Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sausages for babies??

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

So food has become more and more confusing for me since my son was born!!

A lot of my friends give their children sausage, my son is eight months and I have been using the annabel karmel book as reference. It has nothing about sausage. I would have thought they would be quite bad as they're high in salt and gennerally "low grade" meat.

If anyone has any advice i'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Disclaimer: I dont have kids yet but hopefully soon ;)

I cant see a major problem. Just make sure they are cooled through out before feeding.

That said, there are so many other things you can give him from pasta, rice, mash potatos etc. He will be eating sausages long enough, I would suggest you introduce him to world cuisine, while he doesnt have a choice.

My 2 cents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

supermum you're right, sausages are low grade meat and quite salty, people probably just feed them to their babies at that age because they're smushy and soft and easy to get babies used to eating proper food. There are obviously good quality ones out there too but as syklops said there are so many foods out there, best to avoid the crap and introduce to him good food while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

thanks guys, that's what I thought.

I make all his food myself and he eats better than me and my husband!!
    I didn't want to spoil any of that!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Not suitable for babies really. You are not supposed to be giving them highly processed foods at that age. I heard once that adults should not eat any food with more than 4 ingredients. Id use the same rule with babies in terms of processed foods you would buy. That would obviously not include the A.Carmel recipes which you have cooked yourself and you know exactly whats in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Sausages are so bad for the colon. Not great for adults,terrible for babies.

• Advertisement

All the delicious things are so bad for us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

it's your child so you decide whats right or wrong. if you do decide to give him some then make sure that when you chop it up not to leave them rounded as they'll get stuck in the childs throat, half or quarter them again. how about making some home-made vegetarian sausages? my daughter loves them and on the plus side i know exactly whats in them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anyone I know with kids give them sausages. Not 5 days a week, mind, just as a nice nibble sometimes.

I usually cut the skins off (must try skinless) so there's no sticking in their throat and upchucking. Them just love 'em - as do I!

it's your child so you decide whats right or wrong. if you do decide to give him some then make sure that when you chop it up not to leave them rounded as they'll get stuck in the childs throat, half or quarter them again. how about making some home-made vegetarian sausages? my daughter loves them and on the plus side i know exactly whats in them.
    ]

i'd love to try that! do you have a recipie?

Most kids would occasionally have a sausage, but I think 8 months old is too young (just my opinion).

To be perfectly honest, it's probably best that you avoid giving this type of food to your child ever, but then, it's best for adults to avoid that sort of stuff too and we don't (most of us!). Just bear in mind that they are super high in saturated fat, high in salt, and processed so keep it to a minimum. You often hear of parents saying "he won't eat anything except chicken nuggets or sausages" but how would a kid know they like them if they're not given them!!

Personally, my child loves sausages, but she has a very balanced healthy diet and that's the most important thing, as long as you're not giving them to your kid too often then I can't see the harm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement