Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company parking truck in private estate

• 18-01-2010 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

A guy living nearby is parking a big ugly truck, from the company he works for in the estate most weekends....and also parks it at a dangerous place,and blocking the view of other road users, and oncoming cars, and parks sometimes on the path!!!!
    Is he allowed to do this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I seen this in a earlier thread. I would ring his company and ask for transport manager. Has your estate 3ton 3restriction signs, if it has the gardai could move him/her on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

bmaxi wrote: »
    Couldnt find it...
    I do know its illegal to park on footpath or to be obstructing the vision of other drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Badger your local council to impose a HGV parking van on your estate if its causing problems - KCC did a blanket one on the taken in to charge estates in Maynooth a few years ago due to the surface condition / turning spaces being too poor in most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

malcox wrote: »
    Couldnt find it...
    I do know its illegal to park on footpath or to be obstructing the vision of other drivers

Thats true .But EVERY estate you go to has numerous cars parked on the pavement .
    It seems as if the OP dislikes the idea of an "ugly truck " parked in his area.Maybe he thinks it lowers the tone of the area???????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

No, read the Thread you tool!!! its about safety, I don't want my kids knocked down cause a big ugly truck was blocking some on car drivers view, or kids having to walk on the road cause a truck is on the path....why doesn't he park his car on the road and the truck in his drive way....know why? because he doesn't want a big ugly fookin truck there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How are you so sure? Most "big" trucks would not fit in the driveway. If you are so concerned and so dismissive of some of the posters here, why dont you approach him yourself ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

How are you so sure? Most "big" trucks would not fit in the driveway. If you are so concerned and so dismissive of some of the posters here, why dont you approach him yourself ?

another tool makes a numb nuts comment.. why would i say to park it in his drive if it would not fit.....I'm dismissive of Thick people like you two...and why approch him...generally it would not go down well...let the councils enforce its own laws, if they have them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

scully74 wrote: »
    another tool makes a numb nuts comment.. why would i say to park it in his drive if it would not fit.....I'm dismissive of Thick people like you two...and why approch him...generally it would not go down well...let the councils enforce its own laws, if they have them

you come looking for advice, people try to help and you just call them stupid. Good man, won't be round for long me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If this is in Dublin city, the vast majority of the city has a ban on vehicles over 3 tonnes using the street for parking. Many other councils have similar policies, but to varying levels.

Parking on the footpath is illegal everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

you come looking for advice, people try to help and you just call them stupid. Good man, won't be round for long me thinks

Eh no. They asked a simple question, got a few decent replies which were followed by the usual round of ignorant posters that can't control their flame inducing fingers from typing ****e talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just call the company and ask for a manager.
    They might dismiss you or then might take it seriously. Just give a call

If that fails, call your local council and ask about the restrictions in your area.
    I lived in an estate in Galway and many college buses parked there. It was beside the college so a convenient location.
    I realy didn't care but the residents were not slow in getting the council to move them on. You might be able to do the same.

I will say if you've an issue with this truck on the footpath you better complain about every other car on the footpath too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Eh no. They asked a simple question, got a few decent replies which were followed by the usual round of ignorant posters that can't control their flame inducing fingers from typing ****e talk.

Still direct abuse calling them "tools".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

As suggested, ring the transport manager of the company, they're usually very obliging in ensuring their fleet behave in a reasonable manner. We had a similar issue in our area where a HGV driver would leave his cab and trailer parked various dangerous spots but it was sorted by his company.

As for people saying someone "dislikes the idea of an "ugly truck " ", I find this a perfectly reasonable dislike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sounds like the company isn't parking its truck in the estate, but rather your neighbour in a private capacity when he's not working.

Perfectly reasonable dislike, but there's a balance to be struck as your neighbour has a perfectly reasonable right to make a living and isn't doing anything illegal.

Only option is to ask him politely to please park neatly etc, telling him of your concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

JHMEG wrote: »
    isn't doing anything illegal.

Depends on any weight restrictions in the area or for example alot of private estates have a ban on commercial vehicles, not exactly against the law but it would be something the driver would have agreed to.

I cant understand why the person cant ring the company in question. I have my own trucks and i wouldnt have one outside my own house not to mind everyone elses. Theirs no way i would let any one in a hgv go near a housing estate with the exception of a delivery which would be unheard of if the truck was an artic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i would like to see a pic of the "big ugly truck"....maybe its just a van....

I remember i took a small locker as a favour for a customer to a school in glanmire from dublin. I dropped the trailer in cork and went out to the school in the cab. When the teacher came out he thanked me and said you better move your van now theirs a artic coming in..... Which was a small rigid truck. Some people havent a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!1:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the OP said it was a private estate.
    Why not contact the owners of the estate and see what they say first?
    I doubt any local authority would care too much about what happens on private roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Note on the window, try to be polite and ask for some understanding of the reasons why large commercial vehicles should not be parked in a residential area.

Very interesting how such a simple problem can cause such a discussion and how anyone can justify these actions is beyond me. I hate it when someone parks outside my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MaceFace wrote: »
    I hate it when someone parks outside my house!

Unless it's designated parking anyone can park there. I don't live in your estate and I can park outside your house if I want. And if I'm taxed you can't move me. Well, unless it's a private estate
    MaceFace wrote: »
    Note on the window, try to be polite and ask for some understanding of the reasons why large commercial vehicles should not be parked in a residential area.

Don't leave a note! People react badly to notes. Leaving notes if for people who afraid to ask questions and terrified of possible confrontation.
    Pick up the phone and call the company advertised on this vehicle. Or just stroll out and ask the driver if you see them around. Be confident and just ask whatever you want to ask
    No big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

mikemac wrote: »
    Unless it's designated parking anyone can park there. I don't live in your estate and I can park outside your house if I want. And if I'm taxed you can't move me. Well, unless it's a private estate
    You can also come up and flip the bird in my face and there is little I can do about it - doesn't make it a nice thing to do.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Don't leave a note! People react badly to notes. Leaving notes if for people who afraid to ask questions and terrified of possible confrontation.
    Pick up the phone and call the company advertised on this vehicle. Or just stroll out and ask the driver if you see them around. Be confident and just ask whatever you want to ask
    No big deal
    Matter of opinion but one good thing about a note is that it can be annonymous and you can be sure there will be no arguments (unless they see you put the note on).
    You do run the risk of challenging someone that the other person may not be as calm about it as you may be which could result in frosty relations between neighbours which is the last thing anyone wants.

Advertisement