Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't smoke :)

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

So, I quit smoking yesterday at around noon. So yesterday was the warm up, and today has been my first full day smoke free. :)

Smoking since about 13/14, 22 now. About 15-20 Marlboro Lights a day.

I've never really made it more than 1 or 2 days, but I'm feeling very positive about it this time.

The craving this morning were pretty bad, nearly bought a pack on the way to the train station... Felt very light headed/dizzy over the course of the day, but didn't cave! But Jesus Danger Christ, Im getting the cravings every 20 mins or so (Or seems like it!) I would shoot myself in the foot for a smoke right now.

I reckon the next few days will get even tougher. Wish me luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

When you feel those cravings... just remember they'll go away in a few minutes, grit it out. and hang in there.

you've read these threads, it really does get easier!

Hang in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Stick with it. Trust me - Day 3 is the hardest. You would gnaw off an arm or sell your first born just for one drag. But hang in there - it really does get easier after day 3. Buy a net of oranges - easy peelers. When you get an urge grab one and start peeling - by the time you're finished the craving will have passed. Then you can eat a lovely health orange instead. Well all feel your pain here - it ain't easy - but it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I agree about Day 3 then it will only get easier.

I nearly lost the will to live my cravings got so bad, there were regular scenes reminiscent of Trainspotting with demonic babies crawling across the ceiling.

BUT: regular sips of water and fruit juice helped and every time I got a craving (this little trick really really helped) I'd play a little game whereby I went through vegetables that corresponded with letters of the alphabet. So A for artichoke, B for beetroot.

Do it with countries, celebrities, cars....you name it. I guarantee you will never get past J or K as your craving will have passed.

I'm smoke free six months now and it's the best thing I ever did. It has changed my life (I was a really committed 30 a day smoker) for the better and it will for you too.

Read this too www.whyquit.com

Don't succumb, PM me if you want. You can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Cheers guys. Nothing worth doing is ever easy I suppose.

Not as bad as I thought today, although I did have a hard time getting to sleep last night.

Luckily the two guys in the office I mostly smoke with were out today, and tomorrow too I think.

Oh, and Macross, I had a look at that couch to 5K. Might throw on the running shoes this weekend with my Dad, he just started back running too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Yeah, with doubt get past day three and you will be over the worst of the physical stuff, the rest is psyche and this can be worse than the physical for some ( I include me in that!). I found that physical exercise was my substitute. Nothing too strenuous initially so I opted for walking. I had been fairly sedentary for the last few years and this was a whole new challenge in itself!
    Man, was I out of condition, years of smoking had completely sapped my stamina to the point that more than two km was a killer.
    I used this to increase my resolve to stay of the smokes, I bought a pedometer to measure my progress and started walking everyday, gradually increasing my distance or steps.
    It is amazing the difference six months have made, I can now walk an average fifteen kms a day without raising a sweat.
    So IMHO if you can hack the running go for it, not only will it be an excellent diversion- it will help expediate clearing the crap from your lungs and go some way to reversing the damage the smoking has caused,
    Good luck with your quit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Yea good on ye, day 3 is tough and you will if like me get spikes of cravings every now and then, try the running, excercise is great for taking the edge off the cravings.
    Fair play Im off now for 3 weeks and feeling much better, I will say however I've been at this stage before I have found 3 months to be my achillies heal and oh the drink.... once i touch one I want a cig..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Good work dude, remember it get's much easier after the first few days. Try to get plenty of fresh air and excercise, drink lots of water and try to find something you can become engrossed in for the next few days - computer games worked for me, but others have mentioned things like DIY and gardening. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Fair play...if you can go 2-3 days, you're a non smoker :)

Dont think backwards....think forewards. Dont keep count how many days/hours/mins your off them....the more you dwell on that kind of thinking, the more that little bug stays in your mind.

Dont set targets or rewards...all your doing is holding yourself back.

All that cravings and aches and pains is in your head...
    They are so mild just count to 10 and its gone ;)

Get off the smoking forum and go do non smokers stuff...start exercising and clean those lungs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Varkov wrote: »
    So, I quit smoking yesterday at around noon. So yesterday was the warm up, and today has been my first full day smoke free. :)

Smoking since about 13/14, 22 now. About 15-20 Marlboro Lights a day.

I've never really made it more than 1 or 2 days, but I'm feeling very positive about it this time.

