Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

I think neutrals don't like to watch Donegal because their style is not easy on the eye. We have had a great year and far exceeded expectations. I just hope we can build on it next year and now that we have tightened up I hope we can improve our attack and then we could really be a formidable force.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

As a Dub living in Donegal (wife from Donegal), I am proud of what Donegal have achieved this year. I was appalled by the commentary from RTE yesterday and the pointed questions directed at Jim McGuinness afterwards. They were discriminating against the people of Donegal as a whole. RTE should issue an apology for it. As the NATIONAL broadcaster they should not be poking fun at us here in the northwest as we pay our TV licenses as well. The donegal TD's should raise this blatant "countyism" in the Dáil.

Maybe the football wasn't pretty to watch, but surely Defence is as much a part of the game as Attack. In that case Donegal gave a master class in the skills of defence. How many time was the ball blocked down, or the ball won from the Dubs etc. Who cares if Donegal stopped Dublin playing for most of the game. Surely the criticism should be against the team that's not capable of overcoming that test. The turning point in the game was when Karl Lacey was taken off and not down to any brilliant change of tactics by Dublin. Does PatSpillane want other teams to play pretty football just so that Kerry can beat them. He's like a child that isn't getting what he wants.
    I'm sure this Donegal team will go on to develop their systems and win more silverware next year. Best of luck and thanks for the pride and colour instilled into Donegal this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Well said Muckish, well said! You deserve full Donegal citizenship! I don't even know what the commentators said because I didn't bother to listen to them. I'm still a proud Donegal supporter, regardless of Sunday's result and what negative things have been said about our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

How long did it take Spillane to come with his Shi'ite quip - that wasn't an off the cuff remark. Pat Spillane obviously had rehearsed that one long before he got on air - says all you need to know about Pat. He came out with a variation of the same remarks about Tyrone. But he soon shut up when they started winning All Irelands. Pat Spillane believes he is the fount of all knowledge when it comes to Gaelic football. In other words he is delusional. Well done Donegal. You did the county proud. Up here it's different - we don't care what Spillane and the media hacks in the capital think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

It's easy for Spillane and co to sit in their glass box(Ivory tower) and collect their big pay cheques from RTE/ Sunday world and whatever other Media they get paid to talk their crap to. I find it disgusting that they are <SNIP> Jim Mc Guinness and the Donegal team on TV, you would think they murdered someone FFS it's a GAME and the object of the GAME is to WIN and within the rules, Dublin ended up winning after applying the same tactics as Donegal but for some reason that seems to be forgotten, and Karl Lacey was targeted from the start, I was at the game and he was getting abuse from the minute the ball was thrown in also no word of that! I am sick to death of the slagging of Donegal all summer :mad::mad:

Mod edit: Careful with the wording

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seen the bauld Pat on "Reeling in the Years" earlier when in 2003 he described Tyrone's style as being "puke football". That was of course after they had defeated Kerry in the semi final and went on to lift Sam.

How those words must have came back to haunt him and here's hoping it will be a case of more of the same with regards to his comments about Donegal's style of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Aoife9 wrote: »
    I Dublin ended up winning after applying the same tactics as Donegal but for some reason that seems to be forgotten, and Karl Lacey was targeted from the start, :mad::mad:
    Mod edit: Careful with the wording
    A couple of points about Sunday
    Lacey was no more targeted than Bernard Brogan and to a lesser extent Ger Brennan (most know Brennan has a short fuse). Dublins tactic of keeping Brogan as close to the Donegal goal as possible meant when he was foulded the free could be scored. with 2 or 3 players jostling with him for possession he was always going to pick up a few frees. Kildare made a mistake of double tagging him when Dublin were reduced to 14players and this cost them the game in the 1 to 1 battles the Kildare player was winning hands down. McGee was good enough to take on Brogan and Donegal should have used a sweeper in front of Brogan and this would have allowed Murphy more time on the ball in Dublin half and put Donegal in a better position to win. Hope that makes sense.

Spillane is there to entertain so take what he says with a pinch of salt, he gives us Dubs plenty of stick as does our neighbour Colm O'Rourke.

I think where the argument is coming from about Donegal style of play is along these lines. In Micheal Murphy and Colm McFadden Donegal have 2 of the finest forward players in Ireland. We will all agree on that, I think!! So explain why was Murphy kept so far away from the Dublin Goal.The role Murphy played out the pitch could have been played by a number of players so basically he was wasted for 75 minutes. Dublin have proved over the last few years you cant win a game with 1 forward as Dublin have relied on Bernard Brogan for the last few years.so why would donegal be any different and rely solely on McFadden? I think if Murphy had got 20% of his possession inside Dublin 50 yard line Donegal would be preparing for an All-Ireland final.

Finally, well done to the great supportors from both sides who made it such a great occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LeoB wrote: »
    A couple of points about Sunday
    Lacey was no more targeted than Bernard Brogan and to a lesser extent Ger Brennan (most know Brennan has a short fuse). Dublins tactic of keeping Brogan as close to the Donegal goal as possible meant when he was foulded the free could be scored. with 2 or 3 players jostling with him for possession he was always going to pick up a few frees. Kildare made a mistake of double tagging him when Dublin were reduced to 14players and this cost them the game in the 1 to 1 battles the Kildare player was winning hands down. McGee was good enough to take on Brogan and Donegal should have used a sweeper in front of Brogan and this would have allowed Murphy more time on the ball in Dublin half and put Donegal in a better position to win. Hope that makes sense.

Spillane is there to entertain so take what he says with a pinch of salt, he gives us Dubs plenty of stick as does our neighbour Colm O'Rourke.

I think where the argument is coming from about Donegal style of play is along these lines. In Micheal Murphy and Colm McFadden Donegal have 2 of the finest forward players in Ireland. We will all agree on that, I think!! So explain why was Murphy kept so far away from the Dublin Goal.The role Murphy played out the pitch could have been played by a number of players so basically he was wasted for 75 minutes. Dublin have proved over the last few years you cant win a game with 1 forward as Dublin have relied on Bernard Brogan for the last few years.so why would donegal be any different and rely solely on McFadden? I think if Murphy had got 20% of his possession inside Dublin 50 yard line Donegal would be preparing for an All-Ireland final.

Finally, well done to the great supportors from both sides who made it such a great occasion.

Well it seems you admit Lacey was targeted which is fair enough. IMO the most naturally talented player on the pitch but generally regarded as good as Murphy, Bernard Brogan and McFadden. He was the team leader who'd have been intrinsic to Donegal come the last 15 minutes in decision making and accurate foot passing. Definitely the most talented defender on the pitch.

I'd agree McGee was well able for Brogan on his own and he showed that during the match.

Still, Dublin put 3 men on McFadden who doesn't need that attention. I'd agree the difference was not deploying Murphy effectively, that's where Lacey would have come in! Dublin knew what they were at!

The AI will tell a lot. Will be interesting to see how much criticism Dublin get!

The Murphy role couldn't have been fulfilled by another Donegal player. We don't have half forwards who can win ball and distribute it intelligently against a Dublin defensive, intensive system like that. Unless you can name one?

Saying Murphy and McFadden should have been kept as a 2 man FF line is fine but the ball wouldn't have got to them. Murphy was basically playing the Sean Cavanagh role but he's a bit young yet!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Very important to stress not cynacilly targeted. We could sit and say Murphy got targeted and Brogan was targeted but not cynacally
    K-9 wrote: »
    IMO the most naturally talented player on the pitch but generally regarded as good as Murphy, Bernard Brogan and McFadden. He was the team leader who'd have been intrinsic to Donegal come the last 15 minutes in decision making and accurate foot passing. Definitely the most talented defender on the pitch..!
    Ross O Carroll we can point out was a huge loss to Dublin
    I'd agree McGee was well able for Brogan on his own and he showed that during the match...!
    This is a mistake a lot of teams make and I think it cost Donegal big time
    Still, Dublin put 3 men on McFadden who doesn't need that attention. I'd agree the difference was not deploying Murphy effectively, that's where Lacey would have come in! Dublin knew what they were at! ...!
    I dont think Dublin said to themselves we will go out here and "Do" Lacy but his impact on the game had to be diluted. Dublin use this drift defence which is great when it works It didnnt for 7minutes againt Kildare and it nearly cost them the match and my point being had McGuinness thrown off the shackles when Donegal had an extra man?????
    The AI will tell a lot. Will be interesting to see how much criticism Dublin get!

The Murphy role couldn't have been fulfilled by another Donegal player. We don't have half forwards who can win ball and distribute it intelligently against a Dublin defensive, intensive system like that. Unless you can name one?

