Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mo2012

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can pick up one of those green/yellow chequered flags in Inishowen?
    Tescos where selling decent size green and yellow checkered flags for €2 each if that helps!

Hope a few more people hang up some flags coz some parts of the county look a bit bare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

yeeeeeee fuuuucccckkkkiiiinnnn hhhhaaaaaaa
    better report when im hungover:p

MON DONEGAL

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So wheres the party tonight?

Donegal Abú.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Unreal win today. i have never experienced such a buzz around Croke Park as after the final whistle as today. fantastic team performance. Bring on the final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I said i would drop in and wish ye the best of luck in the All Ireland final 2012. I am heartbroken at the moment as a Cork fan but Donegal are a fine footballing side and you 100% deserve your victory today. This is a great football team and would love to see you going all the way now. Donegal supporters i met today were a credit to the county and i really enjoyed my time with them in Croke Park during and after the game. it was a shame the Cork support in croker today was very poor compared to Donegals. Anyway hopefully it will be 1992 scenes for ye come September. It would be nice to see Sam going around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Whatever else happens this year, yesterday was one of my greatest days as a Donegal supporter of 22 odd years. Absolutely brilliant. What a manager, and what a group of players. I can only imagine the efforts made in training to generate a performance like we saw yesterday - it's phenomenal.

On a sad note, RIP Andew Duffy of Termon who lost his life in tragic circumstances last night.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/donegal-gaa-fan-drowns-in-dublin-canal-after-match-3211107.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Very sad news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

absolutely unreal day/night... team were back in the abbey, had planned to go home early after as id barely slept... well 6 or so is a type of early:D

absolutley fantastic game, the lads ran themselves into the ground and couldnt have done us prouder... wouldnt blame mcgee at all for the goal, had been down twice just before it but he is so good under a high ball i would have left him there if at all possible too.
    murphy finally hit the level we all know he is capable off, had been improving with every game after the injury but he was consistantly brilliant for the game and cork couldnt handle him
    here i could list players for ages... no point couldnt fault one of them and hopefully the talk of the system making us brilliant will be put to bed... there was plenty of individual battles to be won and donegal did that against the what were supposed to be the best 15/20 in the country

only one thing can top yesterday;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i don't think they knew what they were holding up!

218554.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 21,029 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've tipped Donegal for the win this year, however that was a shocking performance from Cork yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Capri Man

Not that shocking - Sometimes a team is only let to a certain extent by the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tipp1986 wrote: »
    Written by a true dub whose career highlight was standing in Hill 16

much more interesting article in today's Indo.

muffler wrote: »
    Written by a true dub whose career highlight was standing in Hill 16

Ha, if ya cant handle people talking about Donegal's unattractive tactics no need to be ratty.

I personally hope Donegal win and will be shouting for them but it's a bit silly not to be able to face up to the fact it's a very different style.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donalabu

aye that coming from the cleanest and most entertaining team in ireland dublin
    (an example to us all I m sure)

tipp1986 wrote: »
    Ha, if ya cant handle people talking about Donegal's unattractive tactics no need to be ratty.
    Ratty? :confused:

I would call it clarifying who the author of the article was by linking to his profile on the same web site. Maybe you meant to say factual ;)

No but what does it matter where he is from i think there is a uniform view on Donegal's tactics.

This is once again coming from someone who will be shouting for Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I don't understand how people could call it unattractive though. If I saw another team playing that way, a team who have done nothing for years, I'd think it was quite enthralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Neeson wrote: »
    I don't understand how people could call it unattractive though. If I saw another team playing that way, a team who have done nothing for years, I'd think it was quite enthralling.

Yeah, I agree. I have been going to Donegal matches for years now and its certainly more entertaining now going to matches and actually knowing that we have a good chance of winning games (Still pinching myself that we are in an All-Ireland Final though:D) by playing "unattractive football" than being repeatedly knocked out by Armagh, Tyrone etc in Ulster and then embarking on a back road campaign.

Same as with football when Netherlands made the world cup final in 2010, there were very few Dutch supporters complaining by their style of play before the final. As with Chelsea winning this years Champions League, few Chelsea fans complained about their style of play after defeating Barcelona and Bayern in semis and final.

The thing is when a team plays "unattractive" football its always the rivals of that team that complains and not the team thats playing that way and inevitably winning the matches.

But thats football you may as well enjoy the highs when they come because we've had plenty of lows this last number of years. Antrim match in Ballybofey and Armagh match in Crossmaglen certainly spring to mind.

