Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ping issue?

• 18-01-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

8198002.png

Can anyone explain why I'm getting an F? COD Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3 and the hits dont really register all of the time and lag is a major issue.

UPC 10mb broadband, wi-fi connection, router about 10 inches away from the PS3, Galway area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If it's the cisco combined modem/router, quite a few people had a vast improvement in connection quality after turning off the firewall on the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

How'd you do that? Need to change the password on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭finno

dmcg90 wrote: »
    How'd you do that? Need to change the password on it too.

Go to http://192.168.1.1 and you can change it there.i was the same as you today i turn of the firewall and now all is good

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

finno wrote: »
    Go to http://192.168.1.1 and you can change it there.i was the same as you today i turn of the firewall and now all is good

would like to try this.. where do i get my logon and passward though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

It is probably blank by default, when you first login it will ask you to set a password.

• Advertisement

cool, cheers will give that a go later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

If the PS3 is only 10 inches away from the router I'd be more inclined to go for a wired connection tbh.

should i untick IP Flood Detection as well?

edit: Thanks alot guys!

from an F to a A

687696216.png
    8261279.png

P.s Still need to know about IP Flood

Cheers

anyone else experiencing really bad upload speeds since the "upgrade"?

I reset my modem on upc's intructions and then disabled the firewall like the above posts say but im now only getting 200kbs upload.. used to get 1.5mbs on the 20meg package

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I too was getting an 'F' on pingtest.net. I turned off the firewall protection and got an 'A' instead.
    So, what does this mean for me, if I was to turn off the firewall protection all together, and keep it off?
    Do I need it on? Should I keep it on. Recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Damien360

Personally I keep my firewall on. Turn off IP flood detection. I found an improvement for torrents and PS3 online gaming with it off. I only play COD2 online so not sure of any other game or platform. Stick your PS3 in the DMZ by giving your PS3 a fixed IP address (use the custom settings and put it in the network address range) and putting this address into the DMZ.

This works for me and I my wife is often using the PC at the same time. I rarely get lag. I sometimes find that this is user specific and I put it down to cheaters with lag switches.

There was a thread here a while back and a mod answered the pingtest question. It was a beta site and not reliable data. Turning off your firewall will give you a better result but your internet will be no better. It is a test between your router and that site only. Getting an F or an A is nonsence.

I look at upload and download and pings via the magnet speedtest site. Again not really a true test and most here will tell you to download a large file as a speedtest instead. Note: I just tried that site and it is down.

There are better people here to explain but I suspect you will not get an answer as it has been answered on a large thread before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Thanks for the info mate. Much appreciated. Turned off ip Flood detection. No problems. Thanks again.

Advertisement