Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jameson and Jack are alright, but Teachers is where it's really at. :cool: /sociallyawkwardpenguin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Whiskey is rank! Give it about two years and I'll be able to stomach it :pac: I'm in love with vodka and lime atm. And wine with lemonade. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Jameson and Jack are alright, but Teachers is where it's really at. :cool: /sociallyawkwardpenguin

13027352.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Whiskey is rank! Give it about two years and I'll be able to stomach it :pac: I'm in love with vodka and lime atm. And wine with lemonade. :P

If you need to dilute wine, you dont like it!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Mod note:

Can I remind everyone that this thread was set up to discuss attitudes to alcohol, not to just list what drinks people like/don't like. We have enough list-type threads on here, we definitely don't need this turning into one too.

Pigwidgeon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

Fad wrote: »
    I actually like the taste of some beers (Bavaria/Fosters/some nice german ones etc)

Miller tastes like vomit :(

You like fosters? well at least you don't like miller. try some craft beers, you'll never go back to that piss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

You like fosters? well at least you don't like miller. try some craft beers, you'll never go back to that piss..

Your post is two and a half years late. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I don't drink at all, drank a small bit up until my 18th (logical :L) - pretty much just one drink a night a few times, mostly to make my friends, who would not stop asking me to have a drink, shut up. Yay for peer pressure and great friends who respect your decisions... -_-

The negativity around not drinking is awful though. Occasionally, someone will respond with admiration, respect or a simple 'fair enough,' which is nice, but a lot of the time, people can't comprehend why you wouldn't drink. I often get asked why I don't drink, which I find odd, because I don't ask people who do drink why they drink, nobody does!

I've nothing against people drinking, it does bother me a little though when people drink with the sole intention of getting as absolutely out of it as possible. And I don't like to hear people say they can't enjoy themselves without alcohol if they also refer to people who don't drink as 'dry,' despite the fact that they do enjoy themselves without having to get drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Funny this thread should come up again just as I was discussing this with my friend.

I don't drink with any regularity really, but like I'm not a pioneer, let's say, and I don't really plan to be in the future when opportunities are a bit less thin on the ground. I like how alcohol makes me feel and thankfully I haven't gone horribly overboard as of yet. But I dunno, drinking does unsettle me a bit. Like when I look back on alcohol-fuelled nights, I actually can't see anything particularly good about them even when at the time I'd have been like 'WOOOO'. Basically, that they'd be absolutely shite and a waste of time as a sober person. But maybe that's the attraction...

Also it really annoys me when drinking and going out and that is all anyone talks about...I generally get on quite well with my work colleagues, but most of them are over eighteen and it feels like the constant topic for discussion is how drunk they got and how often they went out last week and like I just can't take part in that kind of discussion, nor do I think I'd find it particularly riveting even if I could...maybe I'll feel differently when my time comes , I dunno...right now it irks me quite a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I love alcohol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Conor108 wrote: »
    I love alcohol lol

I agree Conor. I agree.
    Togepi wrote: »

I've nothing against people drinking, it does bother me a little though when people drink with the sole intention of getting as absolutely out of it as possible. And I don't like to hear people say they can't enjoy themselves without alcohol if they also refer to people who don't drink as 'dry,' despite the fact that they do enjoy themselves without having to get drunk.

I'm one of "those". Basically when it comes to drinking, it's all or nothing really. Don't really drink for pleasure. Went out sober this one time and never again. Clubbing sober isn't my sorta thing. Fair play to anyone who can do it but pour moi, non. I just love going out really. I think it's great craic. Like I've done some stupid things obviously but nothing overly crazy. Well, depends on what you call crazy actually tbh.
    As a facebook like said this one time "great nights don't start with this one time I ate a salad..." or something along that line.

Judge me if you will, ye morally correct and responsible people.

#YOLO (lawl, yep. I just said that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm one of "those". Basically when it comes to drinking, it's all or nothing really. Don't really drink for pleasure. Went out sober this one time and never again. Clubbing sober isn't my sorta thing. Fair play to anyone who can do it but pour moi, non. I just love going out really. I think it's great craic. Like I've done some stupid things obviously but nothing overly crazy. Well, depends on what you call crazy actually tbh.
    As a facebook like said this one time "great nights don't start with this one time I ate a salad..." or something along that line.

Judge me if you will, ye morally correct and responsible people.

#YOLO (lawl, yep. I just said that)

I've no problem with 'your kind'. :P A lot of people I know who are fond of their alcohol seem to be great craic when they're sober too!

