Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Donegal win by a single point.

Well done lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

muffler wrote: »
    Donegal win by a single point.

Well done lads :)

Not a great 2nd half. Lucky to hang on with a man down for most of it.

Roll on the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A good win yesterday. Laois seem to be getting credit for a 'valiant effort' and 'superb comeback'-do the meeja know that Donegal played for 30 minutes or so with 14 men? Sure it was tight at the end-and the fact that MJ Tierney looked very different from the player that scored 1-10 against us 2 weeks ago certainly helped things. But we had to manage without Neil McGee and a half fit Michael Murphy for much of the 2nd half.

Karl Lacey was absolutely outstanding. I'm not sure who got man of the match, think it was Murphy, but I would have given it to Lacey. He had a brilliant game in defence and was also made some great runs into the Laois half.

We're still far from perfect. The difference between the pace and intensity in the Division 2 and Division 1 finals was stark-I'd be worried of a similar scoreline to 2009 if we met Cork again any time soon. Hopefully Division 1 football will bring is up the curve next year, or maybe a couple of hard games in the Ulster Championship will do the same-but it's unlikely to happen in either the preliminary or the 1st round given the average opposition we are likely to face.

Hopefully we'll see Leo McLoone at some stage and Christy Toye is back playing club football, as is Dara Gallagher, who I thought played well enough on Friday night. We really need guys who can help out around the middle.

Tir Conaill abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

A great occasion today in Glen as they took on Kilcar in division two. Im sure manys a county game was played out before smaller crowds than was in there today. Some fantastic scores went thru the sticks in the glorious may day sunshine and the atmosphere was fever pitch championship style as the pride of the parishes and bragging rights were at stake. Mc Hugh and Mc brearty were brilliant for the winners who won by a point 0-14 to 2-06 after a late glen rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I heard last nigh in town that there was nearly 2,000 at the game!! Young Patrick McBrearty is some prospect he stood out on the day with his great pace and took some great scores the only thing that spoilt the day was the strong wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Getting closer now! Seems to be a great spirit in the camp. Revenge will be ours!!!! :D

Remember folks anyone interested in joining us behind the goals at the town end for some craic and getting behind the team with colour and noise are more than welcome and spread the word and get behind the team, Your County Need You!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Just wondering does anyone know if the covered stand for tomorrows game is assigned seating. I know some tickets out there are assigned but was wondering if maybe that was just one section and the rest unassigned

Half time in the minor game Antrim 1-6 0-5 Donegal

Full time minor result Antrim 2-09 to 1-07 Donegal
    Paddy Mc Brearty with 1-3 straight onto senior bench

Ht in senior game Donegal 0-6 to 0-3 Antrim. Poor defensive game with scores hard won so far

Result Donegal 1-10 to 0-7 Antrim. Well we won against a team who came to contain and thats the main thing

Yeah, we got the win and let's take that and move on. Bad weather and poor football-fair play to those 7,500 odd who turned up, especially anyone who paid €27 for the stand. Good to see McHugh getting a goal, he needs to add a bit of scoring to his game.

• Advertisement

I see Paddy Power has online odds for the county championship first round games: http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-matches/donegal-club-football-matches

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Carrickman wrote: »
    I see Paddy Power has online odds for the county championship first round games: http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-matches/donegal-club-football-matches

We're 3/1 to beat Four Masters? Bargain of the century :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Liam Hayes doesn't think much of the way Donegal play football...

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/22/friday/1/popup

about 48 mins in..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Firblog wrote: »
    Liam Hayes doesn't think much of the way Donegal play football...

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/22/friday/1/popup

about 48 mins in..

Ah, the Dunphy of GAA! Miss the Tribune.

Most counties play that style of football at some stage, even traditional counties like Dublin and Kerry!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

First round of the club championship Killybegs got hammered by a rampant Kilcar in Fintra. Killybegs were missing eight first team players (6 injured and 2 away to states) and Kilcar simply dominated all over. I wouldnt read too much into it as Killybegs were so depleted but Kilcar looked really impressive and kicked some wonderful scores from all areas and could be the dark horses this summer. Final score 14 - 6 to Kilcar.

Four Masters hammered Bundoran 2-13 to 9 with Paul Durcan the county keeper playing full forward and scoring 1-3.

Glenties drew 6 each against Glenswilly in a low scoring game.

St Eunans squeezed at 9 points to 7 away win in Dungloe.

Ardara beat Cloughaneely 2-09 to 10

Gweedore beat Termon 1-12 to 5

St Michaels beat Mc Cumhaills 12 to 10pts

Malin lost to Glenfin 2-12 to 3-12.