Saying Murphy and McFadden should have been kept as a 2 man FF line is fine but the ball wouldn't have got to them. Murphy was basically playing the Sean Cavanagh role but he's a bit young yet ...!

Dublin will be hammered by Spillane and and to a lesser extent by O'Rourke. Spillane will try and make Dublin favourites. I have a huge amount of respect for Colm O'Rourke. I think he calls it as he sees it and is usually unbiased. I can assure you if Murphy had hit the jackpot and got scores last Sunday O'Rourke would be the first to give him credit.

I dont believe Donegal dont have a player who could link up defence with attack. The problem with the defence of Dublin and Donegal is when you run at them they give away frees and as I stated earlier thats why Dublin won. Donegal didnt attck when they went a man up but Dublin had to and the point scored by McMenamen came about because Donegal players got in each other way. Ryan Bradley and Rory Kavenagh didnt get enoug quick ball to cause any trouble. I could not name the Donegal player to step in to Murphys role but then sacrafice someone else and put the you McBrearty in beside McFadden?????

Finally Im not a fan of this type of defensive game that Dublin play either. Win or lose there is no substitute for the skill, class and athleticism of so many G.A.A players today.
    BTW I think the Donegal No 2 McGrath will be an All-Star in near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Dublin certinaly went out to nullify Lacey's impact on the the game and it did work to an extent as Karl did not seem to get forward as much. However from watching the game in full again it would seem that his Knee injury may have came from an incident in the 16th Minute in the game.

Ger Brennan (Dub No. 6) lofted a high ball from the cusack stand side in on top of Connolly. Eamon Mc Gee broke the ball down to Neil who fed it to Lacey. You can see lacey dummy to go left but turns back on his right and slips slightly and jars the knee, from that moment he seemed to be limping.

I def think we need to add some extra zip/pace to our half forward line. I think Mc Brearty and Danieil Mc Laughlin would def add some attacking threat from that area. We seen the damage Mc Manamon did when he came on and whilslt he is quick, he is no quicker that mc brearty or mc laughlin.

Its easy for us to be experts here but in Jim we must trust. He had shored up our defence and has said that the offensive element of our game needs work. Its not pretty, but he aint breaking no rules. Its only year 1 of 5 remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Did anyone read Keith DUggan's article in the Irish Times today http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0903/1224303425786.html

Brilliant article about the analysts comments on the DUblin Donegal match. Fair play Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

muckish wrote: »
    Did anyone read Keith DUggan's article in the Irish Times today http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0903/1224303425786.html

Brilliant article about the analysts comments on the DUblin Donegal match. Fair play Keith.

Liam Hayes also defended Donegal in the Daily Mail, he played on the same Meath teams as Colm O'Rourke and attracted big criticism for an autobiography about their win at all costs mentality. I remember being at the 1988 Final between Meath Cork and it was a borefest, full of off the ball stuff and Brian Stafford's frees kept Meath in it.

It's bit like supporters in Soccer criticising 10 men behind the ball tactics. If you are West Brom and that means Premier League survival so be it! If it means Donegal won an Ulster title and are no longer easy to beat, so be it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

muckish wrote: »

I'm not going to dwell on the match, I've talked enough about it. But our 'National Broadcaster' is a ****ing disgrace and fair play to Keith Duggan (and others, such as Off The Ball) calling them out for their 'analysis'. They can call our play/tactics for what it is, but the language used is a disgrace.

I'm proud of my County and what they've achieved this year. That's all that matters to me and that's all that should matter to Jim and the players. We don't owe anybody anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'm not going to dwell on the match, I've talked enough about it. But our 'National Broadcaster' is a ****ing disgrace and fair play to Keith Duggan (and others, such as Off The Ball) calling them out for their 'analysis'. They can call our play/tactics for what it is, but the language used is a disgrace.

I'm proud of my County and what they've achieved this year. That's all that matters to me and that's all that should matter to Jim and the players. We don't owe anybody anything.
    Well said.

Sick of hearing about all this nonsense now really. We have had an unbelievable year and I for one cannot wait till next years championship now.

So McGee, Cassidy and Lacey in Sunday Game 'Team of the Year'. Well deserved and good to see. Also, Kevin Cassidy's point was the '2nd most memorable moment of the year' (after Cluxton's winning score today). Dessie Dolan had a go at our tactics and manager of course, but fair play to John Evans and MJ Tierney coming to our 'defence'.