Yeah I think sober clubbing takes a little bit of getting used to, but it's fun, as long as the music's decent. :pac: I used to not really enjoy going out much at all, I'd rather stay in (back when I'd see the same people all the time in school anyway) but now I'm all like 'yay I get to see everyone' so it's great! I think I still prefer movie nights with a few friends, but still, I enjoy going out.

I love Facebook likes. :D (Off-topic but I saw one today that said something like "Katie Taylor poured milk into her Rice Crispies... They didn't make a f*cking sound." :L)

I don't like to judge people, drinking is grand sure. YO-feckin'-LO!

Side note: I have no idea how I'm going to survive college. For me, going on nights out during the week is a bit daft, let alone more than one night out during the week. Help. :L :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I am a terrible,terrible,terrible drunk and following a night where I did some huge damage to loads of people means now in going to go on the dry for a while.

Honestly the shame and embaressment just aren't worth it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oooh, this thread again!

I used to be awful preachy about drink. Never touched alcohol until I turned 18. I still stand by that decision. It was for the best.

6 years to the day since I turned 18, I can safely say that I know my limits. I know what I like and I know what I dislike. I know when I should have a pint of water, or when I should stop drinking altogether, and I admit that I sometimes keep going anyway. It always feels like the right decision at the time and the worst decision ever the morning/afternoon after.

I reckon I had 1 more than I should have had tonight. Birthdays are different though... >_>
    Also, it's worth spending a little bit extra on stuff that tastes nice.

TL;DR? Don't try to be a hero. Have as much as you know you can take. Then have water. Then drink tea before you sleep. Then have more water in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

You cannot underestimate the power of drinking some water before bed. If you forget though I find a bottle of Lucozade and a packet of Hunky Dory crisps to be tremendously helpful in combating the hangover. Morning evacuation and some fresh air too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I only ever get hangovers when beer or wine are involved. The lesson to be learned from this is that you should just drink lots of vodka. Or something...

Being honest, nights out are more fun when I'm drunk (went clubbing sober once and it was the worst) but yeah, people who only ever want to talk about that are insanely boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Maybe this is just because I'm a massive control freak, but I've never understood the attraction of getting really drunk, the thought of acting really stupid, embarrassing, and doing out of character things, sort of scares me. I might have a drink an odd time if I'm with people who are drinking, but I usually stop after one or two. I don't think I've ever had a proper hangover either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I hate going on nights out sober, especially if all my friends are drunk.

I do know my limits though. I go out maybe once a week or so, but I only get absolutely off my face every few months. I know my limit and its never worth the hangover. I usually have enough to get merry, but not to get legless.

When I was 18-19 just starting college I used to go totally overboard at least twice a week. Looking back, I was such a mess, going into college the day after a night out and having to leave lectures to be sick. Classy.

The last time I got inebriated was during Rag week, we stayed up drinking till 5am even though we were going on a class trip to Dublin at 7am. I spent the whole bus journey getting sick into a popcorn bag, and it turned me off drink for months.

I usually drink wine or vodka, I can't drink beer or cider at all. I do find that I'm worse if I don't eat before going out, but eating when I get home or drinking water make me 100 times worse. I'm guaranteed to be sick if I eat/drink before I go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Strangely alcohol seems to make me more quiet. This is the reason why I don't really drink, what's the point in going out if I'm not going to be sociable? I've more confidence when I'm not drinking because I'm not worrying about how others see me etc. Some people would say if I've less confidence drinking I'm probably not drinking enough but I really don't think that's the case. I don't have any issues with anyone drinking though and I'd never ask people why they are drinking like they'd ask if I'm not.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    When I was 18-19 just starting college I used to go totally overboard at least twice a week. Looking back, I was such a mess, going into college the day after a night out and having to leave lectures to be sick. Classy.

This is basically me, in a nutshell. First year of college, YOLO attitude, ended up making friends who were basically the same. But the thing is that I never get hangovers. Like I did ONE TIME (after mixing drinks being a dope..), and I can see why people are so weary of drinking especially if they have to deal with that sorta thing on a regular basis..
    I like to think I don't lack too much self confidence without drink in me. But I like being able to go to a club and dance without feeling awkward and all that.

I'm ridiculously immature though. Don't really mind owning up to that. I've only turned 18 and I'll probably look back when I'm old and crippled being like "ah gawd socz, you were some fool". But atm it's just like "ah gawd socz remember that time.." and laughing. Like I can easily say RAG week was the best week of my life and that was basically alcohol fuelled. I'm one of those people who don't know their limits. Or maybe I do know but I refuse to aknowledge them. That's where my immaturity kinda sets in, I think :o

It is scary waking up though on your couch with a basin beside ya when you could have sworn you went to bed that night straight after the club but being told different. Do not like blackouts..
    Togepi wrote: »
    Side note: I have no idea how I'm going to survive college. For me, going on nights out during the week is a bit daft, let alone more than one night out during the week. Help. :L :L
    Ah you get used to going out on weekdays :) I know people who didn't go out too much but still had so much fun. There's always clubs and socs to participate in :D be graaaaaaand. UL4LYF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

This is basically me, in a nutshell. First year of college, YOLO attitude, ended up making friends who were basically the same. But the thing is that I never get hangovers. Like I did ONE TIME (after mixing drinks being a dope..), and I can see why people are so weary of drinking especially if they have to deal with that sorta thing on a regular basis..

Yeah you will eventually. And with a vengeance. I managed to go first and year second year without really getting any, the only after-effect being a lack of sleep. Then they hit me like a truck in third year, thoroughly bad buzz.

Anyway I'm one of these people who drink til they get very drunk. My defence is that I don't see the point in drinking small amounts as most alcohol tastes absolutely rotten, while being in a tipsy state only makes me sleepy. For the most part drinking just put me into a merry mood and makes life seem less shitty than it is. So yes, I can understand why some people get destroyed on drink and I don't take much issue with it as long as they're not interfering much with others by causing fights, puking in someone's ear, etc.

That said, I've only touched alcohol once this summer and I don't miss it that much.

Edit: And I've no qualm with people preferring not to drink; it's more admirable than anything to feel disdain over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I know it's weird but I'm not really into drinking. I mean I like Bulmers, but I'd only ever have the one or two and if it wasn't for people saying 'go on, go on' I wouldn't feel inclined to have anything. Cheaper to just drink non-alcoholic drinks if I don't plan on getting drunk I guess.

A friend said to me before that I don't really understand the fun of drinking until I've got drunk, which is a fair point (what's the point of drinking if you're not going to get drunk), but I've realised I'm just not into drinking and I've accepted that 'meh' attitude towards it that I have.
    I suppose as well I don't like the idea of getting drunk because of the way you let your guard down. I'd be afraid of that.

I'm not into going out at night either (hate how loud it is and that you can't have a conversation without roaring:o) and have never gone out in Limerick (I go to UL), so that effects college life since that's what most people do. It's funny, I was explaining to one friend before that I'd much rather just hang around with them during the day then got out with them at night and got :eek: this expression!:pac: I'm a proper social freak! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I have no problem admitting that I need alcohol (or other drugs) to have a good time. I just can't let loose without it and I don't know why! I've never once gone out and not gotten drunk. I hate the part at the start of the night where everyone is sober, it feels so awkward! Alcohol oils the social machine between me and my friends when we're in the bar or club and I don't think any of us would enjoy a night without it. Maybe it'll change as I get older (I'm 18) but for the foreseeable I'll be getting drunk!

It doesn't bother me when I can't remember parts of a night. Part of the fun is the next day when you're trying to remember or when you're texting your friend trying to piece together the events from the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

This is basically me, in a nutshell. First year of college....

....I've only turned 18....

How did you manage to get through first year without being 18?

How did you manage to get through first year without being 18?

Most places just look for student id around Limerick on student nights. Twas fair handy bai. Supposedly hard for people in the likes of Galway and Dublin though if you're underage 'coz they have the DOB on the student id's and in general are more stricter..

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I always think it's sad (as in :( ) that some people are made to feel like weirdos for not being hugely into alcohol and getting completely ossified at every available opportunity. (Not bashing all of you that do that, whatever floats your boat!). The over-emphasis on alcohol that we have in Ireland is one of the things that I hate most about this country. It means that if you're not a big drinker then you're left with feck all social activites to do at evenings and weekends and especially during the summer. There's only so many times you can go to the cinema or whatever.

I'm not a huge drinker, never have been, and as a result I'm a terrible lightweight (cheap date :p). I'm not against alcohol, I just don't have much interest in it. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never been made to feel bad about it by anyone, but I feel that if the people around you will make you feel like some kind of social freak for something as unimportant as that, then maybe you need to find better people to hang out with. I know that a lot of it is down to immaturity and most people eventually grow out of caring what others do or don't do, but it's still pretty pathetic that it happens at all.

The funny thing is, even do I don't drink very often, or very much when I do, I quite enjoy the feeling of being slightly drunk. For me, it allows be to be a little less reserved. Having said that, I don't depend on alcohol to have a good time and I've only ever gotten completely plastered once which was more bad luck than a conscious decision. Other than that, I'm very reluctant to completely lose control of myself when I'm drinking - the thought of not knowing how I got home or not being able to remember half of what happened on a night out is terrifying to me. I think I'm lucky really, I can't imagine what it's like knowing that you definitely won't enjoy yourself unless you're fairly drunk. It just seems bizarre to me.

Like a good few other posters here it would seem, I hate nightclubs (with the exception of 1 or 2). I just don't see the appeal of extremely loud, mostly crap music and crowds of (studpidly drunk) people everywhere. Plus, whenever I do go to a club, I always seem to end up in the smoking area for most of the night as a lot of my friends smoke, and then I come home reeking of stale smoke. Not pleasent. If I am drinking, I much prefer house parties or just getting together with a few friends for some drinks and having the LOLs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yeah you will eventually. And with a vengeance. I managed to go first and year second year without really getting any, the only after-effect being a lack of sleep. Then they hit me like a truck in third year, thoroughly bad buzz.

Anyway I'm one of these people who drink til they get very drunk. My defence is that I don't see the point in drinking small amounts as most alcohol tastes absolutely rotten, while being in a tipsy state only makes me sleepy. For the most part drinking just put me into a merry mood and makes life seem less shitty than it is. So yes, I can understand why some people get destroyed on drink and I don't take much issue with it as long as they're not interfering much with others by causing fights, puking in someone's ear, etc.

That said, I've only touched alcohol once this summer and I don't miss it that much.

Literally everything you've said is the same for me too :P I got hit badly by hangovers at the end of 2nd year, if I drink looooads of water fairly soon after I stop drinking I'm usually ok in the morning, but the odd night we wouldn't get back til 5 or 6am and drinking water at that stage doesn't make any difference, the hangover is horrific.

Any time I've planned nights out this summer I've ended up being on antibiotics or sick at the time so I've only had alcohol once this summer as well. I have to say I do miss it, but that's also down to not seeing much of my friends this summer and needing to just go out!!

We had a night out this year drinking only champagne and sparkling wine (classy eh? :pac:) which was one of my favourite nights out ever. It didn't have a lot of the effects that some alcohols have. I don't drink vodka any more since even the idea of it turns my stomach (gone are the days of doing it straight out of a naggin...getting old! :(), usually I'd have Captain Morgan's or Malibu...nom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've really gone off drinking lately. I had a bad night a few months ago where I completely blacked out, left all my friends whose apartment I was meant to be staying in and got a taxi home to be woken up by my mum and not knowing how I got there with €150 less in my bank account. I haven't been able to touch spirits since then, I was even at a night where there was a captain morgan's promotion and they were giving it away for free and I still couldn't stomach it. Now if I'm going out I'll just drink malibu or cider, I can't handle much more than that, I've ruined myself.

The whole working 50-60 hours a week which is mainly nights and weekends also has had an effect on my going out. Considering I don't get home until midnight on weekends I rarely bother going out as working in a hot busy kitchen hungover is just not an option for me, I did it once or twice and to be honest its stupid and dangerous.

While I was away I think I had maybe 10 drinks over the two weeks, I'd say if cider was more readily available in Europe I would have drank more, but I don't like wine and beer so I just left it. My boyfriend isn't a huge drinker either so that helps too. I dunno, I love going out and having a laugh with my friends and I still sometimes have the mood where I'm like I want to go out and get shítfaced tonight but it's less and less often. I'm more of a I'll have a nice glass of cider after work to wind down while watching a movie type drinker these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I used to need alcohol a lot to have a good time on a night out but this summer I haven't really needed it as much. I had a pretty bad blackout experience at the start of the summer in which a really nice taxi man brought me home/to my door after I nearly walked out in front of his taxi, I have absolutely no recollection of any of it. I tried to pay him with a receipt from the bar apparently.

So nowadays I only really have a few pints, get suitably tipsy but no further. I have quite a high limit despite being quite small/skinny but I definitely found my limit that night and went passed it. I've had really enjoyable nights on only a few pints since and at least I remember everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You cannot underestimate the power of drinking some water before bed. If you forget though I find a bottle of Lucozade and a packet of Hunky Dory crisps to be tremendously helpful in combating the hangover. Morning evacuation and some fresh air too.

Cant +1 this enough. Pint of water before you go to bed will make all the difference in the morning. My friends never believe me when I tell them this :L

Advertisement