Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft in Sligo

• 18-01-2010 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Interest in New Site In Sligo
    I'd just like to gauge interest in a site for Sligo.

If it was to go ahead it would be run in strict accordance with IAA guidelines and run as a members club only. I'd just like to estimate numbers if your interested drop in a line.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

Best of Luck man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

Good luck with your venture. I'm opening one between Ballinasloe and Athlone. Probably be another couple of months before it opens. There are advantages and disadvantages to operating as a club. If you need any info just send me a PM and I will give you any advice I can.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SligoAirsoft

Brabazone wrote: »
    Good luck with your venture. I'm opening one between Ballinasloe and Athlone. Probably be another couple of months before it opens. There are advantages and disadvantages to operating as a club. If you need any info just send me a PM and I will give you any advice I can.:)

Cheers any help with regards research between club and non club would be greatly appreciated regardless of how relevant you think it may be, I'm hoping people are interested enough to reply. I read your tread the village idea was a great one how are things moving on for you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

Cheers any help with regards research between club and non club would be greatly appreciated regardless of how relevant you think it may be, I'm hoping people are interested enough to reply. I read your tread the village idea was a great one how are things moving on for you ?

This week should prove to be very busy as I will have to try and pull everything together that I have been doing for the past few months. I don't see any major problems appearing but you never know. Still waiting to hear back from a couple of people but everyone has been very helpful so far so I don't want to push them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

Interest in New Site In Sligo
    I'd just like to gauge interest in a site for Sligo.

If it was to go ahead it would be run in strict accordance with IAA guidelines and run as a members club only. I'd just like to estimate numbers if your interested drop in a line.

I'd be interested.
    I know a few lads who don't use boards but would be interested too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

"if you build it, they will come.."

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ddoom

Another two who would be interested.

Cheers lads spread the word...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

will it be close to the town?

if so then im in

good luck

mayotobo wrote: »
    will it be close to the town?

if so then im in

good luck

Nothing written in stone yet, just getting an idea of numbers for now. Nothing will go ahead if the interest is not there. We have a few sites ear marked but it depends on the general consensus of the players as to weather or not people prefer milsim or skirmishing this will directly have an effect on the type of site we settle on.

• Advertisement

Nothing written in stone yet, just getting an idea of numbers for now. Nothing will go ahead if the interest is not there. We have a few sites ear marked but it depends on the general consensus of the players as to weather or not people prefer milsim or skirmishing this will directly have an effect on the type of site we settle on.

I don't think you will get firm numbers before setting up the site as there are an awful lot of players out there who don't use boards.
    Best bet, IMO, is to pick a site you think is suitable and go with it and in the mean time we can use word of mouth to get players out to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

there is a huge lack of airsoft sites in the west aside from GTAC. the distance to travel to a venue is (in my opinion) one of the main reasons why players from the west dont attend skirmishes as often as would be hoped. In my case and several of my friends aswell. Id imagine that this would apply to a large group of gunslingers...get it, the West, gunslingers:)...no...ok never mind.

mayotobo wrote: »
    there is a huge lack of airsoft sites in the west aside from GTAC. the distance to travel to a venue is (in my opinion) one of the main reasons why players from the west dont attend skirmishes as often as would be hoped. In my case and several of my friends aswell. Id imagine that this would apply to a large group of gunslingers...get it, the West, gunslingers:)...no...ok never mind.

To be honest mate, one of the main reasons why we have put this idea out there is because of that exact reason, travelling up and down to Dublin is just getting a bit much. Don't get me wrong the likes of Redbarn, Shadowlands and others would be like a benchmark to use, they are great sites run by great people but its time that the Sligo/Leitrim area got a proper site going and hopefully a few teams will stem from a regular place to play and practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

do it now

Would be no harm to organise a meet of Sligo airsofters at some stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Gunnar

count me in very interested

Hi

We will be announcing more information on this tread over the next 2 - 3 weeks as it takes place. Its great to see the interest in the site, good and positive. We will open an official boards tread after the opening and a website is being developed as we speak to cater for the site and also offer a web/shop for the west so all good for now.

