Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plans before i submit them

• 18-01-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My brother posted his plans on this forum recently and he got some excellent feed back on his plans so i decided to do likewise. I hope to submit very soon so i would really appreciate feedback on the plans.

Please feel free to comment on any aspects of the plans-internally or externally! Regards..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭doniepony

This is my front elevation

Back elevation

side elevations

Thanks for any suggestions given no matter how minor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

upstairs ... can't make head nor tail of it. just doesn't look right.. sorry

downstairs.. most comments on other thread apply. your's looks a bit better laid out than the bro's. seems to flow a bit better.

hope ye didn't pay 2 seperate designers :) ..both look very similar from the outside .. are they being built beside each other?

best of luck with your application and build anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Downstairs looks good its very similar to your brothers.

Upstairs that space you have set aside for the robes and ensuite is possibly wasting space you won't really be able to use the space infront of the ensuite door for anything, so the only usable area is to the side of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for feeback already! The houses are on the complete opposite sides of land. Wouldnt think they are very similar outside but they are very similar inside alright.

Gerry28 I spoke to architect about that space and the space in the landing (although that space would definately be useful) today and we are looking at rearranging the ensuite area- I agree that the space in front of the ensite door is a waste of space.

I would be very interested if anyone had any ideas or input on the kitchen/dining area. There should be a nice view from where the dining table is but I am slightly worried about the L-shaped kitchen even though i have seen some nice examples recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

doniepony wrote: »
    I would be very interested if anyone had any ideas or input on the kitchen/dining area. There should be a nice view from where the dining table is but I am slightly worried about the L-shaped kitchen even though i have seen some nice examples recently.

I'm no expert i only speak as someone who built my house recently. Is that a larder on the other wall or will it be the same units as the kitchen if so then it will look like a U shape rather than an L shape.

You will be able to place something on that wall to the left of the sink to soften it up. I've seen curved open units placed here where you can put ornaments etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

You have a sitting room, living room, sun lounge and study downstairs. That's a lot of living space. Obviously one of these rooms may be used as a bedroom in many many years down the road when the stairs might be too much of a challenge so I'm a fan of a shower downstairs. I know it might seem like something very far down the line but I've seen people through ill health (relatively young people) and old age who ended up in wheelchairs from time to time who would love to have had a full shower/bath facility downstairs.

I think anyone who is building a two storey house should consider it.

I think the upstairs is grand. I like the idea of the ensuite within the walk in wardrobe. Best of luck with it!

Mr_Edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

You should avoid winders on the stairs if possible, especially if they are close to the top.
    You might sqeeze another step at the top of the stairs to replace it.

Aslo, move the door into Bedroom 2 closer to the landing so the door swing dosent take up so much bedroom space.

Ya i was thinking of putting fridge freezer unit on the wll left of the sink. That will not be the island i am puttin in either- will prob go with wider one so i have surfaces close to the sink, cooker and fridge.

That is not a larder it is a dresser but i am opened to suggestions????? I was a little worried that i may not have enough storage space (especially with high units) which is ridiculous considering the area of the kitchen is roughly 23 ft wide by 21 ft long.

Also, has anyone seen a nice example of a corner fireplace/stove or would anyone be willing to put a photo up of their's if they had one please? I am finding it difficult to find nice examples so might change this feature in the other living room.

Regards for all the feedback so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Corner Stove Units:
    http://www.b-g.be/start.php?lang=en&rub=2&id=22 ... Don't think it's suitable for air tight house.

http://www.kal-fire.nl/pages_common/default.asp?taal=en&tid=2
    Kal-Fire Heat 62/51 corner - €4.5K - external air etc (suitable for air tight house)
    Kal-Fire Heat 100/52 corner - €6k - external air etc (suitable for air tight house)

http://www.barbas.com/en/products/woodfires/built-in-wood-fires/?id=35
    escamo 200 L+R - €3.5k - external air etc (suitable for air tight house)

all above available widely here ..I've only began pricing so prices are from one supplier (and incl VAT)..so don't take them as gospel!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

As suggested to your brother also, i would consider putting a door from the Utility into the toilet......from outside you have to walk thru 4 doors to access toliet....just a thought...;)

Thansk for all the feedback so far- just wondering do people strongly advise building their garage when they are building the house. I will be doing direct labour approach and trying to look at budgeting. Would i get away with leaving it or so i really need it for storage during the building phase.

Also, out of curiosity- do people think im crazy leaving such a large empty space in landing- outside the master bedroom (even though i know it will be used eventually)

Regards

Advertisement