Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letting cat outside

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think the subject of cats being let out is always going to be emotive, there's too many dividing opinions. There's the people who think cats belong outside to wander, the people who reckon the only way to keep their pet safe is to keep them in and then the people who are annoyed about the damage cats do to other people's property and to wildlife when let outside. I'm just not sure there is a way around the subject without being emotive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Emotive can in most cases be used as a synonym for emotional.

I think Graces7 doesn't like the fact that I have strong opinions on wandering cats because of what I've seen as outcomes from wandering cats. I also think Graces7 thinking I'm exaggerating for effect when I talk about cats used, for instance, to blood coursing or fighting dogs, just to get a response.

I'm not. It does happen. I wish it didn't. It won't happen to all wandering cats. It will happen to some of them. As will disease, car accidents, so on.

Yes, of course it's a choice - but it needs to be an educated choice. Having cats in a rural area that function as barn cats, for instance, involves letting those cats out. My viewpoint is that you treat your working cat as well as you'd treat your working dog - you have it neutered, you worm it every quarter, you restrict its roaming at night, you take it to the vet when it's injured, you provide food for it and don't expect it to get all of its sustenance from hunting, and you go looking for it when it's missing. You don't just put it in the barn and ignore it, as you might pigeons nesting in the eaves.

If you live in a built-up urban area, high to medium density housing, with nearby roads, I think you have a responsibility to restrict your cat's roaming. I also don't buy the 'If it gets killed on the road, that's life' attitude - because it's not an attitude we extend to our dogs any more. There needs to be a mindshift - cats will benefit if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

I too find it funny that people think that keeping cats indoors is being cruel and hindering their natural instincts. I keep 99% of my cats indoors, but like many posters I also bring them for walks in the garden (& will this year be building them an outdoor run) They have loads of toys, scratchers and climbing frames in the house to keep them entertained and healthy.
    Why is it that cats are the animals that people cite as it is cruel to keep them in, dogs would love to be allowed out to run and play to their hearts content, as I'm sure would any other animal that people keep as pets, but for safety reasons dogs are not allowed to have this freedom. If cats weren't quite so wary of people and posed a threat to them in some way rather than just being a nuisance regarding the little presents they may leave in gardens I think it'd be necessary for owners to keep them under their control like dog owners need (should) do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

doesn't it depend a lot on where you live? if i lived near a busy street i'd say forget letting the cat out, i've seen way too many dead cats on the road and have often seen them running across the road in a lucky escape! sometimes you just can't stop in time!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

susanroth wrote: »
    doesn't it depend a lot on where you live? if i lived near a busy street i'd say forget letting the cat out, i've seen way too many dead cats on the road and have often seen them running across the road in a lucky escape! sometimes you just can't stop in time!!:(

True enough, but I see plenty of dead cats on our rural roads as well. There's also the issue of the fouling of other peoples gardens and the killing of wildlife to be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My cat spends most of the time outdoors - he comes into the house for a few hours a day for a snooze & a bit of attention, then meows when he wants to get out again. He's over 15 years old too & probably healthier than I am!

Advertisement