Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water OFF - Greystones, Bray, Kilcoole 19/1/2010 @ 6am

Options
  • 18-01-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

As title says stoppage for 24 hours and affects Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole and Newcastle.

I'll try find a link to a source for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 littlemaxi

From the Wicklow Co. Council website - nightmare......

http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplebeach

Just saw this on the Wicklow Co. Co Website

www.wicklow.ie

Due to a Major Burst in the 24" Watermain at Newtownmountkennedy, Dublin City Council will be shutting down the main supply with effect from 6am Tuesday 19th January, 2010. This shutdown will be for a minimum of 24 hours. The areas effected by this will be:
    Kilpedder
    Newtown
    Newcastle
    Kilcoole
    Greystones
    Delgany
    Bray
    There will no supply or reduced pressure in all of these area.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

That's crazy, any idea why?! Will it affect Charlesland too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

audreyp wrote: »
    That's crazy, any idea why?! Will it affect Charlesland too?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

On Simon Harris facebook page apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 grouser

As Wicklow Co Co site says:
    "Due to a Major Burst in the 24" Watermain at Newtownmountkennedy, Dublin City Council will be shutting down the main supply with effect from 6am Tuesday 19th January, 2010. This shutdown will be for a minimum of 24 hours. The areas effected by this will be:
    Kilpedder
    Newtown
    Newcastle
    Kilcoole
    Greystones
    Delgany
    Bray
    There will no supply or reduced pressure in all of these area."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

from www.wicklow.ie (the council's website)
    Local Authority News

Water will again be off each night this week in Wicklow Town from 11 pm to 7 am. Also:
    Due to a Major Burst in the 24" Watermain at Newtownmountkennedy, Dublin City Council will be shutting down the main supply with effect from 6am Tuesday 19th January, 2010. This shutdown will be for a minimum of 24 hours. The areas effected by this will be:
    Kilpedder
    Newtown
    Newcastle
    Kilcoole
    Greystones
    Delgany
    Bray
    There will no supply or reduced pressure in all of these area.

BUT - they've been turning off the mains every night for the last week @ 2300 so it may go off tonight also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

:eek:

This should be fun. I'm filling up the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Whats new they have Lough Dan full of water and Roundwood ,and there is no water, it would make anyone mad :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Liam81

Will the central heating still work if there's no water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Liam81 wrote: »
    Will the central heating still work if there's no water?
    In short, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

In short??

Does anyone know if it's safe to use the heating while the water is off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Liam81

And will it still be as strong etc, cos of water pressure and that? Any detailed answers?

well, not everyone has the same heating system but most will still work - the heating in Charlesland is a sealed system and will definitely still work. I'm not a plumber but my understanding is that the vast majority of heating systems in Ireland are sealed and do not rely on the water supply being on.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bray Town Council Website says the water won't be switched off

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Bray Town Council Website says the water won't be switched off

I does just say it is BRAY that it will not go off in. I don't know if it will not go off in other areas. It wouldn't be Bray town councils job to report where else is affected.

News
    Interruption to Water Supply 19th January, 2010

Jan 18 2010

Water in Bray will NOT be cut off at 6 a.m tomorrow 19th January. There may be interruptions to the supply during the day while repairs are being carried out on the Dublin City Council watermain in Newtownmountkennedy. Please avoid excessive storage of water as this will put an already struggling system under pressure and will only serve to prolong the difficulty. Your co-operation is greatly appreciated

dubsgirl wrote: »
    In short?? Does anyone know if it's safe to use the heating while the water is off?
    Yes, it will be safe. In central heating systems the same water is circulated around and around the radiators indefinitely. The only situation in which a water supply is needed is if your system is leaking somewhere and water is continuously needed to top up the water pressure. If that's the case you've got bigger problems.

There's a gazillion threads on this over in the DIY forum from people who were worried about their heating not working during the freeze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

bido wrote: »
    Whats new they have Lough Dan full of water and Roundwood ,and there is no water, it would make anyone mad :mad::mad::mad:
    That's Dublins though I think.

There was a small cock up. The water won't be off in alot of places and shouldn't be off for 24 hours. Think they expect to have it sorted at some stage today and not take 24hrs+

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

CHD wrote: »
    That's Dublins though I think.

There was a small cock up. The water won't be off in alot of places and shouldn't be off for 24 hours. Think they expect to have it sorted at some stage today and not take 24hrs+

That's right our water doesn't come from Roundwood unless they have changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Has anyone lost their water supply?

• Advertisement

Huntthe wrote: »
    That's right our water doesn't come from Roundwood unless they have changed it.

i'm pretty sure it does - if not where exactly does it come from? North Wicklow is all on the Dublin water supply (a bone of contention for Wicklow County Council over the years).

Here's an update I received via email just now ...
    The water supply in the North Wicklow area, (from Newcastle to Bray ,
    including Newtownmountkennedy, Kilpeddar, Kilcoole, Kilmacanogue,
    Enniskerry, Greystones, Delgany and Bray) is supplied from a trunk pipeline
    which carries treated drinking water from Dublin City Council's waterworks
    at Roundwood. There is a major leak on this pipeline in the
    Newtownmountkennedy area and Dublin City Council are currently working to
    locate the precise location and assess the extent of the work involved in
    carrying out the necessary repairs. It had been expected that the repair
    work would be carried out today, Tuesday 19th, but it is now proposed to do
    this work tomorrow, 20th Jan. Accordingly the supply will not be disrupted
    today, 19th.

In order to carry out the repairs it will be necessary to turn off the
    supply to this trunk main. Most supply areas in North Wicklow, including
    Bray, Greystones Kilcoole and Enniskerry, have reservoirs with up to 24
    hour storage capacity, and it is thus expected that disruption to service
    will be minimal.

In addition, most homes have several hours storage in their own water
    tanks. If consumers co-operate by using water sparingly, disruption will be
    minimal. Storing excessive amounts of water is counterproductive and will
    only cause to extend the duration of the difficulties.

Philip Duffy, Senior Executive Officer,
    Water and Environmental Services Section,
    Wicklow County Council.
    <mailto: pduffy@wicklowcoco.ie>
    Tel 0404 20100, extn 2252

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Alun wrote: »
    Storing excessive amounts of water is counterproductive and will
    only cause to extend the duration of the difficulties.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Just heard from WCC - "The water supply to Greystones is VERY unlikely to be interupted even during the Dublin City Council shutdown to repair their supply to Wicklow as there is more than a day's storage in Drummin reservoir which supplies Greystones. So no need to fill baths etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

The Guide wrote: »
    Just heard from WCC - "The water supply to Greystones is VERY unlikely to be interupted even during the Dublin City Council shutdown to repair their supply to Wicklow as there is more than a day's storage in Drummin reservoir which supplies Greystones. So no need to fill baths etc."

That was before everyone filled their baths last night :D

Yes, there are a number of small intermediate underground reservoirs that act as buffers and as a means to maintain water pressure in various places. The one in Bray is up above the Woodies roundabout on Giltspur Lane for example. You can just about make them out (2 round areas in the centre of the map) on Google Maps here ... http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&hq=&ll=53.180881,-6.124578&spn=0.004514,0.009645&t=h&z=17

There are similar storage reservoirs in Enniskerry and a few other places as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Alun wrote: »
    Here's an update I received via email just now ...

I received the same email. This part was most interesting:
    There is a major leak on this pipeline in the
    Newtownmountkennedy area and Dublin City Council are currently working to
    locate the precise location and assess the extent of the work involved in
    carrying out the necessary repairs. It had been expected that the repair
    work would be carried out today,

Sounds like they are postponing shutting off the supply because....they can't find the leak.

Sounds like they are postponing shutting off the supply because....they can't find the leak.
    ... or maybe they're just making absolutely 100% certain that not only do they have the exact location of the leak, but that there aren't any more lurking in the vicinity, so that they can be sure that all necessary works are done in one go and they don't have to shut off the water again unnecessarily. Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Not going off today now so I hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 grouser

Here's the latest from Wicklow Co Co website:
    "Dublin City Council has advised that it has now identified the precise location of the leak on its trunk water main at Newtownmountkennedy and furthermore has now confirmed its proposal to carry out the necessary urgent repairs tomorrow, Wednesday, 20th January. Wicklow County Council and Dublin City Council are working to ensure that disruption to supplies will be minimised. However, it is expected that there will be some disruption from 6.00 am tomorrow, 20th, limited only to the following locations:- Newtownmountkennedy,
    Newcastle,
    Kilpeddar,
    Kilmacanogue,
    Fassaroe and Delgany.

It is anticipated that supply to the remaining areas of Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole and Enniskerry, will not be disrupted, as the Council's storage reservoirs have sufficient capacity to supply these areas, provided that consumers co-operate by using water sparingly, as storing excessive amounts of water is counterproductive and will only cause to extend the duration of the difficulties.

Consumers in the Bray area should also check Bray Town Council's website."

Advertisement