Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I've found that myself and heineken just don't agree. I'll have a nice pint of it somewhere - the next weekend I'll have a pint and I'll end up sick as a dog.
    On a night out I'll have maybe 3 pints of bulmers in the pub before the club. In the club I might have another pint depending on how early it is. Might do a few shots then depending on my mood ! Have found myself drinking far less on a night out recently, gets funny watching how messed up people get !

What are peoples preferences when it comes to shots ? I usually stick to sambuca or tequila if its rounds. I will nearly always have a baby guiness, they're gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

What are peoples preferences when it comes to shots ? I usually stick to sambuca or tequila if its rounds. I will nearly always have a baby guiness, they're gorgeous :)

Hate sambuca! :O I do jagerbombs because I think they're ok, I like purple haze and mickey finns.. That's about it! I'm an extremely fussy drinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Hate the taste of tequila and sambuca. Love baby guinness, love aftershock, love Kamakazis(Red&blue aftershock with a head of Baileys).

More of a cocktail fan though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    love Kamakazis(Red&blue aftershock with a head of Baileys).

Every club in Limerick has a different name for that combo!

I've been known to make delicious White Russians for my friends.

Might not make them again for a while though. Feeling like going off drink for a month or two.

Every club in Limerick has a different name for that combo!

I've been known to make delicious White Russians for my friends.

Might not make them again for a while though. Feeling like going off drink for a month or two.

Have also heard it called a Pearl Harbour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Whatever is on promotion :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Tequila, definitely. I'm one of those weird people that enjoys the taste of tequila.
    I like apple sours too. I'm not a big fan of Jagermeister or Goldshlanger but I'd still drink 'em if that's what everyone else was having.

Sambuca, however, is a liquefied form of pure evil that can only have been concocted by Satan himself. :mad: Disgusting stuff altogether.

Tequila, definitely. I'm one of those weird people that enjoys the taste of tequila.
    I like apple sours too. I'm not a big fan of Jagermeister or Goldshlanger but I'd still drink 'em if that's what everyone else was having.

Sambuca, however, is a liquefied form of pure evil that can only have been concocted by Satan himself. :mad: Disgusting stuff altogether.

Nomnomnom Jager! But only out of the freezer or in 'bomb' form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Whiskey is by far the best spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I rarely do shots. I don't really see the point, I'd much prefer to buy a pint that'll last me. I've had very bad experiences with tequila so steer well clear, my friends don't even ask if I want it they know not too.

I'd drink baby guinness if they did big glasses of it, I think it's delicious. On the occasions I do have a shot it's usually sambuca or jaegar but I try and avoid them as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Hate the taste of tequila and sambuca. Love baby guinness, love aftershock, love Kamakazis(Red&blue aftershock with a head of Baileys).

More of a cocktail fan though!

that was a purple haze back in my day :pac:

I don't ever drink much,lately if I'm going out for a big night I'd drink Morgan's and coke,but it's expensive.I don't mind as long as I enjoy my drinks the whole getting it because its cheap never sat well with me,I go out for the craic and to enjoy time with friends,not to get drunk for its own sake.

Cider is my usual if I'm in a pub though having a few "quiet ones".The upsid eis the lack of hangover, I don't drink much when I'm out and if I'm drinking,especially in a night club I get through 2-3 glasses of water through the night.

Tl;Dr I'm not one for drinking and end up being the chirpy f*ck at the hous eparty when everyone is dying the next morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

I've had extremely bad experiences with alcohol when I was younger, particulary with my propensity for vodka and cider. Bulmers really churned my insides as I used to drink it exclusively to anything else. I've never had blackouts or forgetting what happened the night before, more of the dry retching and feeling my stomach is going to explode. The worst thing is this would always happen when I somewhat sobered up, so I felt everything!

Now being 21 I've come to realise that I will never really enjoy drink to the same degree as my friends. Not that I mind, saves money, no hangovers and the overall health benefits. One nagan(or a shoulder if feeling saucy) will leave me completely satisfied for the night, I'll be nice and tipsy yet fully in control.

Believe me however, that I've gotten a lot of sh1t off my friends for drinking habits when I first cut down. However since then, they've either gotten bored or now respect my decision and leave my well alone.

And honestly I find the whole 'real men drink beer' schtick hilarious. Yeah buddy, enjoy your estrogen filled heino while I stick to my hard liqour.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

kateos2 wrote: »
    I rarely do shots. I don't really see the point, I'd much prefer to buy a pint that'll last me. I've had very bad experiences with tequila so steer well clear, my friends don't even ask if I want it they know not too.

