Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Probably as tough a draw as we could have got. Cavan were awful this year, but are Ulster Champions at minor and U-21 level. No home games (assuming teams drawn first get home games), at best, if we beat Cavan the rest of our games are neutral, but looks like we'd have to beat Derry, Tyrone/Armagh and possibly Down to retain the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RMDrive wrote: »
    We'll be up against it to retain the Ulster title next year. Have to beat Cavan, Derry and the winners of Tyrone and Armagh just to get to the final!!

Preliminary round again then! Harder route than last year with Derry and possibly Tyrone looking for revenge.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

dont think cavan will be a problem, they were just awful, senior was a step too soon for them. another 2 years though and they will start to be a force. i think derry will be a bigger threat than tyrone or armagh but still:eek:
    then probably down (monaghan?) in the final, it will be well earned;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Couldn't have gotten it much tougher really. If we win Ulster again we will certainly have earned it. I expect we should beat Cavan. I wonder if we managed to regain Ulster would we manage to draw a compliment from The Sunday Game :rolleyes:.

I know its a long way off yet but already looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

overshoot wrote: »
    lacey, mcgee and murphy in the international rules team also. only the one dub (cluxton). only other counties with 3 representatives are Cork and Kerry (including Tommy Walsh)

Kildare have 4. Rob Kelly, Emmet Bolton, Tomas O'Connor and Eamon Callaghan. I thought the pace of this game would have suited more Donegal players. Pace and possesion being key. Ryan Bradley seems very under rated to me?

Reason Dublin have only 1 is the club Championship is only entering round 4 this week and players were put in a position to choose and they rightly in my opinion picked their clubs. Had Donegal championship not been finished I dont think Michael Murphy would be heading down under and miss a semi-final or final with his neighbours, and pals.

Both Brogans, Kevin Nolan, Cian O'Sullivan and I believe Paul Flynn were in the mix. Both Brogans want a first club title, Nolan and O'Sullivan want another crack at All-Ireland and Flynn has few big games with his club in League and Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Probably as tough a draw as we could have got. Cavan were awful this year, but are Ulster Champions at minor and U-21 level. No home games (assuming teams drawn first get home games), at best, if we beat Cavan the rest of our games are neutral, but looks like we'd have to beat Derry, Tyrone/Armagh and possibly Down to retain the title.

According to RTÉ http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1006/football_munster_leinster_connacht_ulster.html if we beat Cavan in the preliminary round we would play Derry in Ballybofey.

henke wrote: »
    According to RTÉ http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1006/football_munster_leinster_connacht_ulster.html if we beat Cavan in the preliminary round we would play Derry in Ballybofey.

So I see. That's something I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

To be fair, anyone I know playing senior reserve this year was in agreement that Four Masters were by far and away the best team in Division 1. Not surprised to hear that they may have been overconfident. Tough to lose when that's the case for sure.

Four Masters getting notions above their stations? NEVER :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Paracore wrote: »
    Four Masters getting notions above their stations? NEVER :eek:
    as someone from the town i wish i could argue with this but iv often heard the lads go we have to at least win x. no talk of getting past a,b,c,d and e first

Great (and dramatic!) win for Glenswilly in Cavan today - Michael Murphy with a penalty in the last minute to win it. Now play the Monaghan Champions (Lattan) after the conclusion of the International Rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Great (and dramatic!) win for Glenswilly in Cavan today - Michael Murphy with a penalty in the last minute to win it. Now play the Monaghan Champions (Lattan) after the conclusion of the International Rules.

Well done to the Glenswilly boys. With Murphy being held scoreless from play it shows that they are far from a one man team.

Have heard that the next round could be next weekend, but MM allowed to join up with the International Rules squad after the game. Will be a 'home' game for Glenswilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lacey called up for the Compromise Rules series today as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Vorenus

Glenswilly v Latton is the 13th November. Fair play to the Ulster council for not making a player choose between his club and his country.

Provisional National League Fixtures 2012 (via Donegal Democrat)

Sat 4th Feb: Down v Donegal

Sun 12 Feb: Donegal v Laois

Sun 4th March: Donegal v Cork

Sun 11th March: Kerry v Donegal

Sun 18th March: Donegal v Mayo

Sat 24th March: Dublin v Donegal

Sun 8th April: Donegal v Armagh

Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

well three all stars not a bad return was only expecting two mcgee, lacey and cassidy, did think mchugh might have got young player but was not meant to be :D

Aye, Cass getting one was a pleasant surprise. McHugh never really has a chance for YPOTY. O'Connor was nailed on for it.

Well done to Neil, Karl and Kevin for the awards and to Paul, Frank, Colm and Michael for getting nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Frank Should have got one.. Mark O'Se?? Fabulous player but not this year..