The craving this morning were pretty bad, nearly bought a pack on the way to the train station... Felt very light headed/dizzy over the course of the day, but didn't cave! But Jesus Danger Christ, Im getting the cravings every 20 mins or so (Or seems like it!) I would shoot myself in the foot for a smoke right now.

I reckon the next few days will get even tougher. Wish me luck!

I found the nicroette micro tabs very handy whenever you get that mad

craving just pop one under your tongue and it's gone, you might use 15

a day for the first week but you will see your usage dropping pretty rapid

after that and then no need for them at all. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I nearly lost the will to live my cravings got so bad

That's a bit extreme / pathetic isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Nah, I'd say eating like the below for a day is.

- Bunch of Grapes
    - Bowl of Tomato & Pepper Soup
    - Almond Slice (like a Macaroon Cake)
    - Salad: Tomatoes, Cucumber, Roasted Peppers, Olives, Lettuce, Onion
    - Pasta with Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Onions & Peppers in a Wine, Garlic & Basil Sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Getwellsoon saying it's a bit extreme is fine but the pathetic comment is too much.

Consider yourself warned.

Warning heeded! Giving up smoking is tough but there's no need to feel like giving up on life. I suppose I'm just one of those fortunate people who manages to stop smoking easily if I want to. Wish the same could be said for biting my nails :(

Ah - a never-smoked puritan. Or a part-time smoker who got bored. Or just a ****ing troll. Definitely a twat. :rolleyes: (hey look - I can use emoticons too)
    Warning heeded! Giving up smoking is tough but there's no need to feel like giving up on life. I suppose I'm just one of those fortunate people who manages to stop smoking easily if I want to. Wish the same could be said for biting my nails :(
    Just saw this reply. You can stop smoking easily if you want to you say? Did/Do you actually smoke? Do you go outside in the pissing rain/snow or gale force winds for a smoke? If it was easy we'd all quit. Your attitude is less than helpful. Just because you think it's easy don't belittle people's comments on quitting.

Macros42 wrote: »
    Just saw this reply. You can stop smoking easily if you want to you say? Did/Do you actually smoke? Do you go outside in the pissing rain/snow or gale force winds for a smoke? If it was easy we'd all quit. Your attitude is less than helpful. Just because you think it's easy don't belittle people's comments on quitting.

Yes, I did smoke heavily for many years. Yes I did go out in gale force winds, rain and snow. I didn't say it was easy, I just meant it's not worth losing your will to live over! Or, I dunno, it might be, I suppose it depends how strong a person you are. All I know is that when I've said "I'm dying for a fag", I can honestly say I've never literally meant it. I may have *thought* I meant it, but I've never considered giving up on life because of it. Even when I was a heavy smoker I always knew that wasn't the be all and end all of my existence... :P Sorry to have offended!!!

Even when I was a heavy smoker I always knew that wasn't the be all and end all of my existence... :P Sorry to have offended!!!

My apologies. I was feeling cranky that evening. No offence taken. And I hope none felt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

are you nearing day 28. what day are you on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭winterwonder

Hi Everyone! Just off the cigarettes today.. was looking at all the posts which are very helpful. I've been smoking for 6 years and I am 24 hour, the longest I've ever stopped for was 2 days, which is quite pathetic! I smoked about 20 a day. I really want to do it this time, any help would be really appreciated x :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Winterwonder - your quit day is the same as mine! How are you getting on with it??! How are you feeling. I must say i find these forums a great help when i am feeling down about quitting. Non smokers do not understand!

yungwan wrote: »
    Winterwonder - your quit day is the same as mine! How are you getting on with it??! How are you feeling. I must say i find these forums a great help when i am feeling down about quitting. Non smokers do not understand!

Very true keep up the good work, and try micro tabs if your getting it hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

bryaner wrote: »
    Very true keep up the good work, and try micro tabs if your getting it hard

Thanks bryaner - yes today has been tough but i dont want to put nicotene in my body again when i have been cold turkey for five days. seems to defeat the purpose! (to me, everyone different of course):o

yungwan wrote: »
    Thanks bryaner - yes today has been tough but i dont want to put nicotene in my body again when i have been cold turkey for five days. seems to defeat the purpose! (to me, everyone different of course):o

Well done on the cold turkey you have the back of it broke now, just keep

an eye on your eating i put on 2 stone in 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Macros42 wrote: »
    My apologies. I was feeling cranky that evening. No offence taken. And I hope none felt either.

If there's one forum where its acceptable to get cranky from time to time it has to be this one!

:D

Advertisement