Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to unblock a shower

• 18-01-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

Recently my shower has blocked up and the tray is nearly full. Previously the tray has been slow to empty but a shot of Mr Muscle Drain Cleaner normally sorted it out.
    The drain had been getting slow again during the freezing weather and my wife put a mix of water and caustic soda down the plug hole but didn't wash it through with boiling water as per instructions. Next day the tray filled and wouldn't empty. I have removed the grid of the plug hole and have found a flat plastic bar in the centre of the pipe. It's like some sort of built-in trap? I think I need to remove it to get a rod down the pipe and clear the blockage but can't manage to get this trap (or filter) out. If anyone had any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them!

Thanks

Sunamd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It will come out of the trap with half a turn

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

you could try a plunger.
    i would try to get caustic out of the pipe, as it will eat it over a period of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

You can lift off shower trap grating and remove some of the shower trap internals, hairs and all kinds build up inside shower trap, inside shower trap their should be a plastic object design to catch any hairs that have entered trap, if you can lift off grating you might see a build up, lift out anything that can be lifted out and clean it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Never use caustic soda in a shower. It is not necessary and extreamly dangerous. Many of the shower trays are actually acrylic capped and it will corrode or disscolour if washed up.

Now having said that if your easy and careful you will get away with it.

What you usually do with the traps is pop the top off and clean whay you can see, This is usually sufficent. If you need to go further you quarter turn that peice of plastic that looks like a bar and it comes out.

It never looks nice in the shower but a family member with lots of girls got one of these big rubber stoppers that sits over the waste hole. The name eludes me now but you know the one. It is usually red.

This has reduced the amount of cleaning in the trap that has to be done. But around the waste needs to be cleaned.

You will not get any rod down that trap the best you will get is the flexiable wire HOWEVER. as most shower tray wastes are heading off in directions we will never visit I would avoid the wire as well becuase if there is a blockage and the head of the wire gets stuck the only method of removal is brut force...and we always loose on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I use this stuff a lot and it's great for clearing drains.
    Power plumber drain cleaner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Advertisement