And well done to Niall Campbell on winning the Nicky Rackard POTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Frank Should have got one.. Mark O'Se?? Fabulous player but not this year..
    i agree about o se but think it was more a case of keeping the numbers right think o carrol from dublin was unlucky not to get in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Donegal GAA posts only please. There are other places to discuss the compromise rules series.

Well this thread is strangely quiet this evening!

Sad to end the year with the Cassidy incident, but rather it happened now than next July and rather it happened for what seems like a relatively minor/trivial incident than the usual stuff.

All very ironic given that if stories are to believed, Jim was heavily involved in courting Cassidy back to the County panel earlier this year.

I refuse to believe that this is the last we'll see of Cassidy until we the first ball is thrown in next June.

If it is the end, by God he's given us some great memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Went to Glenswilly V Latton in Ballybofey today. Ended 00-09 v 00-10 in a close, hard fought match. Glenswilly took an early lead after about 15 minutes at 0-3 to 0-1 but Latton got 3 decent points in a row to make it 0-3 to 0-4 with Swilly grabbing a point in injury time to draw level at half time 0-4 v 0-4. The start of the 2nd was dominated by Latton with a few nice points to take it to 0-4 v 0-7. Swilly did stage a come back in the last 10 minutes, with a goal disallowed and atleast 2 goal chances but Latton held on for a deserved win finishing, 0-9 to 0-10.

Can't name any players, tbh I don't know them really :o but I thought Murphy had an OK game and No. 13 for Swilly was very good, all in all an enjoyable match apart from th end result

IPAM wrote: »
    Went to Glenswilly V Latton in Ballybofey today. Ended 00-09 v 00-10 in a close, hard fought match. Glenswilly took an early lead after about 15 minutes at 0-3 to 0-1 but Latton got 3 decent points in a row to make it 0-3 to 0-4 with Swilly grabbing a point in injury time to draw level at half time 0-4 v 0-4. The start of the 2nd was dominated by Latton with a few nice points to take it to 0-4 v 0-7. Swilly did stage a come back in the last 10 minutes, with a goal disallowed and atleast 2 goal chances but Latton held on for a deserved win finishing, 0-9 to 0-10.

Can't name any players, tbh I don't know them really :o but I thought Murphy had an OK game and No. 13 for Swilly was very good, all in all an enjoyable match apart from th end result

Pretty much well summed up - Thought Neil Gallagher was very good for glenswilly. I did think that the No. 13 (Darren Mc Ginley i think) did give away possession at key times. Ciaran Bonner was subdued today, lost the ball quite a bit too. All in all though an excellent year for Glen.

In closing I think Eoin Lennon is worth mentioning today - had a very good game at midfield for latton today.

Went to Lifford V Muff today. Very good match with Muff coming out on top winning 0-11 v 0-7. Seemed Lifford just couldn't get a handle on the game even when a Muff player was sent off after about 25 minutes with the score
    0-5 v 0-3, Lifford did score the next 2 points but Muff looked as dangerous with 14 as they did with 15

It looked to me that Muff were losing their legs but they drove at Lifford down both wings and got the next 2 points to make it 0-7 v 0-5. Lifford were really working at the passing but seemed to fall short in the last third of the pitch, Muff played to their stengths and ran at Lifford all day making alot of ground. Muff continued to dominate and ran out deserved winners at 0-11 v 0-7.

Both teams were really up for it, if these lads played 10 times you'd probably get a different winner each time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Also big congrat's to Burt who won the Ulster junior hurling final replay today. The first Donegal team to win it I'm told!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

New facebook page to share results from GAA games in the county, if it works out it could be a handy place to find out how games are going any fan with a mobile could post updates and results on it:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Donegal-GAA-Results-and-Updates/249418248448125

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gally87

IPAM wrote: »
    Went to Lifford V Muff today. Very good match with Muff coming out on top winning 0-11 v 0-7. Seemed Lifford just couldn't get a handle on the game even when a Muff player was sent off after about 25 minutes with the score
    0-5 v 0-3, Lifford did score the next 2 points but Muff looked as dangerous with 14 as they did with 15

It looked to me that Muff were losing their legs but they drove at Lifford down both wings and got the next 2 points to make it 0-7 v 0-5. Lifford were really working at the passing but seemed to fall short in the last third of the pitch, Muff played to their stengths and ran at Lifford all day making alot of ground. Muff continued to dominate and ran out deserved winners at 0-11 v 0-7.

Both teams were really up for it, if these lads played 10 times you'd probably get a different winner each time!

Did Damian Diver score much for Muff? A fine player, he wouldn't look out of place in Senior football. He has done the bulk of the scoring for Muff this year from what I can see.

• Advertisement

gally87 wrote: »
    Did Damian Diver score much for Muff? A fine player, he wouldn't look out of place in Senior football. He has done the bulk of the scoring for Muff this year from what I can see.

Not a clue, only know 1 players name n he was playin for Lifford

Advertisement