Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTBackup on Windows Server 2003

Options
  • 19-01-2010 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

At the moment I'm just about squeezing the nightly backup into the time window. Back up is to external usb hard disk on another 2003 server over gigabit lan. Would increasing the process priority in task manager do anything for the speed of the backup. There little or nothing else going on overnight so I'm guessing it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

shayser wrote: »
    At the moment I'm just about squeezing the nightly backup into the time window. Back up is to external usb hard disk on another 2003 server over gigabit lan. Would increasing the process priority in task manager do anything for the speed of the backup. There little or nothing else going on overnight so I'm guessing it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference!

The slowest thing there would be the transfer to the HDD on the second server. Can you add it as an internal SATA/whatever HDD instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

testicle wrote: »
    The slowest thing there would be the transfer to the HDD on the second server. Can you add it as an internal SATA/whatever HDD instead ?
    OR change to Gigabit NAS storage 1000 Mbps VS USB 480Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

Sounds like the disk I/O on the USB drive probably a 5200 rpm sata drive you'll be lucky to get 6-8Mb/sec consistently on that about 22gigs an hour.
    So depending on the size of your data then this may be the bottleneck,also make sure that the AV is not scanning the USB drive as this will also be slowing things up.

Advertisement