Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pseudonyms?

Options
  • 18-01-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Right would like to get a few opinions on this from y'all. I've been working on a lot of projects lately, and have been toying with the idea of releasing them under a different alias.
    I'm still only 90% sure this is a good idea.
    So to give you an idea...most of you probably know the kid handsome stuff, but I've sort of started this deep house project called Matthew Windsor.
    Here's the first Matthew Windsor track that's nearly finished http://soundcloud.com/kid-handsome/matthew-windsor-isis-demomix

Now as you can hear it's not very Kid Handsome at all at all. So yay or nay for the idea of an alias?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

im not really a fan of using an alias.

i think its hard enough to crack into the production game let alone spreading yourself over a few different names.

Id say keep the kid handsome name.Most people aren't so genre specific with the types of music they like and alot of people who would be into your kid handsome sound would also be big deep house fans.

So if they spot you have a new track up they would listen to it compared to an unknown name(to them) and more than likely like it

But then theres also the argument that if you release on big enough labels you should get listens straight off the bat regardless of who the artist is.
    And i reckon youll be releasing on big labels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

hmmmm.....did you listen to the track though? would people who like the kid handsome stuff really like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Whats the idea behind it?

Is it to do with contracts / lables & $$$?

Tune is really nice Man.. But if I'm honest, I dont think the Windsor bit sounds cool :)

ICN wrote: »
    Whats the idea behind it?

Is it to do with contracts / lables & $$$?

Tune is reallly nice Man.. But if I'm honest, I dont think the Windsor bit sounds cool :)

Haha, yeah, tbh I'm stuck for a name right now.

Ah the idea behind it really is that the Kid Handsome thing started out as a bit of a laugh and is more for my techier stuff.

Like I say I'm really unsure what to do.

BTW, I made a list of possible pseudonyms, and boy was there some stinkers.

jtsuited wrote: »
    Haha, yeah, tbh I'm stuck for a name right now.

Ah the idea behind it really is that the Kid Handsome thing started out as a bit of a laugh and is more for my techier stuff.

Like I say I'm really unsure what to do.

BTW, I made a list of possible pseudonyms, and boy was there some stinkers.

Get the phonebook out Mate! :pac: :cool:

• Advertisement

Get the phonebook out Mate! :pac: :cool:

hmmmmm....who owns a phonebook nowadays?

hmmmmm....who owns a phonebook nowadays?

Eircom delivered there last week. All wrapped up with the Golden pages.

Right in the middle of the cold snap & used most of the GP to light a fire.

PB is still here.. Hiding.

Eircom delivered there last week. All wrapped up with the Golden pages.

Right in the middle of the cold snap & used most of the GP to light a fire.

PB is still here.. Hiding.

haha, what would those people who regard bookburning as a mortal sin think!

haha, what would those people who regard bookburning as a mortal sin think!

Just been told that the PB is in the recycle bin.

I'm positive that with councelling, those good people would eventually come to the same opinion as I - Its a ****ing waste of money :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

www.behindthename.com/random/

Your new name is.... Haul Gigglebud

I like the idea of different aliases but I think its important to have one main one from the start. The track you posted is very different from your other stuff so I can see why you would like a different name. Its nice as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

hmmmm.....did you listen to the track though? would people who like the kid handsome stuff really like that?

Isn't your Kid Handsome stuff more minimal?

Don't people tend to keep a name to a specific genre?

I really like the percussion on it. Your hi hat and shaker stuff sounds really good.

I really like the detroit 909 pattern build up from about 4.19

And the organ stab that comes in towards the end.

The main organ sounds a little monotonous - but that could just be me.

Matthew Windsor? - What was the plan there - to sound like an Essexs geezer who produces deep house and calls himself Maffu Windsah? - if it works it works

@SeanNash - It doesn't really matter much if you stick to a name or not - part of the whole mystique and fun for people who're into to Dance music is the whole alias thing. Usually a google search will throw up who it is.

