Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Looks like the Co. Board have some explaining to do as to why they imposed an additional €5 on the AI tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Jim taking the part time job with Celtic

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/1109/344911-mcguinness-takes-up-celtic-coaching-role/

best of luck to him!
    Donegal football manager Jim McGuinness is set to take up a soccer coaching role at Celtic Academy on a part-time basis.

The Donegal supremo will also remain on in his role with the Tír Chonaill footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

danniemcq wrote: »
    Great move for him and hope it goes well. Hope this will have minimal impact on the great work he has done with the Donegal team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Coaching!?!?

I thought he might have gone maybe as a sports pyscologist. Either way, I wish him well, but hopefully he can fit in his commitments to keep the Ulster Title and Sam as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Its just usual crap rte, he has no badges for a 'coaching' role, from what I understand it is basically psychologist with the youth teams expanding to the seniors if lennon thinks its needed somewhere but atm I'm just basing on news sources id put above rte. Couple of days a week so will remain Donegal boss and come summer the soccer season is even quieter. Worked with harps and derry in the past so has experience in the field too. Best of luck, fully deserving of a pro sports job

• Advertisement

im wondering if 13 a side games dont involved keepers or last man back because the '12 all stars bet the '11 all stars 8-17 to 8-7 :eek: i saw this earlier today but wanted something official to believe it. 6 donegal players played for the '12 side with cassidy in the '11 one. neil gallagher man of the match with 1-2... if i can get a video of this il post it... 16 goals deserves to be checked out!

also see the harps thread for details of a Finn Harps v Donegal Gaa match which should be interesting
    overshoot wrote: »
    linky on the arrow above _____^^

muffler wrote: »
    Looks like the Co. Board have some explaining to do as to why they imposed an additional €5 on the AI tickets.
    So not alone did the county board charge extra for the tickets they appeared to have lied also when asked to explain themselves. Article in the Indo

Takes a little gloss of the fantastic achievement of the team and manager

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

muffler wrote: »
    So not alone did the county board charge extra for the tickets they appeared to have lied also when asked to explain themselves. Article in the Indo

Takes a little gloss of the fantastic achievement of the team and manager

No it doesn't. Not even a little bit.

well squad building definitely hasnt been going the best....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

well squad building definitely hasnt been going the best....
    If this comment is in relation to today's result v Monaghan, then don't worry too much.We'll be grand by the time the Championship comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Are the league matches televised at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

RGM wrote: »

Sorry only saw this now. The Donegal v Tyrone was televised live on TG4 last weekend. Not sure what matches were shown today.

RGM wrote: »

Kildare v Donegal and Donegal v Down were screened live on Setanta
    Tyrone v Donegal was live on TG4
    Cork v Donegal on March 16th also live on Setanta

leedslad wrote: »
    Kildare v Donegal and Donegal v Down were screened live on Setanta
    Tyrone v Donegal was live on TG4
    Cork v Donegal on March 16th also live on Setanta
    id imagine donegal dublin will be on tv too, the dubs have had every game so far televised so assuming the schedules just arent done. mayo too maybe with it being a repeat of the AI final tho they might want the cameras at cork kerry to see the old giants fall (i cant see them surviving at this stage)

missed the game today but ross wherity seems like he could have a good part to play this year. did very well last week and won us a penalty again this week. strong runner, probably put his hand up the highest of anyone outside of the established XV

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

id imagine donegal dublin will be on tv too, the dubs have had every game so far televised so assuming the schedules just arent done. mayo too maybe with it being a repeat of the AI final tho they might want the cameras at cork kerry to see the old giants fall (i cant see them surviving at this stage)

missed the game today but ross wherity seems like he could have a good part to play this year. did very well last week and won us a penalty again this week. strong runner, probably put his hand up the highest of anyone outside of the established XV

I think McGuinness was quoted as mentioning him in the press, Ryan McHugh too, Stephen Griffin is gone out of the panel, and there'll probably be a couple of changes. Really, stay up and find a couple of new additions is about the best you an get from the league. I'm not a fan of going hard for it, especially as we are in Division 1.

The problem this year is Dublin seem to be going hard for it, which has left Donegal and Cork, the 2 other teams a level above, fighting it out with teams looking for survival. We've Cork Away next which will be tough, Mayo who are in a relegation fight and Dublin to come. It could conceivably need 2 wins but 1 will probably do.

When you see how close the Division 2 and 3 are, it shows you the drop down in the level relegation is.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yea shame for stephen, good lad works hard but i think there are one or 2 others that bring a little more to the table than him

on the upside with dublin last they may not need to win against us and field a weakended side, or it could count against and they are going for unbeaten and laying down a marker for the year (for themselves anyway, not that mcguinness will give a crap).... personally i see gavin going for option 2 there, its not the wisest move risking the end to a good run.

down are away to kerry next week a win there could give them a chance and they close out the campaign at home to cork & kildare. i thought they would go down at the start tho and il stand by it! usually 3 wins is enough to avoid relegation. i think we will survive and whichever gets points off kildare from mayo/down could be the difference between them

Mayo v Donegal in Castlebar is TG4 live game this sunday 24th
    http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/gaa-beo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Karl Lacey apparently back running and planning on being back in full training at the end of the month.

