Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you vote where you reside or vote at 'home'?

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Every election I'm astounded by the number of colleagues who rather than vote where they live in Dublin (or wherever) they go 'home' to vote. This despite many of them having left home 20 years ago.
    I'd suspect that the numbers going 'home' to vote are large and that some areas may be quite over represented.
    I dont go 'home' to vote btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wherever I reside. To date that's meant voting in Galway West, South Dublin, Meath and will be Wicklow at the next elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This would just be stupid for me more or less. Though its not something I didnt hear about, especially in Colorado during the elections, but in that case it was the opposite: College students were opting not to vote in their respective "Lock" states and chose to vote where they were residing, in the swing state of Colorado.

For the most part its an absurd concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Where I reside now. Usually but not always voted at my parents when I was a student. Then my parents were only 45 miles away so not exactly a big trek or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I vote where I used to live, in Clondalkin. When I was 18 I lived with my mother. Now neither of us live in South Dublin; I live in Dublin Central, but last year I lived in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, and next year who knows? So until such a time as I know I'll be somewhere for more than 2 elections, I'll just return to Clondalkin to vote.

Advertisement