Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on my own, general advice wanted.

Options
  • 18-01-2010 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Going to apply for the WHV in the next few days and planning to get out some time in March. I'm just generally looking for advice and tips to ease the crossover.

Never been to Australia before and, as I say I'm likely going on my own. I have a good chance of getting some work in Melbourne and I've priced return tickets from London with Emirates at £820 stopping over in Dubai. March to Dec.

I still don't know whether to come back for Xmas or see out the next three months. There is always the chance that I could get sponsored for a few more years, correct? I have a cousin there who owns a business, and if this was the case I could see myself staying for as long as possible.

So, anything that I haven't mentioned or let me know if I should change airline, dates etc or if there's anything I should do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I spent a year and a half there, mainly in Melbourne, its a fantastic city.

It's a shame that you are missing out on the summer though. From March onwards it starts cooling down, and the backpacker scene gets quieter as everyone follows the sun.

I'd recommend staying there for Christmas too, just to experience it in a completely different climate / country. It could also have the effect of lowering the cost of your ticket. Airlines know Christmas is a very busy period, with people going home for Christmas. If you book your return flight for say mid-January, you might get something knocked off the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

armour87 wrote: »
    Going to apply for the WHV in the next few days and planning to get out some time in March. I'm just generally looking for advice and tips to ease the crossover.
    Cross over ? its a flight man not a journey though the f**king Stargate
    Never been to Australia before and, as I say I'm likely going on my own. I have a good chance of getting some work in Melbourne

I assume with your mates company?
    and I've priced return tickets from London with Emirates at £820 stopping over in Dubai. March to Dec.
    On the Stargate like :)
    I still don't know whether to come back for Xmas or see out the next three months.
    Stay the extra three months you have a life time of Irish Xmas's ahead of you.
    There is always the chance that I could get sponsored for a few more years, correct? I have a cousin there who owns a business, and if this was the case I could see myself staying for as long as possible.
    woah there tiger have a look around before commiting to life on the other side. Anyway if you have skills in demand by Australia yes he could sponsor you, what is the nature of your skills? if you have no skills he cant sponsor you.
    So, anything that I haven't mentioned or let me know if I should change airline, dates etc or if there's anything I should do.
    Australia is a suck it and see scenario we have had folk return after a week. others never want to leave and some are happy with a year here.

If you find you like it then after 6 months look for some rural work to get you another year. If you don't leave it too late you might do something that's good fun as opposed to back breaking toil.

As for dates just check if you can change the date of your flight home cheap enough and what it may cost you. Then you dont have to worry about shortening your flight if you want that christmas at home.

And if you get stuck this forum will help you out and ridicule your ass at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Since your being a bit helpful AND a bit of a prick at the same time you get no thanks. Although I do think your right about Xmas, f*ck it, I can miss one.

With my mates company? Nope, I said I'm going on my own probably and I'll be working for a cousin.

Maybe not a trip through Stargate, but not a run to the shop for teabags either is it. I think most would call their first proper experience of being out on their own in a completely different continent a bit of a cross over, wouldn't you?

Since your being a bit helpful AND a bit of a prick at the same time you get no thanks. Although I do think your right about Xmas, f*ck it, I can miss one.

With my mates company? Nope, I said I'm going on my own probably and I'll be working for a cousin.

Maybe not a trip through Stargate, but not a run to the shop for teabags either is it. I think most would call their first proper experience of being out on their own in a completely different continent a bit of a cross over, wouldn't you?

Bit of a prick ... I am shocked. :eek:

Sorry my bad yes you did say your cousin.

In essence its a bit like a big camping trip. However to enjoy it all the more here are some tips.

Get in Shape, lots to do in Oz its better when you have the energy. Being a good swimmer helps.

On that note learn what a rip (riptide) is and how to avoid being killed in one. Its a small thing but usefull.

Plan your trip back wards, if you have the cash travel first then work later. As what happens is you get bogged down looking for work spending cash then working and not building up as much. However in your case you seem pretty much sorted on the job front.

As you are traveling on your own use hostels, handy way to meet other travellers. Being on your own is a great way to force yourself to talk to random people. Plus its a line to use on women/men

Sad face :( Im all alone (f**k it it might work) report back

Be carefull with Cash oz can eat money if you let it. Talk to people find out what they are paying for stuff. Follow their lead.

Your going to land in a big city , my advice get out of it as soon as possible see a bit then return.

Dont worry too much either Oz is a great experience

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I hope the trips are in the post...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Since your being a bit helpful AND a bit of a prick at the same time you get no thanks
    See Zambia, thats what you get for trying to prepare them for dealings wit Aussies:D:D:D

See Zambia, thats what you get for trying to prepare them for dealings wit Aussies:D:D:D

what Aussies

He arrives at Tullamarine and swept though customs gets a growl from the passport guy.

Is out to the taxi driven by an Indian student.

Then into too the hostel owned by some lebanese dude that runs it as a sideline to his late night kebab joint.

Then out to the pub staffed by Irish , bounced by Samoans and populated by backpackers.

It will be days before he deals with Aussies... the other packers can teach him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Cross over ? its a flight man not a journey though the f**king Stargate

Laugh out out

@OP: The flight is fine. Sleep when your tired, eat when the feed you and the bar is free. :) Sounds good so far? Every couple of hours get up and do a few stretches if you feel like it but it isn't a big deal. Honestly if you can't deal with the flight maybe Aus isn't the place for you. You can always down some sleeping pills but there have been mixed reviews for that approach from people I know.

As for travelling on your own and meeting people its all up to you. If you can strike up a coversation with someone you'll be alright. Just take it easy you'll meet someone and be best mates for a week and never see them again. It is the WHV way.

You'll be fine. There are plenty of WHVers in the same boat and you'll probably bump into them.

j

Advertisement