Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Communication Course

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I am currently in third year in secondary school. I know this could be slightly too young to be thinking of career opportunities but I like to have options and ideas set out.

Recently I decided I would love designing box art for video games and illustrate posters... I know this sounds vague but I love the idea of drawing something and then seeing it around everywhere. I don't want to do something with photomanipulation, more actual paintings.

I would of course love to do my own designs for such products but I doubt there would be any career opportunity to do so. Anyway, my question is this:

Would this course http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/design/viscom.shtml be the course and education I need to get such a job?

I have a graphics tablet already also... Would this course involve the use of one? This question is specifically geared to anyone who's taken the course obviously ^.^

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

The job you're interested in would be graphic design

It's part of most digital art based courses, including Visual Communications

However, you wouldn't make a career out of that one thing

Most computer game covers need little design, as the main images would be screenshots of the actual game, developed by the programmers

A graphics tablet is just an input method, so I'm sure if it's not used in a specific college, you can use your own

One of the first things you'll learn about digital art is that there's usually several ways of doin the one thing

Honestly though, i wouldn't worry about it right now

If you do art, work on an EXCEPTIONAL portfolio [If you dont, try do it after 3rd year for the LC]

Tell your teacher its for college, not just the Leavin Cert exam

Now get back to some Junior Cert studyin!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    Would this course http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/design/viscom.shtml be the course and education I need to get such a job?

I have a graphics tablet already also... Would this course involve the use of one? This question is specifically geared to anyone who's taken the course obviously ^.^

Yes, any degree in 'Visual Communications' will suit you. Basically you're talking about becoming a 'graphic designer' or being an 'illustrator.

There's also a good course in IADT too - check that out. If you're not doing art in school already then get that sorted, it's very important.

Most courses in colleges (as far as I know) won't teach you too much about how to use a drawing tablet as they focus on many of the core skills like drawing, typography, layout, concept generation etc... that really are the core of a designer's skill. Learning software, and technical skills are usually something you do on your own to compliment the college learning.

You should also check out Illustrator's Ireland. Design and Illustration are similar, but being an illustrator is more about actual drawing and may be of interest to you. Check out this site: http://www.illustratorsireland.com/

Also, check out www.creativeireland.com. It's a good resource, just ignore some of the people who are overly negative.

Hope that helps - fire away any more questions.

Advertisement