Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God loves a trier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sat 06/03 - am - feeling a bit crap so I took to the beach with the dog. 1 mile run (a lot more for the dog!).

PM - Still feeling crap, and in not in a running type of place, as a compromise to dragging myself out the door I decided my LSR would turn into an easy run, and see how I was feeling. After mile 1, I was sweating (wtf) and considered stopping off in my parents house - and hiding there for an hour or so :o but I resisted and decided to take in a scenic couple of miles and see how that went. After a dodgy start, 11 miles later, I got home, feeling much more positive, although my legs were tired. It's the longest run I've ever done. 8.45 min pace.

Sun 07/03 - an early 4.10 miles on one of the coldest mornings I've ever felt. It was more of a shuffle than a run, yesterdays effort was evident in my legs. Didn't bother with the watch.

Good notes:- longest run to date, and my ankle isn't giving me any more problems.

Bad notes:- I think my husband is getting a bit fed up with my running (and he doesn't know about my plans for the rest of the year! oops)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Holy f*ck RubyK, you're putting in massive effort AND serious miles.

So - on Saturday evening you did 11 miles, you're longest run yet, and then on Sunday morning, much less than 24 later, you ran again, over 4 miles....

I don't know where you're getting the motivation and energy from.

Are you still finding the runs;
    a) exhilarating and enjoyable?
    b) or have they become more of a chore?

Whichever (a or b :D) - keep up the good work.

Hey RunHomerRun, how are you keeping?

Thanks for the nice words, but it's not all that much in comparison to other peoples efforts :o I'm doing the Wexford half in less than 2 months, so trying to build up my longers Saturday runs. And I love getting out early on a Sunday morning, even for a few miles - especially on the beach. Sets me up for a good day!

But I have to say that even though I don't always want to go for a run, 100% of the time I'm happy once it's done, so in answer to your question, mostly A :D

Mon 08/03 - Felt awful most of the day, with a head cold, so I cancelled my spinning class, and took to the bed :o

Tues 09/03 - plenty of paracetamol Monday and Tuesday morning, and I felt much better. Got out for a 7 mile run after work. A bit slower than last week, took me 59 mins 04 secs.

Wed 10/03 - 6.75 miles in 57.05 mins. 1st mile I felt tired, but I perked up after that. Ankle is still niggling away, using Voltoral gel every day on it. I'm hoping it doesn't develop into something troublesome.

• Advertisement

Thurs 18/03 - got out of work early, so headed to the beach. 4 1/2 miles. Felt fairly crap and light-headed from mile 2 onwards. Didn't help that I forgot my jellybeans :o A bit of a disaster.

Sat 13/3 - up and on the beach early with the dog. Planned a 10-12 mile run for the afternoon, but after 5 mins on the beach and I felt awful. Stupid headcold.

No running done - spent the afternoon in bed.

Sun 14/3 - the guilts of not running yesterday got to me, so I ventured out early. 6 miles (mostly on sand). Tough going, and I was sweating far more than I should of :eek: Head cold still lingering, but not as bad as yesterday.

I'm disappointed not to get a LSR in, but such is life.

Mon 15/03 - 1 hour spinning class & some weights beforehand. Headache didn't really help, but all in all a good enough session.

Tues 16/03 - 7 miles (road/trail/sand) average pace 8.20 pm. Pretty windy, but an enjoyable run.

Wed 17/03 - 6 early morning very hilly miles with my cousin. I found this tough going. I'm guessing the few unexpected Tues night beers didn't quite help. Average pace 8.30 pm.

Sat 20/03 - 8.75 miles. A dreadful run from the very start. Legs heavy, and my head light. Nearly tripped up twice and thought I was going to faint at one stage. Couldn't wait to get home. Feeling very demoralised after it. :(

• Advertisement

Sun 21/03 - after Saturdays failings, I prayed I wouldn't have a repeat preformance, and headed out for an early run. 5.5 miles. It was windy, and damp, but I really felt 10 times better about this run, than after Saturdays effort.

Mon 22/03 - 6 miles at 8.20 mile pace. Legs felt a bit tight, but a good enoug run.

Tues 23/03 - joined up with a running group, thinking I'd fall in with someone who runs at a similar pace to me. No such luck. They were 7 - 7.30 min mile runners, and by mile 3, I was falling behind.

7 miles in 56.10 mins. The fastest I've ever run over that distance. It was really tough (a very draggy route) and I was morto being Paddy last. Was never so glad of the rain, it was a welcome relief!

