Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alcohol Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

seanbmc wrote: »
    Am I the few people who actually enjoy the taste of Jager? :)

Love it, too dear though. Also last time I had a litre or so straight from a bottle and I didn't exactly have a glorious night. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

amacachi wrote: »
    Love it, too dear though. Also last time I had a litre or so straight from a bottle and I didn't exactly have a glorious night. :pac:

When I was in Croatia it was 5 euro for a bottle! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

There was a small hut built for knacker drinking in a wood just outside my local town. We called it 'The Shack'. Sadly somebody knocked it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

There was a small hut built for knacker drinking in a wood just outside my local town. We called it 'The Shack'. Sadly somebody knocked it down.

Same with my town. It too was called the shack. Although most people drank down on the beach in a huge dip, aptly known as 'the dip'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

kateos2 wrote: »

Same with my town. It too was called the shack. Although most people drank down on the beach in a huge dip, aptly known as 'the dip'.
    We drink in "The Field". God, us teenagers are a creative bunch. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

@sarah beep - it was called a strawberry daiquiri :pac:

Nom nom nom!!
    seanbmc wrote: »
    Am I the few people who actually enjoy the taste of Jager? :)

Only if it's taken out of the freezer
    Jackobyte wrote: »
    We drink in "The Field". God, us teenagers are a creative bunch. :pac:

We didn't go bushing coz we didn't knacker drink in a field. We did it under the bridge......we called it bridging :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I've only been "drinking" once since I moved home from college this Summer, and that was when college friends were down. I've had a few glasses of wine and stuff with the 'rents with dinner, but that doesn't really count. And even that has only happened a handful of times.

I fear I've lost my awesome, banter-edge. It was bound to happen sooner or later. It's not like I haven't had the opportunity as well, which is even more upsetting. I was in a pub last night and had Fanta Lemons for the evening, for example.
    I'm really just not bothered at the moment. Sob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Yeah i swerve nightclubs as much as i can - admission fee too expensive (the ones in Galway can be), too sleezy, drinks are a rip off, too packed, can't hear anyone, and you end up losing people during the night.

Im only 23 but i hate the nightclub life, tbh i always have, even in uni. I just went because all my friends wanted to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Yeah i swerve nightclubs as much as i can - admission fee too expensive (the ones in Galway can be), too sleezy, drinks are a rip off, too packed, can't hear anyone, and you end up losing people during the night.

Im only 23 but i hate the nightclub life, tbh i always have, even in uni. I just went because all my friends wanted to go.

I'm 18 and feel the same! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Note to self:don't drink Rum anymore.

• Advertisement

Note to self:don't drink Rum anymore.

Every time I set sail with Captain Morgan the seas are awfully rough the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I've given up drink for the forseeable future for a wide variety of reasons.

I've decided to tell ye on the internet so that I can't chicken out later and pretend I never made this decision. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Nom nom nom alcohol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Hard to beat remembering everything you did right after a sober night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Nothing better when you crack open that first bottle, preferably Budweiser, Heineken or Corrs Light (I could settle for Stella) and the beautiful smell hits your nostrils! I love the smell of a fresh cold beer. Magnificent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I enjoyed some proper German beer at Octoberfest near the IFSC, steins of Erdinger for 10 euro.

I had a bottle of non-alcoholic beer last night. It was quite nice, and beer isn't/wasn't ever really my drink of choice either. It had a slightly syrupy aftertaste that I wasn't mad about but otherwise there was nothing wrong with it.

I had a bottle of non-alcoholic beer last night. It was quite nice, and beer isn't/wasn't ever really my drink of choice either. It had a slightly syrupy aftertaste that I wasn't mad about but otherwise there was nothing wrong with it.

Really? Had a bottle of alcohol-free Bavaria a while back after a night out and it nearly made me retch. Tasted likes suds, mingin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Really? Had a bottle of alcohol-free Bavaria a while back after a night out and it nearly made me retch. Tasted likes suds, mingin.

bavaria will always be ****e ;)

all beers are the same and neither are all non alcoholic beer - get a good beer and the non alcoholic version will probably still beat 90% of run of the mill beers under the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Is there many non-drinkers here? I always get weird looks when i tell people i've never drank (not even a sip).

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    bavaria will always be ****e ;)

all beers are the same and neither are all non alcoholic beer - get a good beer and the non alcoholic version will probably still beat 90% of run of the mill beers under the table

Aye, fair enough. Just couldn't believe they called it beer. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Is there many non-drinkers here? I always get weird looks when i tell people i've never drank (not even a sip).

The one beef I have with non drinkers is when they shove it in your face and constantly make a point about themselves not drinking. It's admirable but you don't have to mention it every time there's a drink around. Now I'm not saying you do it but I just had to share my gripe :pac:

RHunce wrote: »
    The one beef I have with non drinkers is when they shove it in your face and constantly make a point about themselves not drinking. It's admirable but you don't have to mention it every time there's a drink around. Now I'm not saying you do it but I just had to share my gripe :pac:

This never happens when I'm with non-drinkers. They're offered drink, they say no thanks, then a drinker makes a big deal about it!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I go off drink from time to time, usually for sports-related reasons. Even one or two drinks the night before can have a noticeable negative impact on training. I had 3 pints tonight after 10 days without a drink, and I can feel the effect. The biggest impact seems to have been on my wallet though! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My best friend doesn't drink and never has. She never makes a big deal of it but it really annoys me when we're out and 'friends' practically trying to force feed her drink. I don't see the big deal about it, she's usually one of the most fun people on nights out.

I go through phases of drinking. Sometimes I'm just not that bothered with it and will have one pint for the whole night, or I regularly decide to drive and not drink.

Also non-alcoholic kopparberg is delish. Ive only ever seen it in shops though, never when I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Tried drinking for the first few times in the past few weeks, not too bothered about it though, being a non drinker saves money and headaches at the very least!
    The one beef I have with non drinkers is when they shove it in your face and constantly make a point about themselves not drinking. It's admirable but you don't have to mention it every time there's a drink around. Now I'm not saying you do it but I just had to share my gripe
    TBH it's almost universally the other way around, unless you have someone who will make a big drama about it. It's always people who want to know what you're drinking and why all the time that cause the fuss.

I don't think anyone ever drinks Bavaria for the taste!:P

I tried a non-alcoholic Baltika in the Franciscan Well in Cork. It is indeed quite nice, as is the alcoholic version. I do like the taste of (decent) beer so I'll definitely have it again some time. It was €3.60 for a pint bottle so it was priced reasonably enough too. Drinking Coke all night would probably be cheaper but I can't handle that much sugar in one go.

As for being pressured into drinking, I think drinkers who decide not to drink on a particular night have a harder time of it than people who never drink. That's definitely the case from my experience anyway, having lots of non-drinking friends.

I don't think anyone ever drinks Bavaria for the taste!:P

I tried a non-alcoholic Baltika in the Franciscan Well in Cork. It is indeed quite nice, as is the alcoholic version. I do like the taste of (decent) beer so I'll definitely have it again some time. It was €3.60 for a pint bottle so it was priced reasonably enough too. Drinking Coke all night would probably be cheaper but I can't handle that much sugar in one go.

As for being pressured into drinking, I think drinkers who decide not to drink on a particular night have a harder time of it than people who never drink. That's definitely the case from my experience anyway, having lots of non-drinking friends.

I went out with the lads a while back, just for a few on a friday evening like. I had work the next morning swo I had 3 lucozases (350mL I think??) And I was dying of a sugar hangover the next day. I think the same volume of very strong Russian vodka would have been less detrimental to my health!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I've never experienced that. I've never had a drink, and the "Go on, have one! Don't be a dry-balls" comments I've had tend to convince me that it's the opposite way around far more often.

That said, anyone who shoves their non-drinkiness or anything like that in your face can be irksome to the max so I can imagine what you mean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

This bugs the crap out of me. In the last few months, I've cut back greatly on how much I drink on a night out; I can't afford it and I despise hangovers! And I always get someone saying "ahhhh have a few more and get proper drunk, you're sooooooooooo much fun when you're really drunk!!!11!!!!"

Bleh, feck off like:(

I decided I wouldn't go out at all the last 2 weeks cos I've been scraping pennies and it's just too expensive, and I've never experienced the like of the nagging I've gotten over it. It's so annoying like:(

Advertisement