Ardara and Gweedore were the only two teams to win at home. Going on the first games it looks like the usual suspects Glenties and Eunans with real good challenges coming from Four Masters and Kilcar for me

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

rushnaldo wrote: »

Four Masters hammered Bundoran 2-13 to 9 with Paul Durcan the county keeper playing full forward and scoring 1-3.

Was up at the game, Bundoran had him covered well up to half time and were up 8-6 i think it was at the break, then for some bizarre reason brought on someone else to cover him after the break, bang in goes the goal, hearts collapsed and they only got 1 point the whole second half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Correction Rushanaldo - 5 first teamers injured and only one of the state bound guys is a first team player. The other guy is a reserve player.

What was the story with the poor Killybegs support? Kilcar had about 70% of the attendence. Pretty shocking considering it was a home game.

6 injured, molloy, cannon, mooner, pauric gallagher, shane boyle, and Declan boyle. And Dunne was playing first team in the league this season with all the injuries. Yeah the majority was Kilcar fans but Kilcar have massive support as we seen at that league game in Glen. They would of had more support only for the confirmation or whatever was on. There was a big wedding in Killybegs on sat but I doubt that affected it much. Not much of a buzz about it this year with the depleted squad. But even with a full squad they wouldnt live with Kilcar on that form in the second half.

So it seems the same old problems are still there, regardless of who the manager is (ref. Adrian Hanlon's dismissal). I'm sure this happens in other counties, but we have a very poor record. Are the disciplinary standards higher in Donegal than in other counties or do (some) of our players just not seem to give a ****?

An interesting weekend. Reports surfaced about Michael Murphy's hospitalisation due to a blood clot in his leg. Thankfully, he seems to be on the mend, and Jim McGuinness is confident that he will be fit for Cavan.

A big win over Leitrim in a challenge game to open Red Hughs new pitch. I guess the highlight would have to be that Patrick McBrearty bagged 1-3, which is encouraging, even if others scored more. Darragh Gallagher and Christy Toye also returned to the side.

• Advertisement

So Donegal's second match of the summer is this Sunday in Cavan seeing as the last match was like a league game in February going to try and get a bit of an atmosphere going on Sunday. Anyone interested meet behind the town end and if you are about the town before the game the "Top of the Town" is where a few of us are meeting to get a bit of craic going!!

Spread the word and lets hope for a positive performance and result and a crack at Tyrone in the semis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So it seems the same old problems are still there, regardless of who the manager is (ref. Adrian Hanlon's dismissal). I'm sure this happens in other counties, but we have a very poor record. Are the disciplinary standards higher in Donegal than in other counties or do (some) of our players just not seem to give a ****?

I'm sure it does happen in other counties but Hanlon only has himself to blame, put it down to inexperience if you will be he's old enough to know better.

So a good win, against a very poor team, not helped by the ref. Didn't see the Murphy sending off, so will have to watch the re-run now on BBC2 to see if it was justified. Just to say that Martin Sludden was the linesman involved.

Highlights for me were the performances of Patrick McBrearty, Neil McGee, Karl Lacey and the return of Leo McLoone.

Not a great tune up for Tyrone, but we'll take it and move on.

So after seeing it on TV, ridiculous decision to send off Murphy. Hopefully reduced to a yellow on appeal, or just wiped out altogether.

So the red card has been overturned. The right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lovebud

yeah cavan player got m.m sent off going down holdin his face.... equally sludden on the line was 2 yards away yet said nothing....him being tyrone maybe he was trying to redeem his reputation in his own county. or may im just reading too much into the whole thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

As someone who will be going to a game in Clones for the first could you please recommend where is the best place in the town to park? I will be coming in from the Newtonbutler road.

Thanks

Paracore wrote: »
    As someone who will be going to a game in Clones for the first could you please recommend where is the best place in the town to park? I will be coming in from the Newtonbutler road.

Thanks

Just drive on in until you see cars parked up.

:)

Paragon Bar for a few pre match discussions and behind the goals (the terraced side) to see can we get some noise going for the team and hopefully it will be a nice day, I have been going to championship matches since 1989 and cant remember having two wet games in a row never mind three!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Paracore wrote: »

Thanks

Long time since I came in that road for a game but when we did we just parked up on the Newtonbutler road just on the outside of the town, you have a wee bit of a walk to the pitch then, but its grand as there is a great atmosphere in the town on the walk up to the pitch which is all part of the day going to a big match in Clones. Oh be in no hurry out of Clones again many have tried and all have failed, grand if you have win but dam depressing if you have lost !!!!

Advertisement