So all I can say for now is keep an eye on this tread and keep the interests coming in

cheers

Looks like you guys have being busy, all very positive news and look forward to hearing more about the venture.

any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbroe333

id be intrested what age limit would there be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

Sorry for not getting back to you all in a while, all is still very positive.
    the site is currently still under negotiations but we are still moving forward positively all be it slowly.
    As far as the age limit on the site is concerned, this will be determined by IAA recommendations but from the outset, I'd say In the case of 14yrs to 18yrs a parent or guardian would have to be present on site to sign the required forms.

but besides all that as an avid player myself All I can say lads is that the proposed site ROCKs its really Kicks
    and if all goes to plan you will not be disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

have you's been in contact with the IAA regarding the site

Gatling wrote: »
    have you's been in contact with the IAA regarding the site

We've been lucky enough to be receiving guidance from BioHazRd from the outset. I'm sure if you pm him he will vouch for us regarding the above.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbroe333

sound thanks id be intrested then

dbroe333 wrote: »
    sound thanks id be intrested then

Sound just keep an eye here for updates

Hi Lads,

Just to let you all know had another meeting with the landowner and it went really well, I'm hoping to be able to post up some photos of the site soon, hopefully in the next week or so, sorry for the delay but these things take a bit of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 donna80

i'm in just let'me know ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 senior dingdong

Sligo area would be great I'm up for if I know a few guys who would be interested too. Keep us posted please

Sligo area would be great I'm up for if I know a few guys who would be interested too. Keep us posted please

That's great news the more the better. I think at a glance of the tread and some PM's we should have around 30-40 people. We are trying to push things as fast as we can, sorry for the delay lads but at least things are moving forward all be it slowly in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Just confirmed that the proposed site is approximately 76 acres which I think may make it one of Ireland's Largest airsofts sites but I could be corrected.

your calling the sligo sit tigerland?

i don't know what to say , its too much

:cool:

Tigger wrote: »
    your calling the sligo sit tigerland?

i don't know what to say , its too much

:cool:

ha ha what can I say we aim to please :D

Any hint (by way of GPS coords or google map link) as to where the site is located?
    Any website yet? (sligoairsoft.com doesn't connect for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

Man I'm outrageously interested too, count me in for whatever's going on.....

i know

send 15 yo yos and a self addressed envelope for details

i know because i asked the same person a month after you guys did

• Advertisement

i know

send 15 yo yos and a self addressed envelope for details

i know because i asked the same person a month after you guys did

mate I'm lost what do you mean

Any hint (by way of GPS coords or google map link) as to where the site is located?
    Any website yet? (sligoairsoft.com doesn't connect for me)

hi MacAonghusa, ha ha I'd love nothing better than to reveal all but cant at the moment, they wont even let me put up a few pics until they are happy that all is sorted.

ha ha I nearly got lynched for the post I put up earlier in the tread saying photos coming soon as for the web page it was working and up but the guy doing it took it down again to fix some bugs.

are you getting much of a chance to get out and play of late ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jinko

it will be nice to have a place in sligo to go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 magyver

very interested mate where you based in sligo? when can i hope to play! all the best

Danin wrote: »
    mate I'm lost what do you mean

Ia asked the man who owns a bit of land in south Sligo if he'd rent itto me for airsoft seemed ideal for a game he said abunch of guys were starting aclub or something ( he's a funny fella bit posh I know him fromdoing a bits shooting )
    I assume that it's you he's alking about
    I lef ye yo it cos I'd rather someone else be in charge

Iamright amint I

• Advertisement

Ia asked the man who owns a bit of land in south Sligo if he'd rent itto me for airsoft seemed ideal for a game he said abunch of guys were starting aclub or something ( he's a funny fella bit posh I know him fromdoing a bits shooting )
    I assume that it's you he's alking about
    I lef ye yo it cos I'd rather someone else be in charge

Iamright amint I
    thank god a members club is starting up! they are the best there is an iv played uk, irl an parts of europe. the dedication you get from a private members club is outstanding. look at MAC! one of best in Ireland wouldnt you agree

magyver wrote: »
    thank god a members club is starting up! they are the best there is an iv played uk, irl an parts of europe. the dedication you get from a private members club is outstanding. look at MAC! one of best in Ireland wouldnt you agree

Have you been invited to play at MAC ? or are you a member ?

Have you been invited to play at MAC ? or are you a member ?

invited mate. only the best are invited :) you can kiss mine mate. challenge match perhaps? you can pick your venue get it YOUR venue, ah bad joke i know :)

will it really be just a members club mate?

are you getting much of a chance to get out and play of late ?

Haven't been out in over a year. Too busy to travel so need somewhere local...
    Plinking is all i've been at.

magyver wrote: »
    invited mate. only the best are invited :) you can kiss mine mate. challenge match perhaps? you can pick your venue get it YOUR venue, ah bad joke i know :)

will it really be just a members club mate?

Magyver I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused by the above, if I've offended you in any way please accept my apologies straight away but to my knowledge I don't think we've chatted on boards before nor have we met before gaming so I'm a bit lost with regards to who you are and what you mean by your statement maybe you'd like to elaborate

is it that you want to challenge the Tigers in MAC, if that's the case I think you have to issue the challenge through Stonecold and the lads in MAC.
    Just to let you know the Tigers Team is a completely separate entity to this tread and are based in Dublin they have nothing to do with the new site being developed bar that I'm a member of their team.

I hope this clears a few things up for you

Magyver I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused by the above, if I've offended you in any way please accept my apologies straight away but to my knowledge I don't think we've chatted on boards before nor have we met before gaming so I'm a bit lost with regards to who you are and what you mean by your statement maybe you'd like to elaborate

I think he was just joking Danin as in, "i've been invited cos i'm the best, dare to challenge me? ... " ...

You setting up another team at the new site?
    I've told a few former airsofters about the site and they're interested too.

Seems to be moving in the right direction which is great.
    It has been the main reason Airsoft is not as popular here as it maybe should be.

Just a few questions regarding the setup.

Will this be a Club Site, or open to General Public, or both?

Is it the Site Organisers intention to utilise the entire 76 acres for Airsoft related activities.

Is there a provisional date for the opening of said site.

Feel a little bit like All dressed up and no where to go, got the gear but no where to use it like so many I am excited by the prospect of being able to attend local events on a regular basis.

D Doom

I think he was just joking Danin as in, "i've been invited cos i'm the best, dare to challenge me? ... " ....

no worries but you know boards, its possible to read things in many different ways, no harm done just didn't want anyone thinking there was an alternative motive to the opening of the site. Our main aim is just provide a designated area for people to enjoy the sport in Sligo and neighbouring counties for the love of the sport because believe me their is no other reason you'd put yourself through the last year we've had otherwise.
    You setting up another team at the new site?
    I've told a few former airsofters about the site and they're interested too.
    This is my particular favorite part of the whole thing by having a designated place to train I'm hoping their will be an opportunity for a number of new teams to develop and call Tigerland their home ground so to speak.
    ddoom wrote: »
    Seems to be moving in the right direction which is great.
    It has been the main reason Airsoft is not as popular here as it maybe should be.

Just a few questions regarding the setup.

Will this be a Club Site, or open to General Public, or both?

Is it the Site Organisers intention to utilise the entire 76 acres for Airsoft related activities.
    D Doom

Its been a difficult job trying to get this off the ground but we are nearly there, the answer to your first question is kind of both, a member will have the opportunity to invite new people to play but will be responsible for their behaviour and conduct on site basically if they carry on in an unacceptable manner both will be asked to leave out of respect for existing regular players. We think that this would be the fairest approach. Basically their will be no walk ons and we would have to be informed of new players in advance.

As far as the 76 acres goes its early days but it is there to be utilised we are hoping we will eventually have it all in play it will depend on numbers and game type and experience. I know this may sound a bit vague but we will have to cater for both milsim and skermish.

ya was just a little pun joke on your tagline "kiss my axe". no worries mate where you based in sligo would be good to get local team sorted. seems to be alot of interest in sligo for airsofters i thought i was one of few

is it that you want to challenge the Tigers in MAC, if that's the case I think you have to issue the challenge through Stonecold and the lads in MAC.
    Just to let you know the Tigers Team is a completely separate entity to this tread and are based in Dublin they have nothing to do with the new site being developed bar that I'm a member of their team.

I hope this clears a few things up for you

It's a quote from an old 2000AD comic book character based on a celtic warrior, it was cool because you'd see references to Irish history, language and places back when that didn't really happen. "showing my age" ha ha and the artwork by Simon Bisley was wicked, just to give you a bit of background one of my many jobs in the past was colouring MARVEL and DC comics.

slaine20bisley1.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement