Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water on car floor

• 19-01-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have a vw passat car 2003 and for some reason water is getting in on to the car floor. its not happening every time it rains and i have no idea how its getting in. the first time it happened the water was on the drivers side, and only recently it was on the passengers side in the back(underneath the seat)the front was dry. Anyone any ideas. :confused: Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your pollen filter housing is not correctly fitted. Have you had a service recently?

Common problem on a Passat of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

`Had a service 7-8 months ago. You think i need to get the pollen filter housing checked.(dont know anything about cars)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Check your door seals as well.
    I got mine replace on my 2002 Seat Leon and it fixed the problem of water in the passenger footwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

get it checked out as soon as possible,don't wait around. A garage will fix it fairly cheap.
    If it goes on to long it will cost alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

9 out of 10 times, water in the passenger side footwells in a Passat is due to water ingress from the pollen filter housing. Very occasionally, water ingress can be attributed to blocked drainage channels in the plenum chamber. Any other cause of water ingress is exceptionally rare. Water flows down - not up. Check your door seals for tears just to be sure. However, as you have encountered water on both sides of the car it would be worth checking the plenum chamber drains. The plenum chamber is the area where the wiper mechanism is housed - just in front of the windscreen under a plastic cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

There is a hole underneath the battery that gets blocked with leaves. You will have to remove the battery and the metal plate it sits on and unblock it.
    It could also be coming in from behind the door cards.

It's more than likely coming in under the battery when it's on both sides of the car.

(sorry, just saw post above so +1 to that post)

it is quite common though and can lead to water in the brake servo which could cause the brakes to get very hard to press!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

If your car is parked near the sea or in a strong breeze the wind tends to blow the rain passed the seals, it can be very difficult to pinpoint the exact area where the water is getting into the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Another area to get checked if the water is secifically onlyaffecting the rear foot well. Is the inner membranes of the rear doors.
    I have seen this problem on BMWs & a Ford Mondeo myself. When you remove the rear door inner panel you will see a plastic or thin string foam like cover, this is the membrane. What can happen over time is the edge of the membrane can come undtuck from the door, particularly at the bottom. What happens then is water can trickle down the inside of the membrane & flow in to the car between the door & the inner door panel.
    The water hits the window & flows down into the inside of the door, a sealed membrane will cause the water to flow out the drain holes at the bottom of the door. The problem can be worsened depending on which way the car is parked in relation to the direction of the rain.
    If there is no water in the front foot wells then This would be my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will investigate at the week-end, and if no joy i may book her in. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

I would have a good look ,the only reason I said get it checked out ASAP is because it's a know problem that when the water gets into the car the central convenience computer get's water damage!! It controls the door locks ,lights etc.. They say the first sign of it going is when you open the doors and the interior lights don't come on..... hope you find the leak...best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

japbyrne wrote: »
    I have a vw passat car 2003 and for some reason water is getting in on to the car floor..

Same thing with my Dads 00/01 passat. Don't think he has solved it either.

Advertisement