Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

I see paddy power has opened a market for this

Naomh Conaill 11/4f
    St Michaels 3/1
    St Eunans 5/1
    Glenswilly 15/2
    Kilcar 10/1
    Four masters 11/1
    Gaoth Dobhair, Dungloe 14/1
    Ardara, Glenfin 16/1
    Killybegs 20/1
    Fanad 33/1
    Malin, Bundoran 40/1
    Mac Cumhaills, Cloughaneely 50/1
    St Nauls 150/1

Each way odds 1/3 paying winners and runners up.

I'm in no way affiliated to paddy power, just thought this might be of interest

I think 11/4 is a fair price on Naomh Conaill given their start to this years league, however i think the price on Kilcar(10/1) is massive, I'll be taking a bit of that before their opener this weekend at home to Malin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The 15 best from Donegal over the past 50 years according to the Indo

Seamus Hoare (60s-70s)
    Karl Lacey
    Pauric McShea (60s-70s)
    Barry McGowan
    Brian McEniff (60s-70s)
    Martin Gavigan
    Kevin Cassidy
    Anthony Molloy
    Sean Ferriter (60s-70s)
    Martin Carney (70s)
    Martin McHugh
    Mickey McLoone (60s)
    Tony Boyle
    Michael Murphy
    Manus Boyle

What do ye reckon? I don't know much about any of the fellas from the 60s/70s I'm afraid. Don't think I can argue with too many of the selections from the 1992 and the current teams - JJ Doherty might be unlucky to miss out and I guess I would have given Devenny/Adie Sweeney some consideration.

Early doors for Cavan

Reilly;
    O'Reilly,
    Reilly,
    Flanagan;
    Meehan,
    McCutcheon,
    Maloney-Derham;
    Givney,
    McKiernan;
    Flanagan,
    McKeever,
    Smith;
    Brady,
    Keating,
    Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    The 15 best from Donegal over the past 50 years according to the Indo

Seamus Hoare (60s-70s)
    Karl Lacey
    Pauric McShea (60s-70s)
    Barry McGowan
    Brian McEniff (60s-70s)
    Martin Gavigan
    Kevin Cassidy
    Anthony Molloy
    Sean Ferriter (60s-70s)
    Martin Carney (70s)
    Martin McHugh
    Mickey McLoone (60s)
    Tony Boyle
    Michael Murphy
    Manus Boyle

What do ye reckon? I don't know much about any of the fellas from the 60s/70s I'm afraid. Don't think I can argue with too many of the selections from the 1992 and the current teams - JJ Doherty might be unlucky to miss out and I guess I would have given Devenny/Adie Sweeney some consideration.

Matt Gallagher, Sweeney and Declan Bonner would be big omissions for me but again, I wasn't around for the 60/70's teams, the FF line would be the hardest to pick, Seamus Bonner won 3 Ulster medals in the 70's and 83 as well as FF.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Matt Gallagher, Sweeney and Declan Bonner would be big omissions for me but again, I wasn't around for the 60/70's teams, the FF line would be the hardest to pick, Seamus Bonner won 3 Ulster medals in the 70's and 83 as well as FF.

Yeah, I thought of Matt Gallagher myself. Think JJ was a better footballer, but Matt was maybe more important as he helped address a major weakness that helped us win in '92.

I remember Seamus Bonner now that you mention him - or at least remember talk of him. But, there's really only one Donegal full forward in media consciousness these days. Personally I think the Indo is a tabloid rag and have nothing but contempt for many of their journos, but thought it would be a good idea to post up there selection to see what other people thought.

RTE are NOT showing the Donegal v Cavan game (live game on Sunday is Roscommon v Galway); BBC 2 will have full deferred coverage at 7pm on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Good luck to the Donegal team on Sunday both minors and seniors. Great buzz about again for the championship and it marks the start of summer. We have a great group of players giving their all for the county and we are far from a one man team and i think that will be shown on Sunday. I wouldnt like to be putting too much pressure on young Paddy Mc Breartys shoulders but if he gets a feel of the ball early and just enjoys himself his talent will shine through and have a good day out along with the experience of Mc Fadden along with him up there without Murphy. This will be a good test against a skillfull but inexperienced at this level Cavan side which have a few u-21 All Irelands under their belts but i think our boys will have too much for them and Jim will have the homework done. Seems to be a good crowd travelling down and maybe the tv crews not showing the reigning champions live is encouriging the armchair fan to get down and join in the fun, cant wait:)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

RTE are NOT showing the Donegal v Cavan game (live game on Sunday is Roscommon v Galway); BBC 2 will have full deferred coverage at 7pm on Sunday night.

