Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stieg larsson??

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

has anyone read the millennium triology by stieg larsson. i bought the girl with the drogon tattoo ages ago hoping to read it over the xmas holidays but got stuck in a different book. its sitting beside my bed but i feel everytime i open it i decide to wait another day/week.

if you read how did you find the book? it looks very heavy to me, one of reasons i keep avoiding it even thought i know i wont be able to put it down once i begin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Online01

Hi

I read all 3 over Christmas

First one is the best - some of the "ethical" questions that come up are dealt with well. Not preachy.

Second one was way too "character" focused for me.

Third was grand, kind tied a up with the other two nicely.

Start it and see how you go...

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pixiegaga

wow you are like god to me..i was planning on doing that but got hooked on true blood books...:/ ive a secret obsession with vampire books...

yes i might start at the weekend...just they look so daunting...read reviews online too they make the books out to be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Three excellent books. The only weakness I found was that the first part of the second book was slow in developing the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Read the three of them over five days at Christmas. enjoyed them a lot.

honestly didnt realise they were so popular....guess thats what you get when none of your family/friends/people you say hi to read books...:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest this weekend.

It's a great series, well worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Online01

Hi

I remembered reading somewhere that they were going to make a movie

Have just searched and its done already - trailor on you tube already (fair warning not to look before you have read the first one at least)

Subtitled etc, looks a bit like criminal minds type of style.

R

love criminal minds..:) reason i got into crime books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 KRIS VL

All three books are indeed well worth reading. I sincerely hope that the manuscripts of the 4th book and further will be released (you can read the story about that on wiki pedia) I guess that it can help to be an experienced reader, as these are long stories. The movies of these books are now being released throughout Europe. Some of the violent scenes described in the books, I prefer not to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

pixiegaga wrote: »
    wow you are like god to me..i was planning on doing that but got hooked on true blood books...:/ ive a secret obsession with vampire books...

I read all three and found them brilliant. Im a big Charlaine Harris fan as well so I guess we have similar tatse :). Once you read 'the Girl with the dragon tattoo' you'll be hooked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Charlaine Harris fan here... & I finished the 9 books couple weeks ago & what was the first book I went out & bought? Girl with a Dragon Tatoo. It's sitting on my nightside asking to be read. I ended up re-reading Time Travellers Wife though instead.

Will get into the Steig Larsson series next though.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

I think these books are easy enough to read apart from the strange Swedish names you have to remember. But i'd recommend reading them soon before the movie comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

started in the middle and have just finished the third one, must go and buy the first one now

So who are you casting in your mind as Lisbeth?

N Portman at the moment with me

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

So who are you casting in your mind as Lisbeth?
    olga kurylenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just finished 3rd book last night, found all 3 very long winded initially and took ages to get going, but that said very enjoyable indeed. The very end of the 3rd book made me want to vomit though :D

Didn't realise there was a 4th book in the works before his death, though i was half expecting the character from the end of the 3rd book would be involved but they took care of that in the 3rd.

I have seen the 1st 2 movies and waiting for the 3rd to come out on dvd next month. They are true enough to the books and very well cast, the girl who plays Lisbeth was exactly how i imagined she would look in the books

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2930018304/nm0636426

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AEG

Loved this series and I really hope that a fourth book in completed by Steig Larrson's partner - assuming of course its up to the quality of the first three and as well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The first I learned of Steig Larrsson was when I read this piece about his partner in the Observer on Feb 21st. She has a very interesting story to tell.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/21/stieg-larsson-eva-gabrielsson

Interesting read there Aidric, intersting point about the english translations. I'd love to know what a sweadish speaker thought of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Read the first one. That was enough for me.

Read the first one. That was enough for me.

Thought it was the weakest of the 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭pavb2

Also read 1st one thought it was ok, an easy read but the detail on emails, computers etc a bit unnecessary (maybe because this was relatively new a few years ago)

stretched credibility a bit.

BTW how do you discuss books plots etc on here without spoiling story or giving too much away for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Started the first one and gave it straight back to the person who lent it to me after the first few chapters - awful characters, badly translated (I didn't feel that the story flowed that well) and incredibly boring.. was (and am still) shocked at the rave reviews that the series is getting..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

trustno1 wrote: »
    Started the first one and gave it straight back to the person who lent it to me after the first few chapters - awful characters, badly translated (I didn't feel that the story flowed that well) and incredibly boring.. was (and am still) shocked at the rave reviews that the series is getting..

Don't understand the rave reviews either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

pavb2 wrote: »
    Also read 1st one thought it was ok, an easy read but the detail on emails, computers etc a bit unnecessary (maybe because this was relatively new a few years ago)

Trying not to spoil plot but thought the jump from a business man to out & out villain with no hints clues,build up etc stretched credibility a bit.

BTW how do you discuss books plots etc on here without spoiling story or giving too much away for others.

You should use spoiler tags. Just wrap the spoilers in [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] without the spaces in the brackets. Or just highlight the spoiler text and hit the spoiler tag button over the text box and it will do that for you. You have given away a key plot point so it would be great if you would edit it and put it in spoiler tags.

I read all 3 books a few months ago and really liked them. Lisbeth is a great character. My only problem was that
    There are no bad female characters. It is all men that do the horrible things and the women are all good. I know the Swedish title of the first book is Men Who Hit Women so that probably explains it but by the end of the third book I really wanted to see at least one female character who did something bad.

I'm looking forward to the movies. I'm glad that they were made by Swedes instead of Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭pavb2

OK took out text but where are the spoiler tag buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Enjoyed the 3 books. Lisbeth is almost too superhero like though and was he being very obvious in writing up the main male character as a journalist that all women fall for (seen as he was a journalist and all).. Look forward all the same to seeing the European film of the 1st book. not sure about any Hollywood representation of it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

are all the movis subtitled and how do they compare to the books...just finished the books and am going to start watchin the fims...is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

read the first book it was a decent read but i wasn't blown away ... a little overated if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

read the first book it was a decent read but i wasn't blown away ... a little overated if you ask me
    What are the films like?i agree about them being overated by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Really enjoyed the books. I've only seen the first film - very true to the book, so extremely graphic scenes, one in particular I couldn't even watch, along with most of the people in the cinema. Thought it was excellent, can't understand why they're doing an American remake? It was really refreshing to see "normal" people in a film, not botoxed, waxed within an inch of their lives actors.

Advertisement