tomorrow night.

I'd remove them completely as they can get a bit arsey (The testers, not the hub caps)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Can't you put them in the boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Can't you put them in the boot?

Nope, boot's gotta be empty, and they do get arsey about that, just take them into the test centre wit ya, only carrying them for 30 mins or so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Throw them in a bin bag and just keep that with you during the NCT. Don't give them an excuse to fail you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 peter ryan

Yes or you can put them in the boot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nope, boot's gotta be empty, and they do get arsey about that, just take them into the test centre wit ya, only carrying them for 30 mins or so

peter ryan wrote: »
    Yes or you can put them in the boot

:rolleyes: As above no you cant;) Maybe you should research these things before you give advice on a public forum:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I've often left them in the boot.
    Once they can lift the boot mat to check the condition of the boot they're usually fine with it.

barry81 wrote: »
    I've often left them in the boot.
    Once they can lift the boot mat to check the condition of the boot they're usually fine with it.

Maybe but boot should be empty and as above some of them could be people that could be looking for a reason to fail you so dont give them a reason.The binbag idea is a good one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I remember years ago they used to tell you to remove the wheel covers and leave them in the boot, dunno if that is the case now though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Car Mad wrote: »
    Maybe but boot should be empty and as above some of them could be people that could be looking for a reason to fail you so dont give them a reason.The binbag idea is a good one..
    Can you clarify on what grounds they can fail you for having something in the boot?

All I can find within the NCT Manual is the following:
    Page 51 (Bodywork)
    The bodywork check includes an examination of the boot, where this can not be opened or contains items which would make the examination difficult, the bodywork check is not considered to have been completed and the vehicle can not be passed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

well surely they would not cause any obstruction behind the front passanger seat aka in the bakc seat on the ground. but just in case i shall put them into any empty bag for life and bring them into the test centre with myself

kbannon wrote: »
    Can you clarify on what grounds they can fail you for having something in the boot?

The bodywork check includes an examination of the boot, where this can not be opened or contains items which would make the examination difficult, the bodywork check is not considered to have been completed and the vehicle can not be passed.

Well basicaly they just check the spare tire and the inside of the boot.If they cant get access to the spare tire they will fail you.So your best to not have anything in the boot because the testers are not goin to remove them to make your life easy as said above some of them can be arsey about it where as other testers wont care if the hub caps are in the way.Im just sayin you could meet a tester whos having a bad day so best not to give him a reason to fail you.

Oh right, because when you earlier said
    :rolleyes: As above no you cant;) Maybe you should research these things before you give advice on a public forum :confused:
    and
    Maybe but boot should be empty
    I had thought that it was mandatory rather than just your opinion (especially given what you said to Peter Ryan)!

Oh right, because when you earlier said

and

I had thought that it was mandatory rather than just your opinion (especially given what you said to Peter Ryan)!

But it is mandatory ''or contains items which would make the examination difficult, the bodywork check '' the tester can say the hubcaps are making the examination difficult mad I know so better be safe than sorry.If the Op saw peter ryans post saying leave them in the boot and met an arsehole of a tester who decided to fail him over leaving the hubcaps in the way.I was in the trade and some testers will look for any excuse to fail you even something as silly as leaving hubcaps in the way in the boot so just be carefull.I didnt mean to sound like a prick to peter im just pointing out that some testers dont like to see hubcaps in the boot and thats not just my opinion

im just pointing out that some testers dont like to see hubcaps in the boot and thats not just my opinion
    Can you provide examples of where a tester failed a driver because there were 4 wheel trims in the boot?

Can you provide examples of where a tester failed a driver because there were 4 wheel trims in the boot?

Where am I going to find an example I dont have a video of someone been failed because of 4 wheel trims in the boot but yes i have seen it happen before and the person was made fork out for a retest.Its not a common occurance but it can happen.

I've never heard of it hapen in fairness (hence my doubt) - also were it to happen (and the person didn't complain/appeal) then it would be a visual retest (without using equipment) and therefore free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

I've always left my hubcaps in the footwell and it's never been a problem.. i've sometimes had stuff in the boot like jump leads, tool box, bottles of oil etc etc and that's never been a problem either, so long as they can lift the bootfloor to see the spare wheel it's not a problem..

T

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

For the 10000th time..... The spare wheel is not part of the test!!!! Only SPSV's are legally required to have a speare wheel and a jack. Two reasons why the boot should be empty (or lets say, free of heavy things):

It makes it easier for the Inspector to check the boot floor for corrosion, and also, heavy stuff in the boot could affect the light test. A couple of hubcaps in the boot are absolutely no problem..... as long as they are not made out of concrete or cast iron....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

the boot is supposed to be empty.
    the nct often tell people this in leaflets and posters and on their website.
    i think the advice might also have been in the nct renewal letter
    i am a bit surprised that a motors mod doesnt know that.

http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctbrochure.pdf

check that link, under preparing for your nct - number 2

• Advertisement

But there is no basis under the regulations for them to fail someone who left items in the boot unless the items would make the examination difficult.
    4 hubcaps would not make any boot examination difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Had to bring the sisters car for NCT during the summer.. Because she is an idiot she left her car full of crap... anyway fired the hubcaps into the boot on top of random jackets, bags and various other crap and stuff..

PASS...

Reckon 4 hubcaps will be grand..

NCT also requires you to powerwash the underside of your car.. who ever does that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Had to bring the sisters car for NCT during the summer.. Because she is an idiot she left her car full of crap... anyway fired the hubcaps into the boot on top of random jackets, bags and various other crap and stuff..

PASS...

Reckon 4 hubcaps will be grand..
    Passenger or rear footwells are fine (testers never go there) or in the boot. They're not an obstruction to the tester.

NCT also requires you to powerwash the underside of your car.. who ever does that??
    They don't require you to powerwash per sé; what they do require is that your car is reasonably clean so that is not caked in layers of mud and grease that would conceal corrosion or leakages, or cause clouds of dirt and grit to fall into the eyes of the tester while he's underneath.

Average light road dirt that doesn't conceal defects is perfectly acceptable, so anyone who keeps their car fairly clean rarely needs to wash the underbody for the NCT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

passed it anyway. kept them at home for the sake of it

Advertisement