Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby monitor interference

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Finally got little one into some kind of routine, napping well etc so now I can try to do some work during the day at home.
    However our monitors have dreadful interference, no matter what room or area of the house I try to work in... really loud white noise, lowering volume doesn't get rid of it. Any idea what causes this? Mobile phone? Wireless? Anything to solve it? Its the popular T*my brand. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Our tommee tippee monitor is exactly the same. Drives me nuts. I have no idea how to fix it (which isn't helpful I know but I thought i'd sympathize.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We had this on our one , took it back , got a new one .... can't remember the model/make now

Could be a fault , try it in a different enviroment ( different house ) then trot back to the shop

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

we used the angel care monitors 4 two years and there brilliant couldn't recommend them enough. No interference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Thanks guys, we'll have to stick with them I'm afraid, and as they were a present we can't return them. Sometimes the interference goes, but more often than not its there so I figure there has to be a reason... will ask around some more. Thx for quick replies.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

Having seen the post , we had the BT ones , and we had terrible feedback / noise ... I spoke to the help line , then took them back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Chuchu wrote: »
    Thanks guys, we'll have to stick with them I'm afraid, and as they were a present we can't return them. Sometimes the interference goes, but more often than not its there so I figure there has to be a reason... will ask around some more. Thx for quick replies.:)

Can you change the Frequency they use?

Yep there's a channel select button on there that I've tried and still the same... it's more quiet over the past few mins, it's been stationary... I wonder if walking around does it? Not very portable if so! But then is goes fuzzy when stationary other times?? There's is a helpline on there so I'll give them a buzz later. Thx again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From my experience most of them seem to be the same tbh...

Mobiles definitely interfere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Squarejocks

Hey Guys,

We had Baby Monitors before and they were the same, loads of interference. Then, I was in B & Q one day and I needed to get new cordless phones for the house. I picked up this twin phone set by Phillips and when I got home realised that they had a monitor option on them. Best baby monitors I have ever had. You could hear everything, no loss of signal, no interference AT ALL.

Check them out, they were only €69.99.

I must find out the model number but I'm sure the newer version have the function as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The interference is usually from two things:

1. Sub standard design of the reciever.
    2. External noise sources being picked up from the device.

What you can do about them:
    1. Buy a better monitor. :)

2. Minimise the noise sources that cause the interference. If it's a mains device try looping the lead a few times (coil it up a bit). This will reduce the amount of EM radiation being picked up by the copper in the power lead.

3. The new CFL bulbs can cause havoc with monitors. So can laptops, microwaves, fridges, phone (DECT and mobile), and pretty much just about anything that generates an electro-magnetic field. Move the monitor around (or try it on it's side or back). You will hear a marked improvement.

4. If it's mains, try a different socket. The nearer to the transmitter, the better the sound quality.

HTH.

Some very helpful tips there Jaden, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Chuchu wrote: »
    Yep there's a channel select button on there that I've tried and still the same... it's more quiet over the past few mins, it's been stationary... I wonder if walking around does it? Not very portable if so! But then is goes fuzzy when stationary other times?? There's is a helpline on there so I'll give them a buzz later. Thx again.

Do you have it clipped to your belt? And do you have a mobile phone in the pocket near it? You'll also get terrible white noise if the two modules are turned on and the one in the baby's room can "hear" the parent's module output.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Thanks so much for the advice here guys. I changed the channel on my monitor and now it's perfect - crystal clear. I just never thought to try it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Was advised and can see that cordless phones and wireless broadband all cause interference with baby monitors. How ever i was more shocked to discover that if my neighbour tunes her radio to a certain frequency she can hear whats going on in the room where the monitor is....:eek:

Advertisement