So lets enjoy this whilst it lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Sorry to inject this into what's a very interesting discussion, but -

I think I need a new Donegal jersey (one that fits). Does anyone know of any stockists in Dublin? Tried a few places and no joy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,626 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nothing wrong with the football Donegal are playing this year. It reminds me of a lot of soccer teams tactics - great defence and fast counter attack. I find it entertaining anyway.

Have to laugh at the Dubs slagging of donegal last year, did they look at their own formation and blanket defence. I think the media had an anti-Donegal bias and they didn't see any fault in any other team except Donegal.

Ok so Donegal were defensive last year, but that now seems to have been because Jim was working on getting defence sorted. This year he has added attacking play too, and its good to watch, as many neutrals will tell you (just don't ask any Dubs though).

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

NIMAN wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the football Donegal are playing this year. It reminds me of a lot of soccer teams tactics - great defence and fast counter attack. I find it entertaining anyway.

Have to laugh at the Dubs slagging of donegal last year, did they look at their own formation and blanket defence. I think the media had an anti-Donegal bias and they didn't see any fault in any other team except Donegal.

Ok so Donegal were defensive last year, but that now seems to have been because Jim was working on getting defence sorted. This year he has added attacking play too, and its good to watch, as many neutrals will tell you (just don't ask any Dubs though).

To be fair, I think the Cork game won many over. Up until the past couple games, most were just basing their opinion off last year. But now they've had a chance to take another look and I don't think you'll find many who didn't enjoy that last game, including Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capri Man

Anyone know how to beat the Donegal "system". There's always a way round everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

We're not going to do Dublin or Mayo's job for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

sob1467 wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. I have been going to Donegal matches for years now and its certainly more entertaining now going to matches and actually knowing that we have a good chance of winning games (Still pinching myself that we are in an All-Ireland Final though:D) by playing "unattractive football" than being repeatedly knocked out by Armagh, Tyrone etc in Ulster and then embarking on a back road campaign.

Same as with football when Netherlands made the world cup final in 2010, there were very few Dutch supporters complaining by their style of play before the final. As with Chelsea winning this years Champions League, few Chelsea fans complained about their style of play after defeating Barcelona and Bayern in semis and final.

The thing is when a team plays "unattractive" football its always the rivals of that team that complains and not the team thats playing that way and inevitably winning the matches.

But thats football you may as well enjoy the highs when they come because we've had plenty of lows this last number of years. Antrim match in Ballybofey and Armagh match in Crossmaglen certainly spring to mind.

So lets enjoy this whilst it lasts.

I was in a pub in Bulgaria watching the DL v Ck game and everybody was waiting for Donegal to drag the game down rather like last year semi.....after 10 mins, the whole pub was pro Donegal, "unattractive", they all reckoned the way Donegal played, was as good as they had seen all year, that threw unattractive out the window...Wont commit on final result myself, after all, I thought Cork was a bridge too far:o

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Hello people. I'm going to have a little rant.
    Has anyone bought the new Donegal jersey? I bought one about 3 months ago I've worn it to 4 games so far and so it has been washed 4 times. To say I am dissapointed with it would be putting it lightly. You can nearly see through it at this stage. It bobbling like mad and some threads are showing through it. My brother is having a similar experience with his one and I have a friend who has one and his is going the same way and he's only worn his twice. Is anyone else finding the same thing happening?

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Hello people. I'm going to have a little rant.
    Has anyone bought the new Donegal jersey? I bought one about 3 months ago I've worn it to 4 games so far and so it has been washed 4 times. To say I am dissapointed with it would be putting it lightly. You can nearly see through it at this stage. It bobbling like mad and some threads are showing through it. My brother is having a similar experience with his one and I have a friend who has one and his is going the same way and he's only worn his twice. Is anyone else finding the same thing happening?
    There were some "unofficial" tops and other items being sold recently. Maybe it was one of those you got.

I think there may be reference to that further back in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,626 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well I bought the kids box set, with shorts and socks, recently. I assume it was an official product as it came in an Azurri box and looked the part. Also sold in a reputable shop.

He had it on for maybe 4 or 5 hours, and there were about 6 or 7 pulls on the front of it. Very disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

My one is the official. It was bought in a sports shop who is an official merchant to Donegal gaa. Have to say I'm hearing more complaints about them all the time.

Advertisement