Unfortunate, I was hoping to catch the game. All the more reason for the boys to win so I can see them in Derry!

RGM wrote: »
    Unfortunate, I was hoping to catch the game. All the more reason for the boys to win so I can see them in Derry!

That game will be in Ballybofey ;)

No surprises in the team named, but don't go wasting your money on a match programme!

• Advertisement

That game will be in Ballybofey ;)

No surprises in the team named, but don't go wasting your money on a match programme!

Wouldn't Derry host though, as higher seed? I swear someone on here told me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wouldn't Derry host though, as higher seed? I swear someone on here told me that.

If that was the case, why would Cavan be at home to Donegal?

fullstop wrote: »
    If that was the case, why would Cavan be at home to Donegal?

Ha, I have no idea how it works. This was the quote:
    Donegal are reigning ulster champions and start against Cavan on May 20th. We should win that (cavan are currently managerless and just avoided relegation from Division 3). On the 16th June we would then play Derry in a repeat of last years final.

I think Derry were drawn first so odds are the game will be in Celtic Park, Derry

But what you're telling me is the match would actually be at MacCumhail Park?

I suppose it'll all be posted and official next week anyway.

But what you're telling me is the match would actually be at MacCumhail Park?

I suppose it'll all be posted and official next week anyway.

It is already official! Saturday June 16 in Ballybofey.

There is no 'seeding' in the Championship.

So, just back from Cavan. A pretty easy win, which is good. Not a great display but I felt that we had another gear to go into if we needed it. Worryingly, Neil McGee had a poor day, hopefully it was just a blip. Ryan Bradley was obviously struggling early on, but I didn't see anyone else pick up an obvious injury. No obvious change in our tactics from last year to be honest.

Btw, good to see the Minors beat the reigning Ulster Champions on Sunday. Some odd decisions from management made the last 10 minutes much more nervous than they needed to be. Sad to see the soccer culture of milking 'injuries' was quite obvious as well.

2 McHughs and a McBrearty on the team, none of these really really stood out - the McHughs look talented for sure, but a lot of development needed I reckon.

Minors back in action against Derry this weekend, for some reason the game is in Omagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

sorry rgm, think this is partly my bad on your visiting thread... though i never brought seeding into it!. everywhere i saw the fixtures it was Derry v Donegal/cavan so i was assuming they were drawn first and would be at home.

cant wait for this, had to completely miss the cavan game finishing the thesis (and turn down a ticket to the hcup final:mad:). havnt got to a game since the dublin game in the league. i have my life back!

overshoot wrote: »
    sorry rgm, think this is partly my bad on your visiting thread... though i never brought seeding into it!. everywhere i saw the fixtures it was Derry v Donegal/cavan so i was assuming they were drawn first and would be at home.

cant wait for this, had to completely miss the cavan game finishing the thesis (and turn down a ticket to the hcup final:mad:). havnt got to a game since the dublin game in the league. i have my life back!

No worries!

I'm sure most of you will have heard, but kinda worrying news on Rory Kavanagh - will have a scan this week to determine how badly his ankle was injured yesterday. Still nearly 3 weeks to Derry, so assuming it's not too bad, hopefully he will make it. If not, at least Christy Toye is fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Is the game on Saturday all-ticket or will I be able to pay at the gate does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gojony

Tickets for the seating, pay at the gate for the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

gojony wrote: »
    Tickets for the seating, pay at the gate for the rest!

Thanks. I heard from someone it was all-ticket. Didn't believe them but thought I better check :)

Aye, pay at the gate for all terraces. Surprised as I thought there would be more demand for this game, but there you go.

Derry team was named last night - Paddy Braddley included, Eoin Bradley is not.

Aye, pay at the gate for all terraces. Surprised as I thought there would be more demand for this game, but there you go.

