Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark spots on Semi-solid floor

• 19-01-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Please help,

We have just renovated our house. We installed underfloor heating (which is run off the hot water from the gas boilder) and lay a walnut semi-solid floor on top.

The floor (30metre sq) is down 4 months approx and I have noticed that 3 dark spots have appeared on the semi-solid floor.

I am really worried that the underfloor is leaking. I have checked the pressure gauges on the underfloor heating and they are the same as the day it was installed so I'm hoping that if there was a leak the pressure gauge would show a reduction?

Can anyone please tell me what this could be?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Had this problem on a job before, the shape of underfloor pipe comes out through wood, after time you'll see many lines and loops stain through wood.

Homeowner and builder were adamant heating (underfloor) was leaking, tested heating system so many times to prove no leaks and they still kept at me, even went to solicitors, someone came out to take a moisture reading of floor and read moisture in floor (wood). Builder and homeowner even hired another plumber as they didn't believe when I said system had no leaks.

The other hired plumber couldn't find any leaks either so builder had no choice but to take up floor, after floor came up it was fairly obvious why boards were stained. After breaking out concrete around areas of dampness builder never laid down a membrane under insulation, not sure if heat drew water up or what but stains were down to no waterproof membrane across entire floor.

I'm sure you already know, wooden floors have to have certain figure of moisture content before laying over underfloor, you say semi solid floor so maybe that's not to do with your floor, worth checking up on, safe for underfloor use is normally written on floor packaging these days.

Best of luck, have underfloor pressure tested either way before taking up floors.

Advertisement