Alan Quirke mentioned Lacey as Player of the Year and Evans mentioned Murphy as Young Player of the Year, but I wouldn't expect either to win, but good to see the recognition.

16 weeks to the McKenna Cup!

I think Frank Mc Glynn can count himself unlucky not to be recognised. In a year where defensive displays have stood out it was always going to be difficult to compete for places in a team of the year with Mc Gee, Cillian O Sullivan, Fitsymons. Mc Glynn has had an excellent year and has held his own against some serious forwards this year.

Yeah, Frank has had a great year. At 3 out of 6, we were unlikely to get more. Hopefully Frank will be nominated for an All Star (I wouldn't expect him to win and will be surprised if we get more than 2), and Anthony Thompson should probably be nominated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Murphy hits back at critics
    GAA STAR MURPHY BREAKS SILENCE AND SLAMS CRITICS “DISGRACEFUL”
    September 21, 2011
    Donegal captain Michael Murphy has broken his silence over his side’s treatment by critics.

The Glenswilly star slammed those who dished out the dirt to Donegal after their dour display against Dublin in the All Ireland semi-final.

Murphy fumed “It was unfair – nearly bordering on disgraceful some of it.

“I thought after the way we worked all year it was a bit disrespectful.

“But that’s the way people react and to be quite honest it didn’t bother us and it hasn’t bother us.”

Murphy said Dublin played a system game over the past few years but nobody dared slag them off.

But he says he knows Donegal have to, and will, improve next season.

“We know we’re going to have to improve on a lot of things because the semi-final performance wasn’t good enough for us.

“Going out again next year we’re going to have to double out effort,” he admitted.

And he revealed that he can’t wait for the new championship season to start despite the fact that Dublin have just been crowned champions less than a week ago.

“I think form meeting players and people, we’re all dying to grit the teeth and get back into it.

“I suppose it’s going to be second season syndrome, as they say, and it’s going to be hard to replicate 2011. But it won’t be for the lack of effort,” he promised.

from donegaldaily

hes damn right too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

county final on tg4 at 4 tomorrow for anyone who cant make it
    *match at 4, build up from 3.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Well done Glenswilly - deserving champions. Murph is just unreal.
    Hope you are enjoying it Redsoxfan!!

Murphy stepped up today indeed. Well done glenswilly.

Amazing the return you get when a full forward is played .... in at full forward:D

Murphy stepped up today indeed. Well done glenswilly.
    I watched the second half of the game and thought the better team won. It was heavy going by times.
    Amazing the return you get when a full forward is played .... in at full forward:D

This was point exactly earlier in this thread after the Dublin game. He is one of the finest players I have seen but done nothing against Dublin because he was to far from the goal. The goal he scored today was superbly taken. Donegal sacrafised a great chance to reach All Ireland final because of their tactics.

congrats to kilcar too, beating four masters in the senior reserve final 10 to 1-5

Great win for Glenswilly. I know a lot of people for whom it means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Four masters were very down beat after the game. I think they realized that most scores conceded were the result of their own mistakes. Slight touch of over confidence going into the game perhaps. Taking nothing away from Kilcar though who played an excellent game.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Four masters were very down beat after the game. I think they realized that most scores conceded were the result of their own mistakes. Slight touch of over confidence going into the game perhaps. Taking nothing away from Kilcar though who played an excellent game.

To be fair, anyone I know playing senior reserve this year was in agreement that Four Masters were by far and away the best team in Division 1. Not surprised to hear that they may have been overconfident. Tough to lose when that's the case for sure.

So Durcan, McGee, McGlynn, Lacey, Cassidy, Murphy and McFadden all nominated. 3rd in line to Dublin and Kerry which is a tremendous achievement.

I'd say we'll get 2 from Lacey, McGee and Cassidy. All 3 are deserving.

In any case, all our players are All Stars in my eyes this year.

lacey, mcgee and murphy in the international rules team also. only the one dub (cluxton). only other counties with 3 representatives are Cork and Kerry (including Tommy Walsh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

We'll be up against it to retain the Ulster title next year. Have to beat Cavan, Derry and the winners of Tyrone and Armagh just to get to the final!!

Advertisement