Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God loves a trier

• 19-01-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

New log name for 2010 - only 19 days late :D

Mon 18/01 - 7 miles, in 1 hour.

I usually do a spinning class Monday evenings, but had a headache from being cooped up in the office all day, so went for a run to try clear it. A misty murky evening, but I had a really good run. Glad I chose the run instead of the class.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Good luck with the new log RubyK
    Enjoyed reading your progress in the last one
    Hope you hit your targets for the coming year - are you gonna post any up yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

DustyBin wrote: »
    Good luck with the new log RubyK
    Enjoyed reading your progress in the last one
    Hope you hit your targets for the coming year - are you gonna post any up yet?

Thanks Dusty :D You're putting me under pressure now!

Well, I want to do Dungarvan at the end of the month in under 88 mins (that was my 1st and last 10 miler time).

I want to do my first half marathon, and get in under 2 hrs.

I'll also get a few more 10K's under my belt, and hopefully improve my times (51 mins at the moment).

Wed 20/01 - 7 miles. Mile 1 and 2 didn't feel the best, but I got into it after that, and my legs felt strong. A lovely evening for a run. Calm and cool.

This evenings winter league will be the opposite, by the sounds of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks Dusty :D You're putting me under pressure now!

Well, I want to do Dungarvan at the end of the month in under 88 mins (that was my 1st and last 10 miler time).

I want to do my first half marathon, and get in under 2 hrs.

I'll also get a few more 10K's under my belt, and hopefully improve my times (51 mins at the moment).

You should defo get under 2 hours in the half judging by your 7 miles in an hour training session. Good luck with it anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

smmoore79 wrote: »
    You should defo get under 2 hours in the half judging by your 7 miles in an hour training session.

+1 a bit of pressure on ya is good ;) Best of luck with 2011's training and goals.

• Advertisement

Thurs 21/1 - 4 miles in wind and rain, with the Winter League. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but I did find Matties Hill tough the second time round.

Sat 23/1 - 10 miles. I wasn't feeling great all morning, but made myself get this run in. For the first 4 miles I felt awful and my head was all over the place (questioning my sanity in entering for Dungarvan next week :o). That eventually eased, and the next 5 miles were more enjoyable. Last mile was a toughie, but all in all glad to get it done. Got home at exactly the time I planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

+1 a bit of pressure on ya is good ;) Best of luck with 2011's training and goals.

I looked at my post during the week after posting it. It had 'best of luck with 2010'. How stupid am I, I thought, so I edited it to say 2011 :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice run there. Feels good when you finish strong(ish) after a tough start.

I looked at my post during the week after posting it. It had 'best of luck with 2010'. How stupid am I, I thought, so I edited it to say 2011 :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice run there. Feels good when you finish strong(ish) after a tough start.

:D:D It made me laugh tbh - I was thinking I need to get 2010 out of the way, before I can think about 2011!

Yep, glad to get the run done today, even if it wasn't the best feeling in the world :o

Mon 25/1 - 1 hour spinning class. Tough going enough, but I'm putting it down tiredness, after having a really bad nights sleep Sunday - had a horrible nightmare filled night :( Felt I was being chased all night - now if I could only run as fast in reality as I do in my nightmares, I'd be happy!

Tues 26/1 - 7 mile run. First mile I felt tired, but that passed and my legs felt strong. I felt a bit of a niggle in the side of my foot, now can still feel it this morning, and I hope it disappears! I don't know if it's the new runners (have them two weeks) or something more :confused:

• Advertisement

Thurs 28/1 - 4 miles in Winter League. Felt awful yesterday evening, but forced myself out the door. Glad I did, as I had my best night since the league began - only by seconds, but enjoyment wise too. Got myself some voltorol gel and used it on my foot the last couple of days, and it seems to have done the trick. Will be slapping it on before Sundays race in Dungarvan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of Luck on Sunday RubyK

Sosa wrote: »
    Best of Luck on Sunday RubyK

Thanks a mill Sosa :D No need for me to wish you the same, it'll be like a light training session for you! Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Best of luck on Sunday RubyK,

showry wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday RubyK,

Thanks showry - I'll give you a shout (if I'm able) at mile 4 :D

Fri 29/1 - 4.2 miles. Wanted to have a last easy 4 miles before Sunday. They weren't as easy as they should have been :confused:

No running today. The dog will get a decent walk instead!

best of luck tomorrow rubyk
    here's hoping for a mid 80's (and maybe even something in the low 80's??)

best of luck tomorrow rubyk
    here's hoping for a mid 80's (and maybe even something in the low 80's??)

Thanks DustyBin - for me mid 80's would be a dream, high 80's more a reality. I can't even imagine low 80's!

Hope you have a good one!

Sun 31/1 - Dungarvan 10 mile Race. I didn't enjoy the first 3 miles, I don't know what was wrong with me! Got into it after that, but found mile 6 hard, and my stomach didn't feel the best. That past after the water station at mile 7 and finally enjoyed the rest of the run.

Bet my previous 10 miler by 5 mins, and crossed the line in 1hr 23 mins. Very happy.

Dungarvan was a brilliantly organised race, there was great support along the way, and the goody bag at the end was very generous!

Fantastic rubyk!!
    83 mins would count as low 80's in my book - brilliant
    You're spot on about the race - everything about it was class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Well done, you did really well. Fair play to you, all your training paid off :D

great run RubyK, well done to you

Thanks a mill showry! Nice to put a face to the name :D

Mon 2/2 - 1 hour spinning class. I thought I'd struggle, but my legs felt good for the most part. I did start to feel tired on the last jumps set, but it a good class all the same.

Tues 02/02 - 7 miles. It was a mental struggle to get out last night. I really didn't want to, but forced myself out the door. It actually went very well, and apart from a niggle in my upper thigh, my legs felt strong, and if I had remember the 1000 mile challenge, I would have gone on another mile or so, to get me over the 100 :o

Rest day today.

Thurs 4/2 - 4 miles with the Winter League. Miserable night, but the worst was waiting for start time, once you got moving, it was alright. Didn't feel *right* for the first mile and half, but was fine after that. Still can't break 32 mins though, and only one more week left to do it :o

Sat 06/02 - 7 miles (hilly miles). I was hungover. It wasn't nice. Lesson learned. Red wine on a Friday night + early morning run = torture. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

RubyK - you're putting in serious effort and dedication - and it appears to really be paying off.....
    I've missed the last 2 winter leagues and feel completely unfit at the min.
    I'm kinda delusionally thinking - "sure, everyone else is taking it handy" - and then I see your log.
    Fair play to you - keep up the effort.

Hangover and running = never a good combination....:)

Thanks for that RHR ;)

Don't worry, nothing like a rest to recharge those batteries! Only 1 week left in the Winter League - bet you'll surprise yourself on Thurs evening and have your best run.

Are you going to do the Anne Valley Challenge on Saturday? Weather looks good for it. I'll be staying off the red wine on Friday night :o

• Advertisement

Thanks for the positivity - but I'll be very very surprised if I have my best run on Thursday.....

Anne Valley - I was sorta thinking about it.
    Do you register on-line? Or on the day?

You can register now, or on the day, before 11.30.

Here's the link http://www.annevalleyrunning.webs.com/

They are expecting a good crowd of around 300. If the weather stays like this, it would be perfect!

Thanks for that.
    Talk about giving me absolutely no excuses as to why I can't register....(by providing the actual web-link....).......... :D

I think I'll sign up for it tomorrow, and as you say, hopefully the weather will be good on Saturday.

Good stuff RunHomerRun!

Mon 8/2 - 1 hour spinning class. My legs felt very tired, and I didn't really enjoy it. Ah well, just putting it down to one of those nights!

Tues 09/02 - 7 miles. Lovely cold calm evening. Didn't feel all that great at mile 3, but it passed.

Wed 10/02 - 5.10 miles. A pretty uneventful run. Wasn't my best, wasn't my worst. I can feel a couple of niggles today and I'm also pretty tired, so I'll keep it handy in tonights last Winter League night. Can't wait to say goodbye to Matties Hill!

• Advertisement

Can't wait to say goodbye to Matties Hill!

I hate that hill. I don't know how ye can race up it. Twice. I just do it on my lunchtime runs and I dread it. And if I go the opposite direction I end up running up the Cleaboy hill and the Cork road. Can't win in this city.

Yep, it's a dose alright! While I'll miss the motivation of running in a group, I won't miss that hill (twice). The only negative thing about the winter league for me, is doing that lap twice - it's a physological thing!

Fair dues to you for battling it on your lunch break, that's commitment :D

Fair dues to you for battling it on your lunch break, that's commitment :D

Even Mattie's hill is a relief from work :D

Thurs 11/02 - 4 miles with the Winter League - it was the last night of the series, and a I got a PB! I really enjoyed it, and I'm going to miss these group runs!

Taking a rest this evening, and then it's the Anne Valley Challenge tomorrow!

Congrats on the pb and good luck in the 5 miler tomorrow

Maybe get under 41 mins?? - no pressure :D

• Advertisement

Congrats on the pb and good luck in the 5 miler tomorrow

Maybe get under 41 mins?? - no pressure :D

No chance Dusty! It's a right testing course - although I won't be hungover doing it like last week :o There will be plenty who'll do it under that time but not me! I know someone who's planning on 29 mins :eek:. I quickly changed the subject when they asked my my predicted time!

PB - great stuff RubyK.

As you said, its a pity the Winter League is over - group running great, and it gave me a reason to get off the sofa.

Someone you know is planning 29mins - thats scarily incredibly fast.

Enjoy tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No chance Dusty! It's a right testing course - although I won't be hungover doing it like last week :o There will be plenty who'll do it under that time but not me! I know someone who's planning on 29 mins :eek:. I quickly changed the subject when they asked my my predicted time!

Well judging from your 10 mile time I think you should probably be looking at a 5 mile time in the 38-39 minute range... good luck :)

nice one RubyK, good to finish it on a high

Well judging from your 10 mile time I think you should probably be looking at a 5 mile time in the 38-39 minute range... good luck :)

Bless your positivity rainbow kirby, but not a hope in hell :o Thanks though!

RunHomerRun, did you sign up for it? If you didn't, you can register tomorrow before 11.30 :D

showry, glad to have had a good run. I reckon everyone had a good one last night! The last few plods up Matties Hill were sweet, knowing I wouldn't have to tackle it again (well not till the next winter league ;)).

Sat 13/02 - Anne Valley Challenge 5 miles - 41 mins. Happy with the time, as I thought it would be more like 43 mins.

1 1/2 mile run home from parents house after it. Freezing it was! Felt a niggle in my ankle and kness, I'm not sure these Kayanos 16's are right for me.

Sun 14/02 - 4 1/2 mile run. Decided to head to the beach as it was ages since I'd been for a run there. Gorgeous morning, and legs felt good. Wore my old 15's and they felt much better than the 16's. No niggles. Looks like I'm going to have to find another pair of 15's and dump my 16's :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm in my third pair of 15's because I didn't like the 16s as soon as I put them on. Rather frustrating, because it means I'm probably going to have to find a new brand before DCM training starts :eek::mad:

Nice one on the 5-miler btw :)

Thanks rainbow kirby :).

That run was the last I'll be doing in the 16's! I'm really disappointed with them. I'm back in my old 15's but I'm bidding on a pair at the moment (€35!). Fingers crossed I get them.

Good luck with the hunt for a new brand, let me know how you get on!

Fair play on the 41mins Rubyk!!
    You just gotta keep surprising yourself

Hey RubyK, great stuff in Anne Valley.
    I decided to run it after all....your enthusiasm is almost contagious....:)
    Cold dry day - perfect conditions really.
    The hills were testing and it was a pretty tough course.
    I would have paced myself a bit better if I had known whereabouts the hills were.
    Great turn-out, approx 380 I believe.

Did you get your 15s?

• Advertisement
Advertisement