Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Hard drive failure...

• 19-01-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I jave a Dell 5000 running Windows XP. It will not boot now, and i suspect it is due to a hard drive failure. I ran diagnostics and i get Reason code 7, and also the drive fails the read tests.

Some questions :
    1. The drive is a Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 (160 GB, 8MB cache). I want to order a new drive (even if the current one is ok i want to have a back up - or if its fried i will set it up as a slave and see if i can get any of the data off it). I saw this one on Komplett : (baracude 500 GB, 16MB Cache)
    <http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=430708&cks=ASS&assoc=33B93A9A-5D6F-4008-8B95-5338CC3F2AA6&gclid=CKeQ6paGsJ8CFQjyDAoddHa9dQ&gt;

Is this directly compatible with my system ?

I will install the OS on the new drive and set the old as a slave and see what happens.

2. Are there any other options to get the old HDD working. Ive tried all the repair and restore options i could find, but to no avail. I did run chkdsk and it got to 50% but then stopped - would this suggest the drive is at least partially functional?

Appreciate any help as i have family photos on the drive which i really would hate to lose. I can provide more specifics on the problem if ye need more information etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you are around the Cork area give me a shout and I can help you out, its not hardware failure just software corruption.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yes that drive should be fine, it might be a good thing to also look at the Samsung green range, have heard good things about them.

Will PM you back with some steps to take to fix this error.

MC

Advertisement