Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starter Camera ?

• 18-01-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

First time posting in the photography forum! I've been wanting to get into photography for some time now. Over the next month or so I definitely want to get a move on and pick up a camera and lens.

I've been looking at D40s or D60s - but by Christ are they expensive. I'm only 18 so cash doesn't come that easy. I work but I have to pay rent etc...

Does anyone know of similar cameras which are cheaper? Or preferably any good places to pick up second hand cameras?

Any other advice for a noob would be appreciated too! Thanks!

- Dean

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you think a D40 or D60 is expensive then brace yourself when you see the prices of glass for the front of them!

There are a few ways you could go. One is to go for a Bridge Camera to start with. This will give you the same manual controls of a DSLR but you cannot change the lenses. There are some good ones about. Try to get one that will shoot RAW if you can.

The other option is to look on Adverts.ie for a used body & lens. Something like a D70 or D50 in the Nikon line up would be good to start out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

You don't have to buy digital!

If you're interested in photography, a good s/h film slr (you can pick them up fairly easily too) from a few years back will still allow you to explore your creativity on a budget. Of course you have film to have developed and printed then, but it might be cheaper to start off with.

Second hand cameras are available in some shops around dublin and they'll come with a few months warranty for peace of mind (considering you're new, this might be worth paying the premium for) or there's always ebay/adverts/buy and sell.

I saw a Pentax MZ-M for sale in a shop on George's St at the weekend. I think it was around 100 quid. That's a good starter film camera, nice and light, plenty of manual control (but also full auto exposure for the new photographer). Only thing is it's manual focus, but that shouldn't put you off.

Of course you don't even have to have an SLR camera. It's not the toys that take the picture, it's the eye of the photographer that sees the image - that's the important bit. No camera will make you a photographer...so maybe consider a less expensive digital camera and see do you enjoy it as much as you think you will, and let your eye, and skill develop over time as you save for the Canon D1!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

Ebay is a good way to buy used equipment, but you have to keep to a budget on a auction style listing. If you bid on an item in Ireland, you might be able to pick it up in person and not have to pay shipping.

I suggest a digital Canon 20D which can be bought on Ebay for around €200 sometimes. I used to use this camera in my photography business. It's very good and I paid £1500 new for it only 6 years ago!

Get a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens used too for around €60. If you know anyone who travels to the States, get them to buy you a new one there where it's $99 (€68).

Zooms are going to be more expensive. Primes are usually less and are better quality photowise. I always buy good quality 2.8 f-stop low-light zooms which are fast and sharp. The Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 or Tamron 28-70mm 2.8 are well-known for being great quality at a fraction of the price of Canon.

Don't forget to budget for a flash that can be bounced as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

Same situation here as Dean0088 and im headin up north the weekend so save my self about 100 quid on a slr! (any opinions upon the canon 1000d and 450d ) its worth crossing the border. and i have seen refurbished cameras on ebay and amazon and there meant to be good as new too for mayb 150 less than the brand new ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

amazon.co.uk ships for free to the republic of ireland also. the 50mm 1.8 is £80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

If you're only starting off, don;t buy new. You can get a 2 year old camera for a fraction of the price of a new model. So what if it onlt has 10MP opposed to 15MP. You're not going to be publishing posters on bus stops!

Have a look on adverts - there are always good deals there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have to agree, I would not be looking at new in your financial situation..

Advertisement