Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejoining the British Commonwealth

Options
  • 19-01-2010 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I am 29 years old born in Dublin form Kerry and Cork parents and know all about what the Brits did to us in the past.

But feck it, lets look forward. It is the distant past, and we cannot brood in it forever. I don't believe that a tiny country like ours can survive in the modern world without joining into a bigger partnership.

This country is being run by bog men and numpties- I'm ashamed of our Prime minister and Fianna fail.

The British are our closest ally right now (that is a fact
    ). We need a strong partnership.

Is it not about time we put the past behind us and rejoin the Commonwealth? We do not have any closer friend right now than the British, and that is a fact!

We are vulnerable to military attack. It is sad for me, as a 29 year old to see this. We are not capable of looking after ourselves. Its obvious to everyone. We need support. The republic has failed.

Only sensible comments please

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I don't believe that a tiny country like ours can survive in the modern world without joining into a bigger partnership.

I agree.

Which is why I supported the Lisbon Treaty.

(for honesty's sake, I voted against it the first time round)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

I am 29 years old born in Dublin form Kerry and Cork parents and know all about what the Brits did to us in the past. But feck it, lets look forward. It is the past, and we cannot brood in it forever. I don't believe that a tiny country like ours can survive in the modern world without joining into a bigger partnership.

). Is it not about time we put the past behind us and rejoin the Commonwealth? We do not have any closer friend right now than the British, and that is a fact!

Yeh do realise we're part of the EU, ye?
    We are vulnerable to economic and military attack.

Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

I'm ashamed of our Prime minister
    :eek:

Back to the topic, I dont really know what the commonwealth is all about, what are the benefits to its members? What would it do for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fabhcungorm

Didn't we nearly burn our bridges with the EU? We had to have a huge global economic crisis to persuade the Irish to rejoin(cos we wud have been kicked out if we voted no again)

The Irish are naive, maybe because , deep down we know the Brits will always bail us out. Simply because it is in the UK's best interest to close their back door.

We'd do well to make the best of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I am 29 years old born in Dublin form Kerry and Cork parents and know all about what the Brits did to us in the past. But feck it, lets look forward. It is the past, and we cannot brood in it forever. I don't believe that a tiny country like ours can survive in the modern world without joining into a bigger partnership.

This country is being run by bog men, numpties- I'm ashamed of our Prime minister and Fianna fail.

). Is it not about time we put the past behind us and rejoin the Commonwealth? We do not have any closer friend right now than the British, and that is a fact!

We are vulnerable to economic and military attack. It is sad for me, as a 29 year old to see this. We are not capable of looking after ourselves. Its obvious to everyone. We need support. The republic has failed.

Only sensible comments please

Thank you

yes, we could do well in an alliance with jamaica, the virgin islands, the cook islands, belize and so on...:rolleyes:
    although we'd still be crap at the games..

seriously though, you should read john o'farrell's second book about the history of the uk. it deals with the time from the second world war to the present. the uk was close to failing itself so had to join the e.e.c. the commonwealth is nothing more than a show piece in this day and age. what honest benefit would we get out of it??

I was thinking of Canada, Australia, India and New Zealand...to be fair

Another point, - Rejoining the British Commonwealth would also ease the path greatly to a United Ireland.

I think that in itself is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Hah Ireland is not vulnerable to military attack! Who the hell would want to attack Ireland?

I was thinking of Canada, Australia, India and New Zealand...to be fair

Another point, - Rejoining the British Commonwealth would also ease the path greatly to a United Ireland.

I think that in itself is worth it.

don't think it would be that easy! although in that book i read, dev had a deal offered that if ireland took the allied side in WW2, then churchill would've pulled out of norn iron. dev just didn't trust him on it.
    but are you saying that to get the united ireland that generations have strived for, we should go back to what we had before the act of union, ie grattan's parliament or the like? where the mp's still swear allegiance to the monarchy? or do we just rejoin the commonwealth, get a united ireland and then leave the next day as a republic??
    as for the countries, the EU is the major player now, with the US, China and India, we do all the bargaining through them. the UK does the same bargaining.

don't think it would be that easy! although in that book i read, dev had a deal offered that if ireland took the allied side in WW2, then churchill would've pulled out of norn iron. dev just didn't trust him on it.
    but are you saying that to get the united ireland that generations have strived for, we should go back to what we had before the act of union, ie grattan's parliament or the like? where the mp's still swear allegiance to the monarchy? or do we just rejoin the commonwealth, get a united ireland and then leave the next day as a republic??
    as for the countries, the EU is the major player now, with the US, China and India, we do all the bargaining through them. the UK does the same bargaining.

Well to be honest I wasn't thinking about Dev and the past. (There were big mistakes made there)

I was thinking about how Ulster Unionists could agree with Ulster Nationalists on a compromise

Is it really so hard??

• Advertisement

Well to be honest I wasn't thinking about Dev and the past. (There were big mistakes made there)

I was thinking about how Ulster Unionists could agree with Ulster Nationalists on a compromise

Is it really so hard??

yes. they still haven't agreed on how to fully share power in the statelet yet. try getting them to agree on an island wide solution would be like pissing in the wind. unless the agreement is "right lads, let's go home to scotland, we've been here long enough."

Maybe the problem here is that they have been listening to un-educated numpties like yourself for the last 25years and decent Irish men and women's opinions were kept to one side.

yeah whatever. attack the post. the last 25 years you say? that goes back to '85?? troubles were well underway at that stage. but as for the opinions of the decent people, well, that's what voting is all about. the voted for the MLAs that are there now to speak on their behalf. and they still haven't agreed. and the stories of the last few weeks have only strengthened the voice of the more hardline parties. so before you start calling people numpties, think before you start a ridiculous thread with ridiculous statements to back it up.
    no, we would not be better off in the commonwealth, there are other groups such as the EU which do a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

glaston wrote: »
    Back to the topic, I dont really know what the commonwealth is all about, what are the benefits to its members? What would it do for us?
    Me too neither. We could play in the CW games maybe? :pac:
    Wouldn't we have to shoot our president and renounce our status as a republic? Weren't the Brits a bit peeved when we created the republic in 37 as the queen (or king) of England were still head of state up to that point? Or have I got this all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This thread is going nowhere productive and the OP's aimed insults at users. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement