Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PokerTalk.ie Virus Alert PM

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Thanks to kakak1, it's been brought to my attention that there was a message sent via the PokerTalk.ie forum by the user "AdminLady" claiming to have found a virus on your computer.
    Dear, <usernames>
    A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
    We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately:
    http://spamlink
    Sincerely, Forum Administration www.pokertalk.ie.

The message was sent to a total of 35 users and the spamlink appears to direct to an affiliate site inviting you to purchase some anti-virus software. I have purged the message from the database meaning it no longer shows up in the inboxes of those that received it but those who opted to receive email notifications of PMs have the contents of the PM copied into the emails. To anyone who received the email, I'd advise you delete it straight away and not click on any links.

As a precaution, I've removed PM privileges from the site which will prevent any spambots from sending such messages out in the future. As a general rule of thumb, administrators of forums will never send out such private messages and it's advisable that if you receive any such messages that you report them straight away.

Adam

Advertisement