Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God loves a trier

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Fair play on hitting the 1,000 mile mark a couple of weeks ago
    Thats a fair amount of running you've done htis year - neither Kilkenny nor Dublin will be any bother to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

DustyBin wrote: »
    Fair play on hitting the 1,000 mile mark a couple of weeks ago
    Thats a fair amount of running you've done htis year - neither Kilkenny nor Dublin will be any bother to you

Thanks Dusty! The ole nerves are kicking in though. Time is flying by waayyy too fast :eek:

Thurs 16/09 - headed to the beach for a handy 5 miles. 1st mile wasn't great, my legs felt tired and tight. Loosened up after that though, and enjoyed the last 4.

I'll rest up until Sunday, and then hope for the best :o

Sun 19/09 Kilkenny Half Marathon

My second half marathon - first one was Enniscorthy on 27/06 - 1.56.10. So was hoping to do KK in 1.55.00.

It was a cool, dark windy morning, but a nice atmosphere around the startline. I couldn't see the pacers, so started off midpack. Garmin issues, meant I was about 100 metres behind, which was annoying (but purely my own fault). Kept the pace conservative and got chatting to a lovely girl from Cork for the first 5 miles. At the first water stop (which it literally was, as there was no water poured out) I pushed on a bit. At mile 6 my stomach was talking to me, so I took a glucose sweet. At mile 7, and the second water station, I took a gel. Stomach settled down, and I pushed on a bit more. I felt pretty good (which suprised me), even the headwind didn't bother me like it usually would. Mile 10, upped the pace again, and pushed on home. Found the last mile very tough, and even though I could see the castle, it seemed to take forever to get to the finish line, but I gave it everything I had to get over the line. Couldn't believe it when I heard my name being called out for 1hr 49mins 20sec finish. A new PB :D

I'm really happy with this, as I was starting to doubt myself, and wondered if Enniscorthy had been a fluke for me. I won't be able to keep that pace for 26.2 miles, but it is a confidence boost all the same.

Splits (God, my pacing isn't the best!)

Mile 1 8.36
    Mile 2 8.57 :o
    Mile 3 8.40
    Mile 4 8.52
    Mile 5 8.47
    Mile 6 8.32
    Mile 7 8.27
    Mile 8 8.14
    Mile 9 8.12
    Mile 10 7.55 :eek:
    Mile 11 8.01
    Mile 12 8.01
    Mile 13 8.00

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That is fantastic Ruby. Well done, brilliant finish.

• Advertisement

Cheers RacoonQueen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RubyK wrote: »

Splits (God, my pacing isn't the best!)

Thats a negative split overall which is exactly what you want.

Well Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great time, you're well set for sub-4

I thought you were supposed to try and keep your splits even Ah, I learn something new every day :o

Thanks mrslow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, fantastic time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done, that's a great time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Nice confidence boost there. Well done. Keep up the good work.

Thanks mcs :)

Mon 20/09 - Headed off to the beach. Legs were very tired for the first mile. The tide was in, so it meant a lot of plodding through very soft sand around the dunes. Found it tough enough. 6 miles in 56 mins (3-4 mins slower than other days).

Thanks mcs :)

Mon 20/09 - Headed off to the beach. Legs were very tired for the first mile. The tide was in, so it meant a lot of plodding through very soft sand around the dunes. Found it tough enough. 6 miles in 56 mins (3-4 mins slower than other days).

If you're training on the beach you're going to fly on tarmac;)

mrslow wrote: »
    If you're training on the beach you're going to fly on tarmac;)

I only have two routes mrslow - 1 tarmac and 1 beach. I alternate between the two during the week, and combine the two on my LSR. It's getting a bit mundane though.

How are you feeling after the half? Did you make a trip to the torture chamber yesterday?

I only have two routes mrslow - 1 tarmac and 1 beach. I alternate between the two during the week, and combine the two on my LSR. It's getting a bit mundane though.

How are you feeling after the half? Did you make a trip to the torture chamber yesterday?

I did, not so bad this time though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hey Ruby, well done on the PB - great running.

Just out of curiousity was there many running it - just wondering with the Dub one on the previous day

Thanks shazkea ;)

There was 238 runners in the half marathon, and 187 runners in the 10K (half started an hour before the 10K, but we all finished at the same point).

It was limited to that amount, as once we got out into the countryside, the roads were extremely narrow and not closed off to traffic, so for safety I suppose they had to limit numbers.