The U-21's had a good result last night too with Paddy McBrearty stepping up to the plate in a very impressive way.

Things starting to click into place again.......its beginning to smell a lot like summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

donegal were really poor on sunday

League D1 results from today

Killybegs 1-05 Ardara 1-10
    St Eunans 4-10 Kilcar 0-06
    Glenties 0-07 Four Masters 1-08
    N Mhuire 0-10 McCumhaills 0-09
    Glenswilly 0-15 Buncrana 2-04 (15 points for Michael Murphy!)
    Dungloe 2-09 Glenfin 0-11

dunno if iv posted this before but its hard to beat this page on facebook for scores (yes the above is robbed from it), although at least the official donegal gaa page has come up to scratch on updating intercounty games.

no real shocks but you can say big wins for st eunans and four masters, doubt many would have expected kilcar to take such a beating and always tough to come away from naoimh chonaill with the points... also where would glenswilly be without murphy?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

I see today that there was a public sale (yesterday) of approx 1000 tickets for the game V Tyrone at the end of the month.

I wonder did anyone here manage to buy any of them or even hear about the public sale ?

If so, where did you hear about the public sale as I saw nothing advertising the fact anywhere.

I would be very suspicious of how the word (maybe I should say, lack of word) got out about this sale :mad:

It would be nice if the County Board could clarify this :eek:

^^ not even the head of the county board knew about it by the looks of it.

tyrone have returned 1000 tickets too which are going to the clubs, so much for all their pressing to have it in clones!

line ups out, no shocks
    Donegal Team For Sunday to play Tyrone
    1.Paul Durcan
    2.Paddy McGrath
    3.Neil McGee
    4.Eamon McGee
    5.Anthony Thompson
    6.Karl Lacey
    7.Frank McGlynn
    8.Neil Gallagher
    9.Rory Kavanagh
    10.Mark McHugh
    11.Leo McLoone
    12.Ryan Bradley
    13.Patrick McBrearty
    14.Michael Murphy
    15.Colm McFadden.

anyway so it begins! retaining sam is hard, but sure til last year we had never retained ulster :v

going to be war on sunday tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Great result today even though Lacey and McHugh are still working back to full fitness and considering our midfield went AWOL once the match started. When everything starts to click together later in the summer, we're gonna be very hard to beat.
    Great atmosphere too which was far more intense than I've seen in a while in Ballybofey.

wouldnt say they went awol at the start, but after 15minutes they certainly did for a long time. tyrone were winning a huge amount of breaking ball.

cant beat a full house for atmosphere, the attendance being cut to 12000 was always going to have an effect.

mcbrearty looks like hes going to make another good step up this year, going to be a much feared forward line by the end of the year.
    happy to see wherity get the goal too, was impressed by him in the league

oh and now for an interview with our man of the match, up pops a ginger kerry man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nobody messes with McGee!

blog_oneill_hdr.gif?w=610

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

wouldnt say they went awol at the start, but after 15minutes they certainly did for a long time. tyrone were winning a huge amount of breaking ball.

cant beat a full house for atmosphere, the attendance being cut to 12000 was always going to have an effect.

mcbrearty looks like hes going to make another good step up this year, going to be a much feared forward line by the end of the year.
    happy to see wherity get the goal too, was impressed by him in the league

oh and now for an interview with our man of the match, up pops a ginger kerry man :D

17,500 I think! I do wonder how another few thousand aren't allowed when you look at grounds like Navan and Walsh Park in Waterford, we seem to be very strict on the Health and Safety stuff in Jeremy Clarkson voice, O'Donnell Park is another one that seems artificially limited too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Antho1966

im just finishing watching last weeks sunday game on the rte player.
    mayo will be around in aug/sept but will not win.
    donegal look like winners already but have donegal peaked too soon?

dublin/kildare , kerry/cork and mayo will not have to reach peak till aug/sept.

Donegal were v good today and first half today was prob best Ulster first half in years to watch

• Advertisement

well i thought id try to resurrect the sports threads here, all seem to have died a death.

donegal head for croker again, still the reigning champs but not particularly playing like it. nothing short of a massive step up against mayo will do if we are to make it through. Lacey is back in, i cant see MmcHugh making it despite rory gallagher saying he is over the concussion, still another 2 injuries! still dont think neil gallagher is fit either but his fielding makes him still the best option we have.
    At least there is question marks over a few mayo players fitness also and beyond a close doors "unfriendly" match against monaghan (which monaghan won) they havnt been tested.

there was an improvement in hunger levels in Carrick, hopefully the sight of croker will get the lads back up to last years level... if not well a third game in 14 days may take its toll...

lower cusack & hogan is sold out. the hill was brought online earlier in the week if people are looking for it, i dont think any clubs were given tickets for it.

Advertisement