Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heatpumps AIR vs Vertical GS

• 19-01-2010 3:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Looking for initial pricing comparisons between Air to water heatpumps and vertical bore hole Ground Source Heatpumps?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Hi, we found ourselves having to make this decision before Christmas because the horizontal wasn't going to work. There was only a couple of hundred euro between the 2 systems. The only additional cost is the cost of drilling down. That's going to cost 25e per metre. allow 400e for steel as well. They need to put in steel to support the bore hole at the top. We were told that the vertical gs was better than both Air to Water and Horizontal. apparently the cost of drilling is much less than what is was 3 years ago which is possibly why people didn't bother going vertical - we paid 3.5k, if it was at peak of the boom it would've been well over 5k. So i was told anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Thanks mr edge to you, do you mind me asking what company you used and the total cost? You can pm me the details if not allowed post here

thanks for the help so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Hi edge

Why didnt the horizontal not work?

Are there any issues with water? eg iron manganese etc

If there is, does this mean that the borehole is useless and you have wasted your money?

Are there any other costs associated with maintaining the borehole?

Lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It would've worked but it would've been more costly to run the heatpump. I was working off a site map that was used for planning but the actual site that is in my partners name is smaller. We would have had more shorter length loops and my understanding is the system operates best with fewer longer loops. For every bend in ground source pipe the heatpump has to work harder. Some would probably dispute those points but to us they were logical and understandable which led us to go vertical.

Advertisement