Wed 24/03 - A clear the head evening run. I really enjoyed it, everything worked and it felt good. 5.75 miles in 48.50 mins. A mix of road, trail, and sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RubyK – just read through you log. You are some hard worker! Fair play to you. Maybe my 2011 log (if I get through 2010 that is!!) will start to look a bit like your current one. I’d love if it did! Is the half you’re training for the Enniscorthy one or have I missed a Wexford one? Under 2 hours is a brilliant goal and it seems like you’ll be well able for it. My goal for my first (and hopefully not last) half is to cross the finish line in a semi animate and conscious state!!

Hey claralara, you're log is a lot more impressive than my first log, you're flying girl and putting in huge effort! You'll fly the half!

The half marathon I'm doing is in Wexford Town on May 2nd. It's not far away at all, and I'm getting slightly worried, as my LSR's haven't really happened over the last couple of weeks. I'm doing a 10K on Sunday, so there'll be no LSR again this weekend.

Thurs 25/03 - rest day. My legs felt quite tired, so I opted for a few hours in the cinema. Enjoyed the popcorn over load :o

Fri 26/03 - didn't feel the best after work, so decided not to go for my planned 4-5 miles.

Sat 27/03 - 4 1/2 miles. Took it very handy as I want to be fresh for tomorrows 10K. Felt very light headed again today (third Saturday in a row). Hoping I'll feel 100% for tomorrow. Tough course to get around :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

best of luck tomorrow RubyK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oh I'm away for that wexford half - Kinsale 7s weekend - so not only will I not be running a half marathon, I'll be undoing a whole load of good work :p Keep up the good prep work! I think I might try do one before the planned one at the end of June..we'll see!!

Best of luck tomorrow!! :)

Sun 28/3 - Splashworld 10K - 51.35 mins. A PB by 1 min 25 seconds.

I'm very disappointed with yesterdays preformance. Yes, a PB, but I found it excrutiating. After 3K my legs turned to jelly (wtf :eek:), and from then til 9K I went from feelings of headache to nausea to light headedness. Finished the last 1K strong, but all in all I'm feeling very disheartened by the experience.

I don't know whether to continue with the planned half marathon in May. It just seems like a step too far, judging by the last few weeks. I'll have to see :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

It could be just an off day, it happens everyone from time to time. You could also have a bug or something. Take heart in the PB and move onwards and upwards. Well done on geting through it with a PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

It could be just an off day, it happens everyone from time to time. You could also have a bug or something. Take heart in the PB and move onwards and upwards. Well done on geting through it with a PB.

+1

Well done - you kept going and even got a PB! That's amazing! Hopefully it was just a bad day and the next run will be better.

Thanks Misty Floyd and RunRabbit, maybe it was just a bad day :o Feeling more positive about it today.

Mon 29/03 - 1 hour spin class. Legs a bit tired, but all in all a good enjoyable class.

Mon 30/03 - 6.65 miles. Went with a couple of friends, to try and banish the memories of Sunday. It didn't go as bad as I expected, but still not the best either :o I suppose the gale force winds and driving rain didn't exactly help. God, I'm such a moany ass lately.

Took a couple of days off, to see if I could shake these feelings of self-doubt.

Fri 02/04 - 5.75 miles. Not too bad, took it handy. Didn't time it, just wanted to get out.

Sat 03/04 - 7.25 miles. Not the best, but not the worst. Again, didn't time it.

Sun 04/04 - 5 miles. Headed out the country, nice morning for a run, hoping it would cancel out the planned excesses of Easter Sunday!

Mon 05/04 - rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Really well done on the pb at the 10k Rubyk, whilst you're disappointed it's still a pb and a great time - there's lots of people could only dream of that sort of time.

Keep the head up and look forward to the Wexford Half, you've been running a lot of big miles lately and you'll be ready for the distance no bother. The training seems to go in waves where sometimes it's easier than others, you've probably just hit a low patch - I know that I've been through that myself anyway.

Thanks Dusty ;) It's not the time as such as the way I felt for 9K of the 10. I felt horrendous. It freaked me out, and left me deflated for days afterwards. Maybe I just need to HTFU!

Wed 10/04 - 6 miles. Took the watch with me, but forgot to turn it on. Clever me :o A lovely evening, but I had a too heavy top on, and was a sweating mess by the end.

Thurs 08/04 - 6 miles. Well I think I found my mojo (it was hiding in the sand!). A really really enjoyable run, and I felt I could have kept going, but I was tied for time, so had to cut it at 6 miles.

Please God, let this be the turning point, and my streak of misery/moaning be gone.

My LSR tomorrow will be testing though, have a family get-together tonight, which are notorious for being lively. I'll try to be good ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Yesterday must've been the evening for mojo finding (had a great run myself after 2 miserable weeks)! :D

Maybe the bad running vibes went with the bad weather, and it's due to be a great weekend so let's hope the weekend runs are even better! Enjoy!

Advertisement