Me - I'm going to use the alias Sean Nash, until I can clean up my act, drop my bad habits, and start producing anything half way near decent. And Sean...My alias is going to be very, very gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I kinda like the pseudonym thing, but purely for the fun aspect of it. I call my general me-on-my-own stuff 'Captain Wow'. I'm starting to make some IDM-y stuff, which I'll call 'Techno Prisoners'. Then when I do stuff with electronic music and vocals, I'll call it 'Techno Prisoners feat. Captain Wow', and I'll have a right giggle to myself while clicking the 'upload' button or whatever.

krd wrote: »
    Isn't your Kid Handsome stuff more minimal?

Don't people tend to keep a name to a specific genre?

I really like the percussion on it. Your hi hat and shaker stuff sounds really good.

I really like the detroit 909 pattern build up from about 4.19

And the organ stab that comes in towards the end.

The main organ sounds a little monotonous - but that could just be me.

Matthew Windsor? - What was the plan there - to sound like an Essexs geezer who produces deep house and calls himself Maffu Windsah? - if it works it works

@SeanNash - It doesn't really matter much if you stick to a name or not - part of the whole mystique and fun for people who're into to Dance music is the whole alias thing. Usually a google search will throw up who it is.

Me - I'm going to use the alias Sean Nash, until I can clean up my act, drop my bad habits, and start producing anything half way near decent. And Sean...My alias is going to be very, very gay.

Bit strong Mate.. :o

Bit strong Mate.. :o

Aw jeez...Do I get a ticket? :(

I take back what I said about the organ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Now as you can hear it's not very Kid Handsome at all at all. So yay or nay for the idea of an alias?

Well Eric Prydz releases his 'proper' stuff under a derivative of his own name - Pryda - so you could release your proggy/deep stuff under a similar scheme. Lose the 'kid' bit, you want something shorty, snappy and vaguely Germanic...

Hands.... Han... Hans... Hansel!

To boot, everyone would totally be like;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think if you're releasing music of a different style then a pseudonym is a good idea and its a bit of fun too, but then again I grew up listening to Aphex twin aka afx aka caustic window aka polygon window aka diceman aka gak aka powerpill aka the tuss..... maybe don't go overboard and keep it to 2 or 3.

i think people are missing what im saying.

an alias is fine if your an established name but for someone who is trying to get more exposure it would be like starting from scratch all over again.

take the momentum you have with the kid handsome name and try and be as proflific as possible.

if i had bought a few kid handsome tracks in the past id be inclined to click on your new release but if ive never heard of you it might slip under the radar

John dahlback covered a good few genres with his own name when he first appeared

seannash wrote: »
    i think people are missing what im saying.

an alias is fine if your an established name but for someone who is trying to get more exposure it would be like starting from scratch all over again.

take the momentum you have with the kid handsome name and try and be as proflific as possible.

if i had bought a few kid handsome tracks in the past id be inclined to click on your new release but if ive never heard of you it might slip under the radar

John dahlback covered a good few genres with his own name when he first appeared

No, I get what you're saying. But you have to remember things can work against a name as well as with it. Say like you do a really good track, and get some attention - then people start looking through your other stuff - if it's not up to the same level or if it's hoping from one genre to the other they may think you've lost the plot.

Switching pseudnoms maybe a handy way of distancing yourself from stuff that you may want lost.

No, I get what you're saying. But you have to remember things can work against a name as well as with it. Say like you do a really good track, and get some attention - then people start looking through your other stuff - if it's not up to the same level or if it's hoping from one genre to the other they may think you've lost the plot.

Switching pseudnoms maybe a handy way of distancing yourself from stuff that you may want lost.

which is kinda what i want to do. Like a lot of my early stuff I'm not particularly proud of. Mainly because there was a very short time between me starting to produce and me getting stuff signed and released. So it wreaks of noob imo.

• Advertisement

which is kinda what i want to do. Like a lot of my early stuff I'm not particularly proud of. Mainly because there was a very short time between me starting to produce and me getting stuff signed and released. So it wreaks of noob imo.