Tues 21/09 - 6 miles in 51 mins. 1st mile sluggish, but ok after that. Right knee is a little bit niggly, but hopefully nothing to worry about.

Thurs 23/09 - 5.78 miles in 52.03 mins. Strong headwind on the beach today. All in all a bit of a m'eh run.

LSR tomorrow morning. Kinda dreading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Mon 13/09 - Woo hoo! My new garmin arrived so I had to take it out for a test run

6.07 mins in 53.29 mins (obviously, garmin can't make me run faster :o) It was very windy for the first 3 miles and the hill at mile 4.5 nearly killed me. But it was an enjoyable run all the same.

1hr 49mins 20sec finish. A new PB

I'm so jealous, you got a Garmin:(

Great time for Half. Your flying, keep up the good work, not long now!!!

Thurs 23/09 - 5.78 miles in 52.03 mins. Strong headwind on the beach today. All in all a bit of a m'eh run.

LSR tomorrow morning. Kinda dreading it.

What LSR you doing tomorrow? Although you'll fly, not a bother to you...;)

Thanks JEmily, I'm loving the garmin! Got a good deal online, so I treated myself :o (gone are the days of getting excited about shoes/clothes, now it's just all about training gear!).

LSR tomorrow will be 20-ish. I'll see how it goes anyway.

Thanks JEmily, I'm loving the garmin! Got a good deal online, so I treated myself :o (gone are the days of getting excited about shoes/clothes, now it's just all about training gear!).

LSR tomorrow will be 20-ish. I'll see how it goes anyway.

Good luck, you'll be fine, you've done all the hard work at this stage. 19 is my max so far, hopefully increase that to 20/21 next weekend. Enjoy it anyway.

JEmily wrote: »
    Good luck, you'll be fine, you've done all the hard work at this stage. 19 is my max so far, hopefully increase that to 20/21 next weekend. Enjoy it anyway.

20!!!!

Sat 25/09 - headed off out the door at 9.00am, after hiding my water/energy drinks. Mile 1-11 went well and I felt good. But then the wheels started to fall off. A pinching feeling in my hip started to annoy me (it then ran down from my hip to my knee). Got to mile 13 and stopped to stretch out a bit, hoping it might do some good. I was at the beach at this stage, so figured the trail/sand might be better for me than the road, so I made up the miles there, before ringing my husband to collect me. 20.66 miles. I got to 19 miles in 3 hrs - the last 1.66 took me 18 mins :o I'm really worried that if this happens on the day, I won't be able to finish :( I've been very lucky not to have had any real issues in training, until now, but I'm still very disappointed, and a bit freaked.

Hoping if I rest until Mon/Tues, it might resolve itself. Could it just be one of those things?? Touch wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play on your run this morning! You've knocked out a good 20+ miles so you're all set for the big day! Keep an eye on the niggle but don't worry about it too much, they're normal at this stage and the lower mileage in the run up to DCM will have you well set on the day :)

Thanks xebec :)

I'm disappointed, as I had to stop every couple of miles, from mile 14 to try and get some relief. The frustrating thing was that I felt fresh and could have happily gone on another few miles, if it wasn't for the hip. But it's not sore now, and I can walk fine, so maybe I'm over-reacting. I kept telling myself it's normal to feel pain at this stage of training :o

I'll lash on the voltrol, and see how it goes.

I don't think you've anything major to worry about. Rest day and a bit of a walk will do you good for next 2 days. I don't think you'll have it again on next run TBH.

Well done on getting the mileage in, i know it's frustrating to feel aches now.

Votrol is brill, i'm using it at mo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sat 25/09 - headed off out the door at 9.00am, after hiding my water/energy drinks. Mile 1-11 went well and I felt good. But then the wheels started to fall off. A pinching feeling in my hip started to annoy me (it then ran down from my hip to my knee). Got to mile 13 and stopped to stretch out a bit, hoping it might do some good. I was at the beach at this stage, so figured the trail/sand might be better for me than the road, so I made up the miles there, before ringing my husband to collect me. 20.66 miles. I got to 19 miles in 3 hrs - the last 1.66 took me 18 mins :o I'm really worried that if this happens on the day, I won't be able to finish :( I've been very lucky not to have had any real issues in training, until now, but I'm still very disappointed, and a bit freaked.

Hoping if I rest until Mon/Tues, it might resolve itself. Could it just be one of those things?? Touch wood.

Get yourself a foam roller Ruby K, asap. At the risk of giving out medical advice, it sounds like a bit of an IT band thing.

Advertisement