Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reoublic Of Ireland Becoming a Territory of the US

Options
  • 18-01-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just wondering if ties between the Republic of Ireland and the United Sates got alot closer in the future and you and the rest of the people of Ireland were given the vote yes or no to becoming a protected state or territory of America would you vote yes or no, give reasons to your answer.... This is not something that serious Im just curious on the issue after having a discussion with a few friends about it and how it would change are lives if somthing like this were to ever happen. :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

My heart would say vote no, but it wouldn.t be all that different from being part of the EU . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Funnily enough, I don't think they'd mind taking us. We do occupy a strategic position on the edge of europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Conan O'Brien could replace Tubridy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I would rather that than the EU. Ideologically we are much closer to Boston than to Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

I would rather that than the EU. Ideologically we are much closer to Boston than to Berlin

Much much further away from Utah than Utrecht though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

EI111 wrote: »
    Much much further away from Utah than Utrecht though.
    But you prefer Hawaii to Hell

are we done now?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Overheal wrote: »
    But you prefer Hawaii to Hell

No I could go on for a good while to be honest. You could do with a bit of work on the syllable count, adds to the catchiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

personally I dont think are European neighbours would be to happy if we did it (but we seem to be good at playing a thorn in their side), I think the states would definitely make inprovments to are infastructure like roads, Id say they would more then likely put a large naval base here because of are location and an airbase

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm all for stronger links with the US but if push came to the shove, I'd much rather be part of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i hear this alot but i dont see it myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Is this thread for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Not a chance. I dont wanna put on loads of weight and drop my IQ just to fit in with American standards :)

ya its for real why its only asking people their opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This is how your life would change, have your chin touch your chest and maintain that position.

Because you would never hold your head up again.

Re-joining the UK would be a far better option and would make more sense as well.

I think re-joining the UK is somthing most people in this country would never even consider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Zambia232 wrote: »
    ...Re-joining the UK would be a far better option and would make more sense as well.

Nope. I ain't touching that one with a barge pole.
    It won't end good. :(

I bet you we would not get all fat shure if you look at people from other US territorys like the US virgin islands or puerto rico

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

lcrcboy wrote: »
    personally I dont think are European neighbours would be to happy if we did it (but we seem to be good at playing a thorn in their side), I think the states would definitely make inprovments to are infastructure like roads, Id say they would more then likely put a large naval base here because of are location and an airbase

Knock ring a bell ?

Their Navy could refuel at the Shell refinery up in Bellmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This thread started low and is amazingly managing to dig lower. Not on this forum. Take it somewhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement