Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Field Gates

• 19-01-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

How much and what sizes do standard, galvanised field gates come in?

Any specific type recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

You can get them literally in any size from around 3 or 4 feet to (I think) 18 feet. My policy at home is a minimum of 12 feet width if I have a straight, unobstructed run at each side of the gate and a 16 foot minimum if not. Machinery isn't getting smaller (and drivers aren't getting more careful!), so make them wide enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

How much and what sizes do standard, galvanised field gates come in?

Any specific type recommended?

I would reccomend a gate the size of your gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Minimum 12 ft wide, knock the gap if you have to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Minimum 12 ft wide, knock the gap if you have to!!

I would suggest a minimum of 14ft and pref 16ft. If you go too small there is a good chance that some fella might knock it for you at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

Our co-op sells heavy and light duty, if its for a yard then heavy duty is the only way, also if its for a gap you could go for two gates, o donovans engineering in coachford cork sell latches for 2 gates for lock into each other, if its a gap id hang off a rail and use bull nose type gate clamps because they can be taken off easy enough and there cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Go with a good wide gate. At least 12 foot and go larger if silage gear will be going through it - probably around 16foot. Might be a little more expensive when buying the gate but its a pain in the arse watching out for gate posts all the time! An extra foot or two can make a fierce difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Hemlet

I work in a co-op and they come in standard sizes up to 18ft.

Either Heavy or Medium Galvanized.

But they can be made to order from our supplier Fox's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

motorman wrote: »
    I would reccomend a gate the size of your gap.

I can widen the gap so length is a consideration

Thanks for the info guys .... reckon a 14' to 16' size will suit.

Time to go digging .... :-)

Advertisement