Funny that, I used to get through multiple bottles of whiskey with a mate and we'd be fine but he said he blacked out on 4/5 shots of tequila. Thought it was odd but thought it was much odder when I saw it in action. :pac:

For me I hope none of you get to the point I've gotten to with alcohol. Generally drink either the strong, cheap lidl stuff, the red wine on offer or the 6% cider. The other night I was ill quite a few times and late on was talking alone to a friend, thought I was fine but a few minutes later was vomiting blood. Didn't put me off having 8 cans in 90 minutes followed by pints 2 days later. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Jackobyte wrote: »
    As well as the Heineken/Budweiser/Coors Light that I tried, there were a few people drinking odd/cheap brands. Karpacki is horrible stuff altogether. Whiel the others left a horrible taste, it almost caused me to retch. A load were drinking it because it was 4 cans for €5. *shudders*

My brother drinks karpacki, I laugh at him :P
    I'm surprised by the number of people who don't like beer :eek:

Nah, Many of the mainstream beers do actually taste like piss, but im sure there are beers out there that do taste nice.

Soooo, my story....
    Ive been going out more often since I turned 18, mostly because I knew I wasnt going to be turned away from the door when I did go out. I was one of the youngest lads in my year, most of the year behind me were older, which meant I missed out on a lot around 3rd/5th year..

I can honestly say ive never been bladdered/polluted though. Often when I go out, Ill drink a few glasses of cider with the lads, leave it at that.
    Other times ill drink spirits, And sometimes Ill just drink lucozade for the night. I could never understand this facination with "Gatting" or whatever else ye call it, going drinking in a field just bewilders me tbh. Id much rather be inside a quiet bar/area and sit down and chat/have a laugh with mates, not be going up to the bar ever 20 mins for a drink.

Funnily enough I was out tonight (came home earlyish because im working in the morning) :P

@sarah beep - it was called a strawberry daiquiri :pac:

I could never understand this facination with "Gatting" or whatever else ye call it, going drinking in a field just bewilders me tbh. Id much rather be inside a quiet bar/area and sit down and chat/have a laugh with mates, not be going up to the bar ever 20 mins for a drink.

Knacker drinkin we call it around here, I love it. :D I hate sweltering pubs full of BO that isn't mine so I notice it and I like sitting outside with friends and drinks. Mind you a mate and I do have an excellent spot to do it just where a river and it's tributary meet. How someone wouldn't enjoy sitting on the banks on a sunny day with good company and a couple of cans and the fish jumping out is beyond me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

amacachi wrote: »
    Knacker drinkin we call it around here, I love it. :D I hate sweltering pubs full of BO that isn't mine so I notice it and I like sitting outside with friends and drinks. Mind you a mate and I do have an excellent spot to do it just where a river and it's tributary meet. How someone wouldn't enjoy sitting on the banks on a sunny day with good company and a couple of cans and the fish jumping out is beyond me. :)

Different to sitting in a field to get drunk.

Sitting outside enjoying a few drinks > Sitting in a field getting drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Beer garden...

Different to sitting in a field to get drunk.

Sitting outside enjoying a few drinks > Sitting in a field getting drunk

We do technically be in a field and we do get very, very drunk though. :pac:

kateos2 wrote: »

I'd drink baby guinness if they did big glasses of it, I think it's delicious. On the occasions I do have a shot it's usually sambuca or jaegar but I try and avoid them as much as possible.

I find that I can't stomach pints after a certain amount, that's when I switch to spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

It's called lushing here. :pac:

I've gone once. It was in sunny weather, relaxing in a field, lying out under the sun, with a cold Bulmers. It was definitely a thousand times nicer than being in some dark bar somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Knacker drinkin we call it around here,

Would it also be known as bush drinking?

Not my kinda thing ;)

Jackobyte wrote: »
    It's called lushing here. :pac:

I've gone once. It was in sunny weather, relaxing in a field, lying out under the sun, with a cold Bulmers. It was definitely a thousand times nicer than being in some dark bar somewhere.

Aye, brilliant to be with only company that you actually enjoy, low cost, nice setting and no threat of some twat jumping you as you leave. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Aye, brilliant to be with only company that you actually enjoy, low cost, nice setting and no threat of some twat jumping you as you leave. :pac:
    Tbh, access to where we did it was way more dangerous than the risk of being jumped. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I went backwards in terms of drink.. progression? Started out drinking straight vodka, awful stuff, won't go near it now. Moved onto beer, now a cocktail person, but my go to drink is southern comfort and oj. Hate beer with the exception of desparados and the occasional corona. As far as shots go, love tequila but hatehatehate jaeger and sambuca.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I love white wine.. It's possibly the best thing ever

Me too :D It tastes sooo nice. I can't stand red wine though.

Anyone ever tried the shot tequila rose ( think thats what its called anyway).. I seem to be the only one that doesn't like them! :(

Am I the few people who actually enjoy the taste of Jager? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

seanbmc wrote: »

Jager is wretched, in my opinion at least. Nothing like a bit of Jack Daniels though ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm a fan too. :) I haven't had much of it recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I did shots of Yager at a birthday party many moons ago. Like it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Me too :D It tastes sooo nice. I can't stand red wine though.

Anyone ever tried the shot tequila rose ( think thats what its called anyway).. I seem to be the only one that doesn't like them! :(

Same! I hate red wine..

Lidl do great cheap wine for pre drinking may I add.. one bottle has great success rates.. <_<

Advertisement