Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

best of luck to the brick on sunday, class to see him getting his chance, he's gonna be a big talent over the years for donegal football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

Gallagher and Monaghan at mid field. O man thats risky. Marty Clarke and the lads will be running them ragged

delighted for brick, he played his heart out and in my opinion was harshly substituted, it wasnt his fault that the supply wasnt coming in.

I also think it a very unusual decision from the management not to use stepehen griffin and leo mc loone from the bench, griffin is a big scorer week in week out albbeit in a lower division, Mc loone is a strong skillful lad, played and scored a goal in an all ireland final and has championship experience.

well that's my two cents worth, any other opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

We are going nowhere under the current set up. This team conceded 1-27 to Cork last year, lost by 14 points to Armagh in a Divison 2 play-off, and have been beaten at home in the opening round of the Ulster Championship for 2 years running. The glass is very much half empty IMHO. I wasn't encouraged by the U-21s style of football in the final agianst Dublin-they showed the same failings that have dogged the Senior team for years now.

As always, I'll be glad to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    We are going nowhere under the current set up. This team conceded 1-27 to Cork last year, lost by 14 points to Armagh in a Divison 2 play-off, and have been beaten at home in the opening round of the Ulster Championship for 2 years running. The glass is very much half empty IMHO. I wasn't encouraged by the U-21s style of football in the final agianst Dublin-they showed the same failings that have dogged the Senior team for years now.

As always, I'll be glad to be proven wrong.

Beating at home in opening round of USFC for 3 years running , Derry 2008, Antrim 2009 and now Down 2010 ; Fortress Ballybofey lol what a joke !!!!!

• Advertisement

Beating at home in opening round of USFC for 3 years running , Derry 2008, Antrim 2009 and now Down 2010 ; Fortress Ballybofey lol what a joke !!!!!

Yeah, I was only referring to the JJD era, but remember the Derry game only too well.

Yeah, I was only referring to the JJD era, but remember the Derry game only too well.

Yea fair point, just reread your post again and notice "current setup" at the start of it now.

Getting so depressing following Donegal. Why is there never a Plan B (i know some might say there is not even a Plan A), when one thing is not working time to try something else. How many times have we seen it now, Antrim last year, the Cork Game last year Armagh in Letterkenny, and Yesterday. The sideline it just totally clueless.

Last years run in the back door just papered over the cracks.

Getting so depressing following Donegal. Why is there never a Plan B (i know some might say there is not even a Plan A), when one thing is not working time to try something else. How many times have we seen it now, Antrim last year, the Cork Game last year Armagh in Letterkenny, and Yesterday. The sideline it just totally clueless.

Last years run in the back door just papered over the cracks.

I agree 100%-for this reason I'd nearly like to see the Qualifier system scrapped alogether. I'll certainly go along and support the team if I'm around for the Qualifiers, but I know what's coming.

senior championship update.
    Naomh conail victorious in 2nd leg over kilcar by a point. third game required here.
    glenswilly beat glenfin 1-18 to 3-7, michael murphy scores 9 points.
    st eunans thru with a 12 point to 1-7 victory of aodh rua

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Sunday 13th June, 2010
    Division 4
    Naomh Padraig-Muff 1 - 12 v 0 - 6 Convoy
    Division 3
    Carndonagh 0 - 2 v 0 - 8 Naomh Mhuire
    Bundoran 3 - 10 v 3 - 13 Naomh Brid
    Donegal Senior Championship
    Killybegs 0 - 14 v 1 - 7 Ardara
    Malin 0 - 9 v 1 - 6 Four Masters
    Dungloe 1 - 8 v 0 - 7 Termon
    Buncrana 0 - 7 v 2 - 15 Gaoth Dobhair
    Division 3 Reserve
    Carndonagh 2 - 9 v 3 - 4 Naomh Mhuire
    Bundoran 0 - 13 v 0 - 7 Naomh Brid
    Donegal Senior Reserve Football Championship
    Killybegs 0 - 9 v 0 - 10 Ardara
    Buncrana 0 - 3 v 4 - 18 Gaoth Dobhair
    Malin 0 - 6 v 1 - 9 Fourmasters

Qualifiers draw All Ireland
    Wexford v London

Carlow v Derry

Kildare v Antrim

Offaly v Clare

Mayo v Longford

Armagh v Donegal

Cavan v Wicklow

Tipperary v Laois/Meath

Ties to played on Saturday, 26 June. Times and venues to be confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Armagh :(
    Here endeth the summer me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

docmartin wrote: »
    senior championship update.
    Naomh conail victorious in 2nd leg over kilcar by a point. third game required here.
    glenswilly beat glenfin 1-18 to 3-7, michael murphy scores 9 points.
    st eunans thru with a 12 point to 1-7 victory of aodh rua

Does anyone know when the third game between N Conaill and Kilcar is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Glenman wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the third game between N Conaill and Kilcar is on?

It all depends on how the county team get on as if they win on Saturday they will be playing the next round shortly after so we will have to wait and see!

Anyone here know where the GAA ground is in Crossmaglen as I'm heading over on Saturday and have never been in the area before?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Right beside the old British army barracks. :D

Just go to Crossmaglen and you can't miss it. The best route would be via Monaghan - Castleblaney and head for Dundalk. Turn left in Cullaville and it's not too far from there.

