Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death Smiles

• 18-01-2010 11:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just read on Kotaku that the wonderful schmup Death Smiles is getting released on XBLA in America. This was one of my favourite Japanese arcade games, and if an arcade didn't have Taiko no Tatsujin, this or its sequel was often my second choice.

Basically just a fun game that isn't quite bullet hell but there are still a lot of projectiles out to kill you. I'm hoping this makes the trip over here (no reason why it shouldn't, with the joys of digital distribution), and I have a Hori Ex2 ready for it :)

Anyone else played it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Have not played it but it looks nice, was it just Arcade originally?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CCCP^ wrote: »

I couldn't tell you, but there was a significant retail presence for the game on Xbox 360 - well, as much as an Xbox 360 game can have a retail presence in Japan (read: nowhere near as much as Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest!) :pac: I would've picked it up, but didn't know if it was region free (I think Play-Asia has it listed as not region free).

It does look astonishing (very strange anime art style, which is always welcome), although I think I was mostly playing the sequel. It just seems like the kind of game that should be released given the rise of digital distribution. Treasure and others seem to be using it well already, so I personally think it is a good opportunity for obscure schmup developers like Cave to reach their niche market, since it would clearly not be cost effective for a full scale retail release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »

Yeah it's a Cave arcade shooter. Not something you'd See in Dr. Quirkys unfortunately though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah it's a Cave arcade shooter. Not something you'd See in Dr. Quirkys unfortunately though :(

If I saw a Death Smiles machine in Quirkeys, I would track down the good doctor and shake his hand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hmmm looks interesting... What hardware was this released on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LoGiE wrote: »
    Hmmm looks interesting... What hardware was this released on?

I would imagine a very expensive Cave PCB.

Wiki says CAVE CV1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

Its on xbox 360 logie

as a arcade board its just jamma but still quite expensive ,released 2 years ago if i remeber correctly already has a sequel though .awesome game imo you can already get it for jap 360 ,yes region locked and now its getting a us release (locked again)poor europe again !
    In most cases play-asia will say it locked to a region untill its released to 100% confirm or if the developers announce that its not locked teghy will update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I really hope the US release is region free.It looks like a realy good game and a bit different to Cave's other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

blag wrote: »
    I really hope the US release is region free.It looks like a realy good game and a bit different to Cave's other games.

not a hope of it mate !:mad: its already confirmed as been region locked !

Advertisement