Ever think about jtsuited?

or jtsweeted? like Sean calls you? ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Use a pseudo.

Make it short and snappy and relevant.

If a deep house head knows what kid handsome produces, they wont check it out without a pre-conceived opinion of your music.

Fresh slate. Go for it.

Use a pseudo.

Make it short and snappy and relevant.

If a deep house head knows what kid handsome produces, they wont check it out without a pre-conceived opinion of your music.

Fresh slate. Go for it.

and how would deep house heads know what kid handsome produces if this is his first deep house offering.

your presuming people stick to one genre and dont listen to anything outside of that.believe it or not there are tech house dj's who have to do warm up slots.for these warm up slots they play deep house etc

The kind of people who listen to electronic music tend to be technologically savy.

They're on the internet - if they like something they will google it and it's author.

If they find out you're a noob - instant total loss of credibility.

They'll call their friends "Hey dude, never guess what. This dude I thought was really cool, turns out to just be a noob..... The dude is just a noob..."

You might find you'll need to change your pseudo a few times. You only really need to worry if you had built up a big name - that automatically makes money on a release.

Erase your past !!!...Or at least... remix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Ever think about jtsuited?

or jtsweeted? like Sean calls you? ;):)

Or Jtsudo

A bit obvious I know but short and snappy. Sounds like a martial art.

seannash wrote: »
    and how would deep house heads know what kid handsome produces if this is his first deep house offering.

your presuming people stick to one genre and dont listen to anything outside of that.believe it or not there are tech house dj's who have to do warm up slots.for these warm up slots they play deep house etc

Did you read back over that sean?
    It looks like a blatant contradiction?

a)how would deep house heads know what kid handsome produces if this is his first deep house offering.
    b)your presuming people stick to one genre and dont listen to anything outside of that

And to bolster the argument for a pseudonym: Michael Baumann/Jackmate/Philpot/Soulphiction.

If they find out you're a noob - instant total loss of credibility.

They'll call their friends "Hey dude, never guess what. This dude I thought was really cool, turns out to just be a noob..... The dude is just a noob..."

I'm not sure what your point is, here, for against pseudonyms?

Regardless, I've stuff by hundreds of artists that have only produced two or three records. I buy a lot of house and techno and I don't think anyone I know cares one way or the other how many records a person has: each record is bought on its own merit alone. Never heard that "noob" discussion play out in a negative light. If anything, finding quality stuff by a new producer would make me want to pay even more attention to them.

As someone who'd be looking to buy the deep house stuff he's working at (I heard some samples on EMI) I honsetly think a pseudo would work well for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

jimi_t wrote: »
    Well Eric Prydz releases his 'proper' stuff under a derivative of his own name - Pryda

actually his "Cirez D" stuff is so much better...

Did you read back over that sean?
    It looks like a blatant contradiction?

a)how would deep house heads know what kid handsome produces if this is his first deep house offering.
    b)your presuming people stick to one genre and dont listen to anything outside of that

And to bolster the argument for a pseudonym: Michael Baumann/Jackmate/Philpot/Soulphiction.
    hmm not really.

i was merely responding to his point that deep house heads(ie people who only listen to deep house)wont have any preconcieved notion of a kid handsome track because they wont have heard his tech house/minimal stuff.

in saying that though i also wanted people to realise some people like a broad range of music and will be well aware of his first productions but still dont stick to one style of music when they dj or listen at home.

i know both types of dj.
    the ones who wont go outside there genre and the ones who have a very eclectic taste in music.
    using the same name for your music ,imo, wont put either type of person off listening because of this
    i see what your saying but its hardly a contradiction

• Advertisement

Gotcha Sean. I dont agree with you, but I see what you're saying.

Cirez D stuff is pretty good alright. Bought a few bits.

No, I gotta say, I'm in the process of building a pseudonym myself for production stuff (gives me room to learn, while I continue DJ'ing), so I guess I'm already pre-disposed towards favouring use of one.

Advertisement