Derry team was named last night - Paddy Braddley included, Eoin Bradley is not.
    suprised alright there isnt more interest, saw 9k expected, capacity 12,500 (id forgotton 6k had been knocked of that too). pretty poor considering even the cavan game had 12k didnt it and this is a rematch of last years final. looking at a gaa forum though, not too much expectation from the derry side after the league which is somewhat understandable, saw plenty of derry ones saying us by 4-6. if both bradleys get on and murphy doesnt though i think its going to be very tight... with all these doubts its a hard one to call till you see the actual teams. the official line up now may not match tomorrow, whatever 15 K/o, didnt murphy run off after a parade last year? either way they will struggle to contain mcfadden and mcbrearty, a blanket on paddy bradley can get him frustrated quickley, i reckon both (if they appear) will be contained but will still be worth and extra few points to them
    il go with us, by a point or 2 without murphy, 4 with.

Aye, you'd think it would get a full house - but at €25 for the stand and let's face it, not everyone is happy to watch this team, even if they'll support them if we go further (I've no problem with that, each to their own - support at any stage is always welcome), maybe it's not that surprising.

It bothers me that Donegal are such heavy favourites (4/9 without any confirmation of who is fit - especially Murphy) - but I guess it reflects the form of both teams. I don't want to think past Saturday, but we have a really good chance of another Ulster title this year. A lot of football to be played yet however.

What did people make of that display yesterday?

A good performance against a poor team (to me, Cavan looked a better team than Derry). Michael Murphy not fully match fit - looked to be operating around 70%, so more to come from him. A lot of very solid performances and when we upped the intensity in the 2nd half, we were clearly the superior team. Had plenty left in the tank at the end too. Bookies make us favourites for Ulster now. Rightly so I reckon.

yea was shocked by how bad derry were, really expected a bit of bite to the game after last years final but they offered very little.
    thought murphy wasnt match sharp alright but good to get the game under his belt, few nice things from him will be 100% by tyrone no doubt
    think we would have another gear too, the match just lacked intensity, but you can only beat whats infront of you and bar some sloppy stuff early on (allow for weather tho) but tyrone may have punished it. overall quite clinical (which sounded like cavan too) and which was reassuring considering our unpredicatable nature of years gone by. good to see them hasstling up the pitch and not falling back instantly and waiting for the attack.
    david walsh had a great game for me and karl lacey looks well on form too, astonishing fitness clocked him a few times winning the ball, passing it off and running forward after the attack he was back on his man long before a kickout. still running like hell by the end.
    19pts scored 9 conceeded job done, roll on tyrone (done have to miss it this year:))

edit-had been celebrating/working since so only reading reports now, enjoyed hoganstands after all the slagging our defensive play has gotten
    Donegal's defenders were causing Derry's defence all sorts of problems with their forward forays.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

In case anyone is interested, the heroes of 92 take on Finn Harps at Finn Park tonight in a match in aid of three local charities. It's free in although obviously donations are welcomed.

Gary Walsh, Paul Callaghan, Barry McGowan, John Cunningham, Charlie Mulgrew, Martin McHugh, Manus Boyle, Tony Boyle and Joyce McMullan take part on the Donegal side.

More detail here.

So who's for Clones?

Donegal getting a lot of hype at the moment - a bit too much for my liking. Fairly confident about tomorrow I reckon, and I'm sure Jim has the lads focused.

• Advertisement

got to it in between work... literally ran to the car on the final whistle to get home in time... got the full day off though for the big one;), anyone got a bus organised from donegal town... wouldnt mind a few pre match beers for a change!
    was a good game alright and an excellent one to have under the belt. worried though about bits of our defence, they can herd after the ball like an u8s game but more awareness is needed and someone to drop of and actually cut off the close range options. its always possible to get the ball out and tyrone were getting around it placing a man a few meters up the field, so see him or not the man surrounded knew where he had to play the ball. this let them in behind too often.

think it has now placed us as the top ulster team, tyrone had to win to keep that debate open, short odds on the final also been given out but i dont think down are going to be a walkover at all. they may not have rediscovered their form of a few years ago but its a long time since they won a ulster and they are going to be very hungry indeed! finals are never a sure thing

Advertisement