You all might find this useful for future reference.

http://www.milford.limerick.gaa.ie/gaaclubmap.html

This is a link to a google map of nearly all clubs in ireland.

Well what a waste of a day traveling 3 hours each way to that heap of crap a joke and a embarrassment of a side and dont get me started about McFadden I never want this man playing for my county after what he got up to today and that's for starters:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The team seemed to be on a downward spiral for a while now but a change of manage can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

McGuinness probably the front runner, I would have thought?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

A change of attitude is needed much more than a change of manager. They console themselves after every big defeat by getting absolutely hammered on a three day drinking binge about quiet pubs in the north of the county and defeat doesn't hurt them enough.
    The back door system hasn't helped either as club football has gone to the dogs since it started and we see that in the fact that Eunans are a country mile the best team in the county and they are woeful and take a tanking in Ulster every time they reach that.
    Too much emphasis on fitness and not enough shooting practice and running with the ball skills practice keeping it simple. The womens team score better points than the mens and thats no joke.
    Jim Mc Guinness will of course be favourite for the job after getting the u-21's to the All Ireland final and the stand out thing with him is the obvious respect those young lads had for him. They hung on his every word and done what he said and Jim has a degree in sports psychology but people must remember that that team also overkilled on the fist pass over and back the field muck that the senior team does also....
    The talent is there and the centre of excellence experiment a few years back had players like Lacey and Murphy and Seamus Coleman so things like that should be kept up

Back to club action this weekend:
    Donegal Senior Championship Play-offs
    Saturday 03 July @ 7pm in Tir Chonaill Park, Donegal Town
    Chill Chartha v Naomh Conaill
    Ref: Paddy McBride

Sunday 04 July @ 3pm in Pairc na nGaeil, Glencolmcille
    Ardara v Killybegs
    Ref: Kieran McShea

Glenties 2-11 kilcar 0-8
    Kilcar missed the boat not getting a draw in the last game out with a missed free at the death and got well beat tonight in Donegal town

Killybegs beat Ardara today-bit if of a surprise?

This is the same team that wanted to play Intermediate this year?

At the same time, we have MacCumhaills (who wanted to play Senior) get beaten by Urris in the Intermediate Championship.

Didn't both Killybegs and MacCumhaills delay the start of the Championship with their objections?

I use '?' because I can't be sure of the facts-would be interested if others can comment.

Don't know where you got that information? Must be someone got their wires crossed as Killybegs played in an Ulster intermediate competition early this year instead of playing meaningless friendlies and won it. They objected to the fixtures being set up on the same weekend as the opening of thier new field. As for being a shock definately not as they should of won all three games. Ardara had alot of injuries and suspensions and are very average. There was a huge wind in Glen today and Killybegs made the most of it while Ardara had alot of wides and went for goals when points would of done.

The bottom line is that club football in Donegal has gone to the dogs and anyone who saw the reserve game in Glen today would of seen a 45 year old Manus Boyle score 1-7 which was all of Killybegs scores as they lost 1-7 to 11. Taking a hand of the young fellas he was marking and the best player on the Killybegs team. Nothing coming through..

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that information? Must be someone got their wires crossed as Killybegs played in an Ulster intermediate competition early this year instead of playing meaningless friendlies and won it.

Some talk of it in posts 53 and 54 of this thread-I honestly can't remember my source-probably one of the local papers.

I hear what you are saying about the club scene in general though. Martin McHugh has been saying the same for a while. Would a regional style championship work in Donegal-like they have in Kerry and maybe Cork as well?

Na that's what happened, the fixture comitee set up games for the same weekend as the Killybegs club were opening up their new pitch and developement and had Christy Cooney invited and all at that stage and their was a bit of a heated exchange shall we say lol at the meeting. Killybegs enetered that Ulster competition and it was a great success with them lifting the trophy in Ballybofey back in January to get the boys a bit of interest and a buzz going in preparation for the championship.

As for the state of club football the bottom line is INTEREST. Just taking one example was yesterday the Killybegs reserve team which has a few good young lads on it playing along with the likes of Manus got beat by one point in the third game and are now out of the championship and thats it now for them. The training will probably stop if they don't get the numbers and the interest is gone. Internet and rock festivals and world cups take centre stage. It's no coincidence that Glen and Kilcar and Killybegs all had the great teams of the 80's and 90's all peak at the same time together because the interest was there and the rivalry and buzz helped all grow together. Killybegs alone have some great players not available due to soccer and Australia and America life.

It's gotta be a grassroots thing. We've got to start at the national schools and then the secondary schools and i'd even go so far as to say no competitive football for anyone under the age of thirteen just play for fun up to that no losers. And we need football consistently over the summer and not this waiting around not knowing when to play because the county team are still in the championship and wont release players causing everyone to lose interest fans and players alike. Right now it's a toss up between the J1 visa and one big championship game for an entire summer for most young lads and there is only one winner there

Was at the Glenswilly v Gweedore game on Saturday. Glenswilly ran out easy enough winners in a poor enough game.

Heard that Four Masters have beaten St. Eunan's-anyone on here at the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Heard that Four Masters have beaten St. Eunan's-anyone on here at the game?

Did they?

It's a surprise in that they haven't lived up to the potential that is there, but not when you look at some of the players they have. Livens things up a bit anyway!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement