Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 year old sunken lane

Options
  • 19-01-2010 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

we have an old cart way that id say dates back before 1840's. It was the original access way to our house.

today old a fraction remains.

Does anybody have similar examples

what were they used for?

Do i still have the right of way?

thanks
    ciaran
    images click link

http://iskeraulin.wordpress.com/old-cartway/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

There are a number of these at home on my Dads farm where I grew up. They are simply entrances to dwellings as far as I know.

Many have been removed for modern pasture management but remember that your average farm today would have been many individual smallholdings back a few hundred years ago.

As for right of way, I'm not sure. You might have to check up with the Land Registry who hold information like this. There may be a Deed of Grant document for access by the occupier of the servient property (your house), or there might be a right of way by prescription, which just means you've been using the route so long that you have established a right of way in effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

You can also look at the local area with the 1911 census. You an also look up griffits valuations of the area.

Townslands were a very small areas so it can be easier to find than you think.

I feel a Time Team episode coming on.

Advertisement