Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for a J1 outside of Ireland ?

• 19-01-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm Living in Canada this year on exchange with college and since i'm already in North America (and have done a lot of travelling within Canada already) was thinking of applying for a J1 to work in the US. As far as i can tell because I can't get back to Ireland for the embassy interview i'm going to have to apply through the US embassy in Canada. Over Christmas the people selling J1's said they had heard of students doing this but had no idea of how they did it or if they were successful at the interview stage...not that helpful really !

Has anybody (or have friends) tried to do this successfully or unsuccessfully or have any experience or info on this topic ? Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 readytotravel

miccla wrote: »
    I'm Living in Canada this year on exchange with college and since i'm already in North America (and have done a lot of travelling within Canada already) was thinking of applying for a J1 to work in the US. As far as i can tell because I can't get back to Ireland for the embassy interview i'm going to have to apply through the US embassy in Canada. Over Christmas the people selling J1's said they had heard of students doing this but had no idea of how they did it or if they were successful at the interview stage...not that helpful really !

Has anybody (or have friends) tried to do this successfully or unsuccessfully or have any experience or info on this topic ? Thanks !
    sorry off the topic but what city do you live in and how do u like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It depends on Canada's rules for this. Its possible in Ireland. Try find a host in Canada for visas and they should state that you must be a full-time student in Canada (either a citizen or non-citizen) and you can get one there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 miccla

So i did some digging and it looks like I should be able to apply here as long as long as i provide "adequate paperwork"...

At the moment im in Kingston ON and it's been great so far !

thanks for the replys guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'd say you should be able to apply through the Irish system and then just do the interview in the Embassy in Canada instead of Ireland. But I don't think you'll be applying through Canadian sponsors.

You're an Irish citizen and Ireland is your country of permanent residence, they don't know (or care) where you are right now, the only time it'll come up is when you have to do the interview, so check if you can do that at the US embassy in Canada and then they can issue your visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

My two nonirish friends had to go through the Irish system last year because they were studying there

• Advertisement
Advertisement